Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Seriously-- How much do YOU eat at one time?

My doc has said that by far the main reason they see for band problems (slips) is chronic overeating. He loves to give me a little 3-4 oz dixie cup and say 'This is your portion size--period!" He says that if I am hungry soon after, then have a snack, but be careful to stay within the portion guidlelines. I absolutely do not want to sabotage myself or my band, nor do I want to feel hungry much of the time. Fortunately I have found that if I eat the right kinds of foods then that amount is usually satisfying (ah yes-- follow the darn rules!), but sometimes even then I am still hungry. This morning I had about 1/4 cup for Breakfast, felt kind of full and stopped. However as the day goes on my capacity seems to increase.

My understanding is that the pouch is 1/4 - 1/2 cup in size. Took me awhile to realize I needed to be measuring volume rather than weight-- dang it! I have seen various recommendations for portion size ranging from 2 oz. to 1.5 cups to just "eat till you're full." I think my doc said that the 3-4 oz. rule applies to the dense Protein portion of my meal and that I could have limited vegetables along with it though he'd really prefer I have those as a snack later because they are mostly Water.

Eating 1.5 cups at a sitting sounds like alot of freedom to me, but won't doing that stretch our 1/2 cup sized pouch? What am I missing?

Took me awhile to realize I needed to be measuring volume rather than weight-- dang it!

I found this interesting, as my doctor says it's by weight, not volume. Think about it, after you chew it all up, 4oz by weight is still 4oz by weight. Volume, however, changes.

So I weigh it out, and it seems fine.

See - this is what scares me. I am at the 3 month mark and I have not had my first fill yet. A good example is tonight - I know I ate too much all day and then at dinner I ate too much again. Isn't this why I got the band in the first place. It is supposed to be a tool to assist me with changing my habits, but it is so hard. I keep asking myself "what the heck is wrong with me that I have no will power and can't do this".

I need to further reduce my portions - I have gotten better, but I must improve.

I understand the weight part, but do you mean volume changes because it is chewed up and broken down (and fits in the pouch)?

Right. Imagine you wanted to eat a salad: Start with 3oz of lettuce.

3 oz of lettuce by volume can be a bite or two depending on the type you chose. By weight, you have a great base (and tons of greens) for a salad. You chew it all up until you can't chew anymore and 3 oz of lettuce ends up around quarter to a half cup by volume - if not less.

Ever cooked spinach? Think about how much fresh spinach it takes to make a tiny amount of cooked spinach.

I suppose I'd ask for clairfication from your dietician. Mine shows me the measuring cups and says "you can have all that will fit in here". That's it.

I think what makes it hard is that food is not shaped like a measuring cup! LOL It's hard for me to visualize some foods and their amounts. I still struggle with the portion size thing too. Since this last fill, I've had to learn the hard way (getting stuck/vomiting). I am doing much better the last couple of weeks and just might get the hang of this.

I keep saying that my brain hasn't caught up and me and my band haven't learned to live together yet! It's only been 3 months, so I'm trying!

~C

Turler-- sounds like my doc and your dietician are coming from the same perspective.

Good example Felicia-- I guess my doc is correct about veggies being mostly Water. The volume measure is more pertinent to dense Protein I suppose. I measured steak and Italian sausage (last two meals) and found that 1/3 cup came to about 1.8 oz so I guess 1/2 cup would be about 2.7 oz. or so.

This morning I'm having 1.8 oz. Italian sausage on 1/2 a biscuit with 1/2 slice of American cheese. I'm about half-way through it. not full yet but getting there.

My doctor told me to measure by size, not weight.

popup-head-portion_guidelines_en-US.gif

You know portion size is important...but weighing and measuring food can be so inconvenient! Here's how to visualize common portion sizes.

<TABLE class=output><TBODY><TR><TH>PortionGuidelines_Fist.gif

spacer.gif

</TH><TH>spacer.gif</TH><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM-WIDTH: 0px">1 Fist = 1 Cup

One cup of Cereal, spaghetti, vegetables, or cut fruit is about the size of your closed fist.

spacer.gif

</TD></TR><TR><TH>PortionGuidelines_Palm.gif

spacer.gif

</TH><TH>spacer.gif</TH><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM-WIDTH: 0px">1 Palm = 3 Ounces

A three ounce serving of meat, fish, or poultry is about the size of your palm (minus fingers and thumb) or a deck of cards. 2/3 of your palm is about 2 ounces of meat, fish, or poultry.

spacer.gif

</TD></TR><TR><TH>PortionGuidelines_Thumb.gif

spacer.gif

</TH><TH>spacer.gif</TH><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM-WIDTH: 0px">1 Thumb = 1 Ounce of Cheese

A chunk of cheese the size of your thumb is about one ounce.

spacer.gif

</TD></TR><TR><TH>PortionGuidelines_ThumbTip.gif

spacer.gif

</TH><TH>spacer.gif</TH><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM-WIDTH: 0px">1 Thumb Tip = 1 Teaspoon

One teaspoon of Peanut Butter, Mayonnaise, butter or sugar is about the size of the tip of your thumb. Three thumb size portions make up about one tablespoon.

spacer.gif

</TD></TR><TR><TH>PortionGuidelines_Handful.gif

spacer.gif

</TH><TH>spacer.gif</TH><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM-WIDTH: 0px">1 or 2 Handfuls = One Ounce of snack Food

For small foods such as nuts and small candies, one handful equals about one ounce. For chips or pretzels, two handfuls is about one ounce.

spacer.gif

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Awesome! I have also read that you can eyeball Proteins by imagining a deck of cards - a portion the size of a deck of cards is approximately 3oz (give or take, depending on the protein).

I've always kind of scoffed at the half cup thing, my plate usually has more than half a cup on it. But truly, once things are chewed down, I'd say I'm usually well under a cup.

Its confusing coz I can eat things like bread and often eat a sandwich. But it's usually had the crusts cut off and not a huge amount of filling, that chews down to probably half a cup.

salad, well I can eat well over a cup, but its all Water, chews down to nothing. I can eat an entire movie size popcorn, fast too, but that's all air.

Solid foods, like meat and bread, I'm limited on size. I probably put about a cup of meat, vegies and potato on my dinner plate and eat 3/4 of that. I eat the standard 1/2 cup serving of Cereal with a bit of sliced fruit on top.

so, yeah,probably half to one cup is what I eat at a time.

I would like to weigh in. 352 pre-op I was banded by Dr. Atkinson & Dr. Soong. 4 ounces on scale is what we are allowed, 3 meals a day(SWCC). I've talked with Dr. Teng's band people & they told that they can go to 1/2 cup (measuring). These are the Doctors that do most of the banding in Las Vegas. A new place to me that is banding is Dr.Hanna. I will try to contact him & attend his seminar. Banded 1/15/08. Lost 120 pounds. Dr. Curry of Cincinnati, Ohio. He has great web sites & on line seminar. He e-mailed me that he has several guys that have gone as long as me without a fill with RealizeBand. Dr. Emery will do my blood work next month. At first he told me to have by-pass surgery so I could lose morbid obesity quicker. He is on band wagon now. I will stick to 4 ozs. weighed. Good Luck All. Hasta Pronto, George:thumbup:

I typically eat no more than 1/2 cup at a time. On the days I am looser I eat 1 cup. It really depends on my restriction level.

I typically eat no more than 1/2 cup at a time. On the days I am looser I eat 1 cup. It really depends on my restriction level.

...that restriction varies day to day? One day a small amount is more than adequate and the next it isn't! I agree with Jack on the portion practice thing but I think it would be easier to train my mind if the same portion size provided a similar level of satiety.

Jachut-- great summary-- You summed up my thoughts well. I too often start with more on my plate and don't finish. Of course, in the old days, I'd have several plates and ALWAYS finish.

George-- AMAZING results-- and without a fill? Wow! I do think the band is more forgiving when empty so you definitely have some flexibility on portions. What's your secret?