Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Really freakin out right now!

I agree completely with Alicia above, I too wanted to take an active roll in my own weight loss, I was not interested in any way going the malabsorptive route. It simply was not an option for me, I am a cancer survivor, and want to be able to increase nutrition should the need ever arise again----not malnourish myself on a daily basis.

I am over 2 years out, and I cannot remember the last time I PB'd to the point of "vomiting"--------there have been 2 episodes though since being banded!! Once I ate a couple bites of a glazed donut, when I had tighter restriction....omg, it felt like it grew to the size of a dozen donuts!!!! Then another time, I was eating on the run, tossed a popcorn chicken bite in my mouth, chomped roughly a couple times and swallowed. As it dragged down my throat, I realized what I had done, and sure enough, it was not chewed well enough at all, and it too come back up. But that is it! I have had things I should have chewed better, and reminders that there is a band in there, but to vomit it up all the time, no way!

I eat red meat without issue! Always have since being allowed onto regular foods post op. I have rib eyes waiting to hit the grill as I type! I eat totally different now than before, but that was a concious decision.

I did not want to have the issue of weight regain. I have a friend who has had bypass, and is now once again, about 15 pounds away from her all time high, the weight is back. But when she lost it all so quickly, she did nothing-------she looked peaked all the time, her skin and her hair were dull---she did not exercise....I think she avoided doing some of the hardest, most essential work in losing weight. Learning to eat properly, learning Portion Control, and learning to recognize when you are really physically hungry as opposed to head hunger....takes time! Losing the weight a bit slower, and having to learn these things eating with the band leads you to an understanding of what is really going on when you feel totally out of control around certain foods, and why your body reacts to some foods---like carbs triggering hunger a few hours later. These lessons are not easy. But learning them with the band, is MUCH easier than trying to learn them without it!

I had a total unfill a couple of months ago preparing for my Tummy Tuck. I have not regained a pound. I learned with my band! I could probably eat much more now----but I know what portion size I need now, and I have proven my body does not need nor want more!

I also knew myself, and I like sweets on occasion. I like taking my grandkids for a small ice cream cone--and I wanted to eat a piece of cake with them on their birthday....and I do. I believe being able to enjoy your favorite foods on occasion in a positive, peaceful (no worries of dumping) way to be part of a happy lifestyle I fully see myself living for the remainder of my life.

Now will my band last the remainder of my life? I have no idea! I hope so......but if not.....I am down over 100 pounds, I am in control again, and I LEARNED from it. We did this work together, I was not just a passenger on the WL train. I was the conductor! And it has been well worth the work. If I were to find myself bandless, I would not be obese and bandless---I am prepared now-even without a band (or an unfilled on in my current case) to eat as a bandster and remain in control.....it is worth it....I am worth it!

Kat

How about someone posting Lap-Band AFTER a failed gastric bypass? I would LOVE to see that! :smile2: When I went to see my PCP to talk about my decision to have a Lap Band I said to him it would be a complete life style change. He agreed with me. Ice cream and chips aren't on the menu. I don't believe for one minute the band failed that woman, SHE failed her band! Obviously she never changed her poor eating habits and then blamed the band. There are several women with whom I work with that have has gastric bypass. They still eat junk food, it just goes through them. One woman who had RNY has osteoporosis from the surgery. She also has to go in for Iron transfusions. I see my boss swallowing handfuls of Vitamins every day. I wonder how much of that she actually absorbs. Another co-worker is considering the Lap-Band because she has gained back every ounce she lost with RNY. She eats ALL DAY. Then there is another co-worker who will probably never work again. While driving her school bus she passed out from the lack of nutrients in her body. This is the ONE of the 6 RNY co-workers who really and truly watched what she ate, took her vitamins, drank whey Protein Shakes daily, and exercised like crazy. It didn't matter because in the end she crashed her school bus when she passed out and bit her tongue almost all the way off, broke her arms, and hurt her back. In the hospital she was found to have a severe case of osteoporosis all from RNY. The Lap Band doesn't scare me--RNY does!

Also have a look at the comments on that video, I read quite a few and the doctor is extremely unprofessional in his responses to people's comments. Makes me questions the validity of his practice.

I do sympathize with the woman in the video, but I'd urge people not to let it frighten them away from surgery. I, too had weeks in which I felt I could only eat ice cream, Cookies, and juice because I needed calories and everything else was just too difficult. I've had screaming, frustrated, crying fits thinking, "I JUST WANT TO F*@&ING EAT!!!" when I would throw up every meal for the third day in a row. Once I actually went to the hospital for an IV because I was too tight to drink anything and hadn't had more than a few ounces of Water in 3 days. So I totally understand what this woman has gone through, but I think she had the misfortune of having a poor medical staff at her facility. Obviously, the doctor was cruel for taunting her about eating through the band, and they did not fully prepare her for the changes she would have to make. Every time I threw up, I knew it was because I had not followed the rules properly, and I cursed myself for doing it. I never cursed the band. I still throw up now and then even 14 months out, but I know what behaviors cause it and how to prevent it again. It is really something you have to work with your body to learn from and adjust to, and I feel sorry for the woman in this video who did not have adequate help and education from her medical staff to do so.

what complications could come later?? Im waiting on approval for being banded but im trying to read as much as i can before i officially make the decision.

Check out the complications forum. (But after making the choice to get the band, I'd stay out of there, it's too much of a head game at that point.) The band can slip, or erode into the stomach. Your port can flip, your tubing can get a leak. Most things are repairable, some more complicated than others to do so. I educated myself before surgery, but now that I'm banded I don't dwell on what could happen. I just hope it doesn't and go on with my banded life, losing weight and loving every minute of it.

Everyones posts have been very helpful and I feel so much better. Still a little nervous but other than making all the right decisions a life with the band is alot better than staying in the rut i'm already in. I guess the lesson to learn is that once banded you have to be able to read your body and it's messages, know your limitations and make the right decisions. As everyone here has said and i agree "The band is a tool to help you out"

:biggrin:Id love to keep in touch with you frazzledmom....i will most likely be banded within a couple months. Waiting on insurance stuff. Thanks for your support!! I guess the thing that makes me kinda nervouse is ....i know you can exercise but you would think it would cause slippage of the band or damage to something in there??? Id be afraid to jar it around very much??:)

I will definately be here for anyone, just like all of you have been so wonderful to me in helping me through my fears. And for the excercising part, I don't think that should be a big issue for slippage at all. I would guess that throwing up constantly would do that since your squeazing your stomach in the process which could result in slipping. But I love this site and am here to stay for the long haul. Thnx again to all that have responded thus far. :)