Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Really freakin out right now!

I made the absolute mistake to go onto youtube and see lapband success stories which I did find a few (very uplifting). But one thread I did fall upon was a video of some women who is getting her band removed and having a mini gastric bypass. There were many comments about how the bands are failing now and people who arn't able to eat properly and are constantly throwing up. They even have statistics that lapbands have a high success rate of removal by the five year mark. My heart is really palpatating now and have extreme doubts. Please I need to know that people have been able to live comfortably with this band for many, many years with no complications.

:smile2:

Forgot to add clip that starting this whole thing if anyone is interested?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eo82IT1FlFc]YouTube - Failed LapBand Patient Converted to MGB[/ame]

The topic of this video comes up every couple of months. If it's the one I'm thinking of the doctor is more or less using a scare tactic to steer people into going to him for surgery for a procedure that isn't widely used.

There are many people out there that have successfully been banded for years without any problems.

I made the absolute mistake to go onto youtube and see lapband success stories which I did find a few (very uplifting). But one thread I did fall upon was a video of some women who is getting her band removed and having a mini gastric bypass. There were many comments about how the bands are failing now and people who arn't able to eat properly and are constantly throwing up. They even have statistics that lapbands have a high success rate of removal by the five year mark. My heart is really palpatating now and have extreme doubts. Please I need to know that people have been able to live comfortably with this band for many, many years with no complications.

:smile2:

You know I thought about the mini bypass however, I don't want to have anything moved around inside of me. I believe that anything can fail. I have had several friends who have gained their weight back after bypass surgery.. It sounds like to me that though I haven't been banded yet it all comes down to self control. I watched a couple more of those videos and the one lady said I didn't have to do anything. Well if you think the band is a magic wand think again its a tool and everyone on here expresses that... I may be proven wrong in the years to come, but for now with the information I have this is the choice I am making... I think you have to make your own decision but look at the pro's and con's of both...

Don't be scared by this. I know I'm a little shy of 4 months being banded, so I don't have long term results to go off of, but listen to what she said she was eating with the excuse of it was the only thing that would go down. You don't have to eat ice cream, there's yogurt instead, you don't have to eat chips, you can eat something else. The lapband is a tool to help and we do have to take responsibility for whether it works or doesn't. It's not perfect, no, but neither is the bypass or RNY or DS or whatever. If people want to find a way around it, they will. I feel sorry for her that she's gone through all of this, but you'll find plenty of people on here who have been successful and who didn't vomit up everything. You have to retrain yourself on how to eat and it's hard, I'm going through that right now and I'm struggling. I still know that I shouldn't be eating red meat because it's harder to digest and dry chicken is hard to digest, but I can still eat chicken if it's not dry and I chew it well. I can get my Protein through eggs or milk or something like that. Like someone else mentioned above I think, this is just a way for this doctor to try to get business.

I understand your anxiety but please don't worry, and don't listen to everything you see and hear. My surgeon told us in his seminar that if you follow the rules, your risk of problems is very small. If you are throwing up, it's because you're eating too much too fast, or not chewing well enough, or your band is too tight and you're not going for an unfill. You have control over all of that. I've never thrown up and I know of a lot of bandsters who also never have.

Almost everyone who works in the surgical clinic run by my surgeon and his two partners (all they do is lap bands) has the lap band. Several of them have had it for quite a few years and they are doing great. Even the female psychologist I went to, who is in her early 60's, has been banded for 7 years. She actually got a little misty-eyed when she told me what an amazing change the band helped her make in her life.

I think once a bandster reaches goal they move on from hanging around forums such as this one, because they're just getting on with their lives and having the band is a natural part of who they are. Whereas us newbies can't stay away. So you don't see too many posts here by people who have had their band for a long time. Doesn't mean they're not out there!

I enjoy red meat but don't need to eat it every night. What examples of red meat are not well digestable (all cuts of steaks). I'm completely willing to do the work involved and am becoming more aware that there is no magic pill to weight loss. I guess that video just scared me about the not getting anything down part and about the failure rate (if that's true). And I completely agree with you that she could have made better food options.

I enjoy red meat but don't need to eat it every night. What examples of red meat are not well digestable (all cuts of steaks). I'm completely willing to do the work involved and am becoming more aware that there is no magic pill to weight loss. I guess that video just scared me about the not getting anything down part and about the failure rate (if that's true). And I completely agree with you that she could have made better food options.

I haven't had any red meat since I've gotten fills, but just think of anything that is super hard to chew and it's something that you're probably not going to do well with. I can't eat super bready stuff (like I had a bite of a donut the other day, I know, bad, bad, bad, but I made the conscious decision to eat it and it did not go down and I PB'd, which is the only time I've done it.) I know for me steak of any type, you have to chew like crazy and almost makes my jaws ache, so I avoid it. Ground beef or ground chuck probably wouldnt' be so bad, but if it's dry I would avoid it personally. But I also think that it's different for every person too. I know people who even with restriction can still eat bread, but I don't think that'll be something I can eat. It's not easy, but I know that as long as I work with the band, it's going to work for me.

I had a discussion with my surgeon about this Dr. R. Rutledge. He posts tons of youtube videos bashing the Lapband and promoting his surgery of the Mini Gastric Bypass. Basically, among the medical field, this Dr. is considered a joke. His procedure is (according to my doc) dangerous and not widely used. His are most of the negative videos about the band on youtube. Once you realize he's selling a product, you can see through his motives much more clearly.

I've been banded almost six months, lost nearly 80 pounds and couldn't be happier with my results so far. I am aware that down the road there could be complications, but I freak myself out when I focus on those. I just try to follow the rules the best I can, not get overfilled, which from the posts on this site seems to be the number one reason for complications, and work on changing my lifestyle, so that band or no band, I'm living a healthy life.

Also, I can eat anything. pineapple, broccoli, red meat, chicken breast, bread (though I usually choose not to), etc. The only times I've PBed (2x) were from one time eating too much and one time eating too fast. You learn and don't repeat the same mistakes.

I listened to this video and I am not surprised that she had difficulties. What did she eat, she eats ice cream, chips, soft calories, etc. We know that this is not healthy and anyone can eat around the band if they so choose to do so. If she could not get any normal food down, then she was probably too tight. She exhibited a classic example of how you can find a lack of success with this system.

Anyone who thinks they can eat anything and that surgery will take care of everything on its own without any effort is not being realistic with themselves. Even beyond WLS, non-compliance causes many a failure medically in a lot of different areas.

Longer term studies show that the majority of people have success but they must put some effort into following band rules, eating healthy, getting exercise, etc. There are risks of complications with any WLS surgeries. You can find many people that have great success, but there will always be some people that can not adjust to changes in lifestyle.

Many of us who choose wls do so as the result of an addiction to food resulting in obesity. Addictions are not easy to overcome. However, they can be impossible to overcome if we don't take personal responsibility for our choices and choose to live for success.

Lapband has really been the saving grace that has put me back on the road to healthy living. I don't have any regrets. It is not easy, but it is a whole lot easier than going it alone. If I do my part, the band is there for me and success is finally attainable. I am very lucky to have my band.

I totally agree with you. That was also my impression. He is trying to steer people away from the lapband and into his hands.

LAP-BAND vs. Gastric Bypass Surgery – Side Effects And Long Term Complications Of Gastric Bypass Surgery

Weight Loss Surgeries

If non-surgical methods have not helped you lose weight long-term, you still have another option. Studies demonstrate that weight-loss surgery, as compared to non-surgical treatments, yields the longest period of sustained weight loss in patients who have failed other therapies. But keep in mind that a positive attitude, self-discipline, and the ability to plan ahead are key for the success of any weight loss surgery. Surgery can help you achieve your long-term goal only if you are ready to make a commitment to losing weight and keeping it off.

The most common weight-loss approach is to eat less, eat sensibly, and exercise more. However, studies have shown that patients on diets, exercise programs, or weight-loss medication lose approximately 10 percent of their body weight but tend to regain two-thirds of it within one year, and almost all of it within five years.The cycle of losing weight and gaining it back is called the “yo-yo effect.” While temporary weight loss can help, the yo-yo effect can also make it harder to lose weight in the future. The National Institutes of Health report that 90 percent of the people who participate in diets and weight-reduction programs do not experience significant and sustained weight loss.

For seriously overweight individuals, weight-loss surgery should be strongly considered when other therapies have failed, as a way to lose weight, improve their health and increase their quality of life.

There are several categories of weight-loss (bariatric) surgery:

Restrictive —reduces the amount of food the stomach can hold but doesn’t interfere with normal digestion of food and nutrients.

Malabsorptive —shortens the digestive tract to limit the number of calories and nutrients that can be absorbed.

Combination —restricts the amount of food the stomach can hold and reduces the number of calories absorbed by altering the digestive tract.

The two most commonly performed weight-loss procedures in the United States are the gastric bypass (combination procedure) and the LAP-BAND® System (restrictive procedure)

LAP-BAND.bmpmrh749E.tmp.jpg

Description

LAP-BAND

A restrictive procedure, during which an inflatable band is placed around the upper part of the stomach. This creates a smaller stomach pouch, which restricts the amount of food that can be consumed at one time and increases the time it takes for the stomach to empty. As a result, a patient achieves sustained weight loss by limiting food intake, reducing appetite, and slowing digestion.

GASTRIC BYPASS

A combination procedure that uses both restrictive and malabsorptive elements. First the stomach is stapled to make a smaller pouch. Then most of the stomach and part of the intestines are bypassed by attaching (usually stapling) a part of the intestine to the small stomach pouch. As a result, a patient cannot eat as much and absorbs fewer nutrients and calories.

Advantages

Lowest mortality rate1

Least invasive surgical approach

No stomach stapling or cutting, or intestinal re-routing

Adjustable

Reversible

Lowest operative complication rate

Very low risk of nutritional deficeincs.

Rapid initial weight loss

Minimally invasive approach is common

Longer clinical experience in the U.S.

Slightly higher total average weight loss reported than with purely restrictive procedures

Disadvantages

Slower initial weight loss

Regular follow-up critical for optimal results

Requires an implanted medical device

In some cases, effectiveness can be reduced due to band slippage.

In some cases, the access port may leak and require minor revisional surgery

Cutting and stapling of stomach and bowel are required

More operative complications

Portion of digestive tract is bypassed, reducing absorption of essential nutrients

Medical complications due to nutritional deficiencies

"Dumping syndrome2" can occur

Non-adjustable

Extremely difficult to reverse

Higher mortality rate

Erratic absorption of medications

Protein malabsorption

Pregnancies are higher risk

Vitamin deficiencies are possible if supplements are stopped

Results

Although during the first year after surgery, weight loss with the gastric bypass is greater than with the LAP-BAND® System, surgeons report that at 5 years many LAP-BAND® and gastric bypass patients achieve comparable weight loss (55% for LAP-BAND® and 59% for Gastric Bypass).3

Risks1,4

Mortality rate: 0.05%

Total complications: 9%

Major complications: 0.2%

Most common include:

Standard risks associated with major surgery

Nausea and vomiting

Band slippage (minor revisional surgery)

Band erosion (minor revisional surgery)

Access port problems (minor revisional surgery)

Mortality rate: 0.5-2%

Total complications: 23%

Major complications: 2.1%

Most common include:

Standard risks associated with major surgery

Nausea and vomiting

Separation of stapled areas (major revisional surgery)

Leaks from staple lines (major revisional surgery)

Nutritional deficiencies

Recovery Timeline5

Hospital stay is usually less than 24 hours (Typically this procedure is day surgery)

Most patients return to normal activity within 1 week

Full surgical recovery usually occurs within about 2 weeks

With a laparoscopic approach:

Hospital stay is usually 48-72 hours

Many patients return to normal activity within 2.5 weeks

Full surgical recovery usually occurs within about 3 weeks

I watched this video and this girl was ridiculous. I guess I'm echoing the sentiment of everyone else here. You mean to tell me the only thing she could get down was some ice cream and chips????!!!! I can't believe she fixed her mouth to say that foolishness! This makes me so sick. I struggled with the decision of lap band vs bypass for a long time. I settled on the band bc its less invasive and it doesn't effect the way I process foods. (I like chocolate every now and then). The band forces you to make a conscious decision of what to put in your mouth. I know if I eat some regular chocolate ice cream on the band, it will slip right down and I will gain weight. With the bypass, your body just rejects it (all that sugar) and you get sick. At my pre-op nutrition meeting, they called the band, "the thinking surgery".

I'm not dissing the bypass patients, but, for me, I needed to know that I am playing a part in my weight loss. Lord knows, I played a part in the gaining.

Don't let that mess get to you. Follow what you feel is best for you.

God bless,

Alicia

I can see some of my self in this woman as I had a similar situation, lost weight prior to surgery and gained it all back. I don't think it's the right surgery for everyone and I guess there has to be better ways of weaning out the ones who won't be successful like myself. It's hard enough being an overweight person/woman in our society without being told you're a total failure because your lap band wasn't the right surgery for you.

On the other hand my daughter had an RNY last May and is almost down 90 lbs. Her surgery was about a year after mine. I know now that the lap band was not the right surgery for me but I don't think it's worth putting myself through the "chance" of the next one not working either.

Obviously you're not going to have a lot of people in this forum who didn't do well or won't do well as it's not productive so somehow you have to get an objective view point.

Good luck with your decision and try to find out as much as you can about it before hand, moxie3:smile: