Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I was banded a week ago so I look carefully at everyone's weight loss and when I see people who've had a lot of weight loss within just a couple of weeks of banding, I wonder why I only lost 9.5 lbs but then when I see people who've been banded for 2 months and they've lost less than 20 lbs, I wonder what they're doing wrong. I know this is crazy thinking so someone please step in and tell me to get a grip!!!!

First congratulations.

Second. 10lbs in one week is nothing to sneeze at. When is the last time you could say that :)

Do not compare yourself with others. There are a lot of variables at play. How much a person has to lose. What their metabolizim is like. How active they are during the first two weeks. Etc.

It is hard to say why some people lose faster than others (all else being equal) even if they are not doing anything wrong.

Focus on your journey and you will do great.

I won't say get a grip, but most peoples bodies differ from others. i had to tell keep reminding myself of that. i remember the Dr. explaining to me that I sure not compare my weight loss to that of a person who has had gastric bypass or other types of weight loss surgery. because we all have different body make ups. I say keep doing as you are told and you will see results.it is definitely slow going at first. good luck and keep in touch.

i would like to know where do you go on your page to copy the weight loss ticker? i seem to be having problems trying to figure it out.

Please help!!!! thank you

Click on my ticker and it takes you to the ticker site and allows you to create your own. Once you've created it, you have to copy the url and paste it into your signature block under edit signature.

I lost some weight during the 2 week pre-opt diet that my surgeon required. Not all people have to do that 2 week diet so they don't see the same weight loss that others do that have to do that. Some have bigger weight losses because the insurance required them to diet 6 months before banding. I think thats the big sudden losses you see with new bandsters.

I was told by my doctor that this is an aid for weightloss. This is not like gastric bypass, you will have to work on it.

Also, PLEASE do not belittle your current weightloss...It is WONDERFUL!! All weightloss is positive, even the little steps. There are going to be great weigh ins and then those that are a little on the "meh" side. Keep going~and be patient~ :frown:

I am a lifetime Weight Watcher, even have appeared as a Success Story in their magazine. I have gained back 50 lbs since the magazine article and have since decided that I need help. Weight Watchers is a wonderful program, and I hope to use all that I have learned (5 years in program) to make the most of my band...once I get the darn thing that is. :)

Donna--

To be specific, here is a list of factors I can think of off the top of my head:

People who have higher BMIs tend to lose faster.

Metabolism

The first several lbs contains a lot of Water and glycogen and that comes off quickly so if people were required to lose weight before surg

they already lost some of the "fastest" weight.

Different MDs give very different after surg eating plans (and for different lengths of time). People who have fewer calories lose more.

Some people exercise or are more active then others.

There are differences to how well people can stick to their dieting plans.

The human body may have set points (unique weights where each body "likes" to rest and cling to for a while before moving up or down in weight.

There may be more factors that I'm not listing

In addition; according to Dr. Ortiz (Lapband for Life) it is very common for lap band pts. to have a period of weight loss stalls after surg and the initial weight loss. This can be cause by a "shock" to the system -- or the body's effort to adjust.

I lost 20lbs before surg, 11 within 2 weeks, several more in the next few weeks---then I stalled for about 6 weeks even though I was being golden. At times I have been frustrated but when I stop to look at it ---I have lost 49lbs in 6 mons. I'm half way to my goal and my goal is actually 8lbs less than a normal BMI. I haven't gained 1lbs since I started losing. Six months ago I was 92lbs overweight and now I'm 42lbs overweight. I know are worried and you want to lose faster. I feel the same way -- but try not to worry

as some have already stated a big portion of those people you see with

big weight losses in a short time are counting the weight they lost prior to being banded.Some doctors require you to go on a liquid diet for weeks before your surgery to shrink the liver or something.Based on that info if you look at the ones who tell you their pre band weight and then their banded weight you should only compare what they have lost since being banded.My doctor says 1 to 2 pounds a week is a good weight loss..

So do not get discouraged you are doing fantastic!!

Congratulations on being banded!

Since you were only banded a week ago, I'd like to give you some unsolicited advice.

Here's what I've learned in only 4 short weeks: A lot of people will tell you not to worry about the weight loss before your first fill because you are in the healing phase right now and you should not expect to lose much before your first fill. But my surgeon says that you CAN lose weight if you try hard enough.

What that advice reminds me of is of the time when I went to high school from junior high. I was #2 in my junior high class, and someone said to me, "you know, high school is a lot harder so don't expect such high grades." Well, of course that was in my head and I didn't get such high grades in high school. But I could have, you see. It was just that mentality that was setting me back.

For me, I got really hungry right before I started mushies and I have been eating the wrong foods since then (too much frozen yogurt, mashed potatoes, me thinking I can "puree" regular foods in my mouth, etc.). It is a slippery slope and once I eat some foods I just want more and more. If you're like me, don't start eating bad stuff. It will just be that much harder to get out of it. :smile2: Also, I wasn't measuring my food or counting calories and I am sure I have been eating too much at one time and snacking too much. I forgot that I was only supposed to be eating portions the size of a golf ball because my stomach wasn't giving me the regular "fullness" signals that I was used to pre-band. :ohmy: Non-caloric liquids and exercise are also key. As for exercise, I am sure you know that 30 minutes can burn as little as 100 or as much as 400 calories or more, depending on your exertion level. If you have to do low-intensity workouts, then you need to spend more time doing them.

I hope this has armed you with some additional knowledge to keep losing as you get used to your band. You can do it! We can all do this together!

Thanks everyone. This really helps especially since I'm now starting my second week and starving! I can't believe I have to wait at least 3 more weeks to get a fill...... I want to yell give me one now because these portions ain't doing it! Any advice?