Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Banded May 29, 2008...need some support/encouragement

Hello all...since going thru over 4 months of testing, getting approved, going thru 2 weeks pre-op liquids and finally surgery on May 29th, I'm down 17 pounds. My frustration after one fill with a total of 7 cc. in the band, is how I've plateaued so quickly. I can't seem to budge. Plus I don't have much of a sensation of fullness. I've had a couple of episodes right after the first fill where I threw up. bread is not my friend at all. I eat small portions. I also drink lots of apple juice, is this a possible culprit? Everything I search says that apple juice is fine as long as it's 100% juice. I do drink the Protein Shake in the morning with no sugars, etc. I have crackers sometimes with Peanut Butter, cheesesticks, a little Pasta and tried small bites of pork chop yesterday with no problems. I'm just not able to notice when I'm full. I wonder if I need another fill. I find myself grazing more often these last few days. I haven't started exercising yet and frankly hate it. Here in Texas the temps. are over 100 everday. I've never exercised so getting that started isn't something I'm motivated to go. I can't afford a gym membership at this time. I'm still considering getting an elyptical machine. Any words of wisdom?

Thank you all for any encouragement!!

apple juice has a lot of empty calories. I suggest Crystal Light or Water instead. I was banded the same day as you! I have had one fill and at this point can eat as much soft type food as I want, but if I eat hard Proteins (chicken, beef cubes etc) I have some restriction so I try to stick with that. I have 2cc in a 9 cc band. Try a food journal some foods will really sneak up on you calorie wise.

I have major tolerance issues with any artificial sweetners. Most sugar free drinks have aspartame. I guess that's why I have stuck with apple juice. I'll just try to go with more Water and cut back on the apple juice. I'm happy to hae someone to talk to that had surgery the same day as me. I'm trying so hard to stick with easy to digest foods and incorporating chicken here and there. I've had baked potatoes and mashed but worry that it's a high carb. and not a good choice all the time, but when you are hungry and need to eat something quick that's what I go for or a cheese stick. What are you eating at this point? Do you journal also?

Thank you for your reply...

Hi Kay,

I feel your pain. I am also a May Flower...banded May 9th. I've lost only 21 lbs, of which the last 7 I had to lose a couple times. I have had one fill of only 3 cc and have no restriction. I was down 15 lbs before my first fill and I sabotaged myself with a week long binge thinking that I would have restriction soon and it would be no problem getting the few pounds off. My mistake! So for the last 3 weeks this is what I've done to get my weight loss on a slow but steady decline:

1) I watch my carb intake. My carbs come only from the healthy stuff. No rice, flour, sugar, potatoes, corn, sweets, bread, fried food, etc. Until I get good restriction I am trying to limit the intake of these items due to my tendency to overeat, snack, etc.

2) I get in 60 grams of Protein daily. During meals, I make sure I have plenty of protein and vegetables. I supplement with Protein Shakes.< /span>

3) I drink about 100 oz of Water daily (some of that is unsweet tea or crystal lite). They say water helps, so I drink it.

4) I exercise 3 days a week (I shoot for more but often come up short). I do understand the heat. I live in South Mississippi and it is excruciating. I exercise before 8 am or after 7 pm. I don't know if that works with your schedule, but cooler times of day may be easier. How about a work out tape at home?

5) I track my food intake on thedailyplate.com. It really keeps me in check as to how much I am actually consuming. You may be surprised at how many calories you are getting in with the apple juice. Maybe you could try eating an apple?

Though, the scale is not moving rapidly, I can tell that I'm losing inches. So, I'm sure the exercise is helping a great deal. I do understand not wanting to be bothered with it. I've always hated to exercise, too. But it is helping, so I will continue. I hope you get past your plateau. Best of luck to you!

Wow Annika, thank you so much for all the helpful info. You have the same sense of humor that I do plus all the dislikes too. I also binged a bit before getting banded, but I only did a few times since I was terrified of an enlarged liver to cancel surgery. I will start a food journal but I'm not good at journaling at all. I'll cut out apple juice and increase Water. Exercise will be something I'll start eventually. I een have a pool so I have no excuse other than pure laziness. I love how you said you've lost some of your weight several times. I feel that is what I'm doing right now too. Plus throw in that I got a bladder infection last week and had to be on antibiotics and my monthly visitor came a week and a half early...ugh! I don't have flour or corn or anything fried. It's hard for me to come up with more variety other than the mushy stuff I ate for 6 weeks. SO other than the crappy stuff I ate prior to surgery, I have no imagination to mix things up. I'm nervous about eating any fruits or veggies with skins so I don't cause a blockage. I had a salad last week for the first time and it was wonderful. pineapple is a definite no-no. Any suggestions? I'll check out the tracker on thedailyplate.com and see if that helps.

Thanks again for all your suggestions....we can help each other...

Oh I am so sorry you can't do aspartame! The Crystal Light has been very helpful to me. Try the black iced tea at Starbucks, it is great even without sweetener. I also like the skinny latte (90 cal). I would suggest that you try for not so easy to digest foods like salads and chunky chicken and beef. That works well for me. If I eat softer foods, I am hungry sooner than if I eat substantial foods. Chicken and broccoli is a staple that I eat all the time. I often have to stop before I finish my fairly small size meal. If I eat anything softer, I can eat as much as I want. When do you get another fill? I get my next one on August 11th. The first one did not do much for me.

As far as fruits and such, I can eat anything. Apples with skins etc. The only things that I do not tolerate well are eggs. I tried to eat a poached egg on whole grain bread the other day and it did not stay down. I can eat bread still, but eggs that are boiled or fried are not friendly. Elliptical machines are fabulous! I am only getting on mine about two times a week (pathetic!) but I hope to improve my efforts on this part.

Sorry for the multiple posts, I keep remebering things to add! As far as the food journal goes, I am sporadic, but I find that when I am disciplined about keeping up with it, I lose more weight. I did not do a pre-op diet and have lost 27 lbs since my surgery date. I think I should have done better, but I do like my weekly cocktails!

Kay -- as for food suggestions... I agree with droppindown. Mushy foods may need to be traded in for more solid choices. I too love broccoli. I can and sometimes do eat it daily. You may want to check out the food and nutrition forum. There are many meal and menu ideas. Right now, since I have little to no restriction, I am rather strict with low carb...so it's mainly chicken, fish, lean beef, veggies, Protein supplements, and Protein Bars (when I'm in a pinch). Trying to keep my appetite and cravings in check. When I get good restriction, I will add back Cereal, skim milk, yogurt, fruit, whole grain foods, Beans, etc. I look forward to being able to taste something "bad" without going overboard. Right now, it ain't happening! One bite is the kiss of death. I will lose control.

I plateaued for 7 months, my last 20 lbs or so. The only thing that helped me was a good fill (I can 1/4 to 1/2 cup of food) and following the Weight Watchers core program. Its high Protein, fruits and vegies. You also get 35 extra points a week for whatever you want. You also get whole wheat Pasta and brown rice. I have lost 5 lbs this week and I eat frequently. Julie

Julie, what a coincidence! I was just sitting here flipping through my Weight Watchers book trying to decide when i want to start using the core plan. I tried it pre-band and loved it. But, we know how all pre-band diets end. I just need some good ole restriction! I can eat like 4-5 cups of food! Disgusting!! :unsure:

I am doing really good on core. I've lost 5 lbs this week. I haven't loss in 7 months. I do have really good restriction though. I eat 1/4 to 1/2 cup of food at a time. Some days my band is looser so on those days I do eat more. I do have trouble with my alcohol intake though. I am working to only consume 1 drink a day now. cross addiction.

Hey Kay - I just wanted to let you know that you are not alone. I hate to exercise too! I avoid it like the plague and make excuses why I can't do it. It is tough to get started and stick to a work out routine...when you haven't done it before. I did NO physical activity - I couldn't even clean my house without taking 50 breaks! I have started parking farther away from the entrance in the parking lot, taking stairs more often, getting up at work (desk job) more often...every little bit counts! :unsure: Start slow...as we lose more weight, it will become easier!

Hang in there - the weight will eventually start to come off. I haven't lost as much weight as people who have been banded around the same time I have either. But the most important thing is I feel great! I am losing inches too, which is really exciting!

Wishing you the best of luck!:biggrin2:

Hey Kay! I was also banded on May 29th!!!! I have managed to loose about 30 pounds all together, 10 pre-op and about 20 post-op. I had my first fill a week ago and haven't really felt any restriction, I feel like I'm getting hungrier and hungrier every day! I'm thinking about calling tomorrow and asking to get another fill. I know what you mean about the fruits and veggies thing, I have been nervous to try certain things. Although, I am pretty much eating any foods I want. I lost most of the weight eating Soup, I was eating a lot of chicken noodle up until about 2 weeks ago. Keep in touch and let me know how everythings going!!