Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgery next week---Should I cancel/postpone???

I am on the road of indecision. I am torn about what I want to do. I have my surgery date scheduled for next week and everyday I consider cancelling.

I am self-pay so the cost is $18k, I was told that the process for self-pay was 60 days to complete. Here I am 200+ days later and finnally I get a date but now, my finances have changed.

My husband loss his job, we were in the middle of purchasing a new home as we have already sold our current home and are living in an apartment waiting for our new home to be built.

It's a hard decision to make. I do not have problems with food but I do have PCOS which constrains how much weight I can and can't lose and makes me infertile.

I initially became interested in the procedure so that I could lose enough weight to start ovulating to have a baby. BUt the doctor tells me that I have to wait 2 years for the weight loss to stop. I am currently 225lbs and am told that losing 5% of my body weight will help me reach my ovulation goal.

I am really confused and do not know what to do. Any suggestions????confused.gif

Bless your heart...you are faced with multiple problems right now...the loss of your husbands job, the building of a new home, then trying to conceive...wow...okay...take a deep breath and just sit back and think about the pro's and con's...you are the only person that can make this decision...the surgery was a life saver for me...i would do it over again and again...i was a self pay...but truly worth every penny...

I wish you all the luck in the world..i hope that all your dreams come true...but you know that only you can decide what is best for you and your husband...

I really believe that you should be mentally 100% ready for the surgery. I too am self pay and tapped danced around the decision for a year before I felt really sure. Good luck on your decision.

Does this money come from savings or credit. My husband is unemployed and I spent $20k on plastic surgery in April that put me in debt. If it puts you in debt I would postpone. If you have the cash I would move forward. BTW, how much weight do you need to lose? It sounds like you are anxious to get pregnant so you should take that into consideration as well. Does the $18k include some aftercare? Fills can get really expensive. I've had 20 fills and unfills in 2 years. I have a very fickle band. Good luck and I would pray abiut it too.

I am on the road of indecision. I am torn about what I want to do. I have my surgery date scheduled for next week and everyday I consider cancelling.

I am self-pay so the cost is $18k, I was told that the process for self-pay was 60 days to complete. Here I am 200+ days later and finnally I get a date but now, my finances have changed.

My husband loss his job, we were in the middle of purchasing a new home as we have already sold our current home and are living in an apartment waiting for our new home to be built.

It's a hard decision to make. I do not have problems with food but I do have PCOS which constrains how much weight I can and can't lose and makes me infertile.

I initially became interested in the procedure so that I could lose enough weight to start ovulating to have a baby. BUt the doctor tells me that I have to wait 2 years for the weight loss to stop. I am currently 225lbs and am told that losing 5% of my body weight will help me reach my ovulation goal.

I am really confused and do not know what to do. Any suggestions????confused.gif

The decision to do this is yours to make, but you have a lot on your plate with moving. You have other options to getting the lap band that are a lot cheaper. Have you looked at going to Mexico? The cost is only about $8k, and there is Dr. Ortiz who is Tijuana MX who was one of the pioneers in the lap band procedure, and has done over 8k of them.

I too have PCOS and you sound like me... .I weight 215 and am 5'4...I do have one child, but my doctor told me that I have to wait 10 months to a year to have another baby...I dont know why they told you 2... I have about 85 pounds to lose and the doctor thinks I should have it off within 10 months at the latest. I know personally that this is my last option, and without it I will have long term health problems within 5 years. If money is the problem, look at going somewhere else that is cheaper. My doctor only charges $14,500, and he is one of the best in Atlanta. You and your hubby should sit down and prioritize whats important to you....we also have a lot of financial things we are working out, but this is my health we are talking about, and me being around for a long time healthy means more to the both of us. Good luck, and if you need anything else please contact me anytime.

:biggrin:

juliegeraci<SCRIPT type=text/javascript> vbmenu_register("postmenu_933859", true); </SCRIPT>

the $18k is credit that has to be paid back monthly. According to the doctor, I am paying for a year of services.

I am really confused on what I should do. I want a baby but have to wait until we get situated in the new house and for my husband to get a job. I just don't know if I can spend this money now.

I am soo confused.

My monthly payment on $20k is roughly $400-500 so you need to be aware of that. It can get a bit much considering my husband's unemployment was cut off in May and he is only doing side jobs now. Also aftercare can be quite costly. I had probably 10 fills my 2nd year because I have a fickle band. How much are you fills after 1 year? Mine are $200 each, $500 I think for Mexico patients. I feel for you. Its a big decision. I hope it works out for you!

That's a tough decision! I've also been struggling with the financial aspect of the surgery. Being that I'm a college student with no insurance, I've had to put a lot of thought into whether this is worth it, etc. For me, I've come to the conclusion that it's an investment in myself that I need to make. Though, I do have much more weight to lose than you do.

Like someone said, could you possibly go somewhere cheaper? There are places in the US, like the one I'm planning on going to in Detroit, where the cost is down to between $10-11k.

I understand how you feel. To me the bottom line was that I could not go ahead with my band until I was 100% sure that it was the right thing for me. The option will not go away. When you are in a better position financially and emotionally you can go. This is a wonderful opportunity BUT it is not always easy. Sounds like you have enough going on right now. When you have your surgery you should be able to just focus on yourself. I will hold you in my thoughts. good luck!

I can only tell you what I would do.

I would want the surgery but I would not want to spend that kind of money unnecessarily when my husband just lost his job. Personally, I would have the surgery but I would go to Mexico and save $11K.

$18K is just ridiculous for a band. Or, got to Kirshenbaum in Denver and save $8K. Can you really afford to throw money away right now?

I can see (easily) justifying the medical expense, I cannot see $18K for a band. Sleeves cost less than that, bypass can cost less than that.

As a side issue, you may want to get another opinion on the idea that your weight loss is significantly effected by your polycystic ovarian syndrome, (if I understood your comment correctly). In my opinion, while it may be peripherally related in terms of hormonal- and thus Water retention, it is not something that has a significant impact on your ability to lose wt, and keep it off. (are you on metformin?) I would tend to agree that you should not go in debt at this time. Not only do you have to have the finances for up-front costs, there may be complications (god forbid), and that must be considered as well. I know my doctor was actually trained by Dr. Ortiz in Mexico, (he proctors a lot of US doctors). You may have a doctor in your area that trained with Ortiz and would be willing to have you in his practice.

I can only tell you what I would do.

I would want the surgery but I would not want to spend that kind of money unnecessarily when my husband just lost his job. Personally, I would have the surgery but I would go to Mexico and save $11K.

$18K is just ridiculous for a band. Or, got to Kirshenbaum in Denver and save $8K. Can you really afford to throw money away right now?

I can see (easily) justifying the medical expense, I cannot see $18K for a band. Sleeves cost less than that, bypass can cost less than that.

I would have the surgery, you will feel better about yourself and about motherhood... I say go for it! it's the best decision that I ever made.

as far as having your surgery in Mexico, I'm not sure about that... I admire the brave souls that would cross the border to do it, but that's not me. I woudln't be comfortable doing the procedure in a foreign country, but that's just me...

Good luck my dear, you will be in my thoughts and prayers!

I'm sorry for all you are dealing with. Only you can decide what to do but if it were me personally I would postpone it under your circumstances. Adding more debt will only add more stress to your life.

as far as having your surgery in Mexico, I'm not sure about that... I admire the brave souls that would cross the border to do it, but that's not me. I woudln't be comfortable doing the procedure in a foreign country, but that's just me...

Good luck my dear, you will be in my thoughts and prayers!

I think it is a matter of education, we don't do a very good job of that in this country. We tend to let the media teach us about other countries by way of sensationalism instead of picking up a book and reading a bit about the topic of other countries. Mexico is not a tiny village without running Water. ;o)

Let's not forget, it was the Mexican surgeons that trained the majority of US surgeons in banding.

I borrowed from my 401k for my band and I am so happy I did. Since you are relying on credit for your surgery, I would definitely find someone less expensive and go for it now. With all that you have going on, the approval process for another loan later on down the line may be even harder to get. Do it now since you already have been approved but get a cheaper price if you can, so that your payments aren't as high.

Like someone else said, I had to look at this as an investment in myself and my future. I am a single parent with two teenage kids at home and I need to be around to get them out of school. Plus I want to be around to enjoy the rest of my life, outside being a mom, in good health. I figure the bills will always be there and besides, the better health I am in, the longer I can work. And in the long run save money on groceries and who knows what healthcare needs I would have if I didn't do anything.

My prayers are with you. Best wishes.

Stephanie