Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

In desperate need of advice...

I had my surgery July 2nd and everything has gone fairly well. I had a lot more pain than expected and my appetite was pretty much null and void until about 4-5 days ago. I struggled to even drink Water. I know this is bad, but I haven't been able to even get in a fraction of the Protein I should. Protein shakes do not sit well on my stomach (didn't even before surgery) and I've been scared to get sick. My supplements upset my stomach as well.

I know this is all because of the lack of food I have sitting on my stomach. My mom (who has come into town to help me recover) is trying to get me to eat (soft icecream - yes I caved for a spoonful, cream of wheat, a little mashed potato) all foods I know I shouldn't have. I've also been eating thin Soup, pureed chili b/c I'm on mushies, and some Protein drinks. I'm eating maybe 1/4 of a cup at a time and get scared to go any further. I hiccup and to me that's a sign to stop. I don't have "pressure" or a full feeling. I'm just struggling really hard with a set "diet" that the surgeon has given me. It's wrong - I know. I need advice and help, maybe even strength to get thru this. I've lost 10 lbs post op, totaling 44 lbs since I started my 6 month pre-op program with my PCP.

Please - any suggestions, support, or even criticism would be helpful. Thanks! :ohmy:

i havent been banded yet but my parents had bariatric surgery and they told me all protien drinks are not created equal.. they tried all different ones till they found the one that sat right with them.. some are pretty yucky.. so maybe you should try different brands, kinds, and types until you find the one that sits right with you.

I haven't been banded yet, but I've got a few pieces of advice from my surgeon and others. My doctors office suggests papaya enzyme as it contains the proteolytic enzyme papain which aids in digestion of Proteins other nutrients. It is really super cheap about $3 for a bottle of 90 tabs and they were buy one get one free when I bought them at GNC. They are chewable and don't really taste all that bad.

Also, I'm not a big fan of Protein shakes either. I've only tried Isopure powder so far and it made me gag badly. My coworkers sister had a RNY in December and she swears by Syntrax nectar Protein Shakes. They come in a lot of flavors. I have the Lemon Iced tea flavor, but I need to try it still. She really likes the fuzzy navel flavor.

Just some suggestions. Good luck.

3 weeks out is a soft diet I believe. Try and stay with cottage cheese, chili, Soups things like that. 1/4 cup to 1 cup is standard without a fill. Goes down to 1/4 to 1/2 cup with good restriction. Good luck with your journey.

.... I struggled to even drink Water. I know this is bad, but I haven't been able to even get in a fraction of the Protein I should. Protein shakes do not sit well on my stomach (didn't even before surgery) and I've been scared to get sick. My supplements upset my stomach as well.

....(soft icecream - yes I caved for a spoonful, cream of wheat, a little mashed potato) all foods I know I shouldn't have. I've also been eating thin Soup, pureed chili b/c I'm on mushies, and some Protein drinks. I'm eating maybe 1/4 of a cup at a time and get scared to go any further. I hiccup and to me that's a sign to stop. I don't have "pressure" or a full feeling. I'm just struggling really hard with a set "diet" that the surgeon has given me. It's wrong - I know. I need advice and help, maybe even strength to get thru this. I've lost 10 lbs post op, totaling 44 lbs since I started my 6 month pre-op program with my PCP.

Please - any suggestions, support, or even criticism would be helpful. Thanks! :unsure:

.....all protien drinks are not created equal....try different brands, kinds, and types until you find the one that sits right with you.
I haven't been banded yet, but I've got a few pieces of advice....papaya enzyme as it contains the proteolytic enzyme papain which aids in digestion of Proteins other nutrients......They are chewable and don't really taste all that bad.....

Amanda, I too had a difficult time drinking Water at first. I think it was because I was in the habit of gulping and not sipping. After each of my fills I have had to retrain myself to go back to sipping and not gulping my drink (First thing in the morning start off with something warm--it helps soothe your stomach). Now I take two or three small sips at a time and wait, then repeat. Eating and drinking has become a whole new dining experience. I am learning how to pause after each swallow. This way I don't pile too much in at a time--that's when you really feel uncomforable.

When I was first home from surgery I ate a little bit at a time, and I ate often. My favorite thing to eat was egg salad. It went down easy and I could eat it without difficulty. I also caved in and ate things that we aren't supposed to, but I was told that I wasn't to worry about weight loss the first 6 weeks. That time is all about healing from the surgery. Don't beat yourself up for caving in. Tomorrow is a new day.

As you can see from the above posts, Protein Shakes come in many different varieties. I found out that I became extremely intolerant of whey Protein Drinks for about a full month or so after surgery. Now I can tolerate them once in a while. (I have switched to soy protein instead). I spent a bunch of money on protein drinks that i can't tolerate.

Papaya pills really do work. They don't taste bad either.

Good luck and welcome to bandland:thumbup:.

the hic cup you are experiencing is probably from drinking too large an amount and not from what you are eating (since it sounds like you aren't eating much). I ahd that for about 5 days until I asked a friend who had had the proc already. What a difference, sip, sip, sip. Good Luck.

yes I caved for cream of wheat, a little mashed potato) all foods I know I shouldn't have.

I can have instant oatmeal, just not the old fashioned kind which is harder on your stomach to digest. Im also drinking skim milk and having lite laughing cow cheese for extra Protein, its very creamy.

My stomach hurts, so maybe Im overdoing it. I know what you mean when you say you are worried.

Hey Amanda,

I had my surgery July 2 as well and my doc says I can have solid food now. I am doing really well and you seem to be doing ok too. Instead of the ice cream, why don't you try the sugarfree/fat free fudgsicles? They are great and only have 40 calories I believe. It's a nice treat and it goes down really well. I have been eating a yogurt or some banana in the a.m., then some ham and cheese slices with a couple crackers at lunch, and then a little dinner - maybe chicken with soft cooked veggies. I know all doctors have different guidelines, but the solid food is going down pretty well for me now and I feel 100% better since my surgery on July 2. Don't beat yourself up, you are fine, and will continue to do fine. Sounds like you need a little more protien. Good luck to you!

Thank you all so much for your support. Since my post I have managed to get in all of my required Protein and do not feel near as dehydrated. I started my period and I feel SUPER tight (no fills) so I've decreased everything for a few days.

It's all just a learning curve and now that I know how to get my Protein in - even without the shakes, I feel a lot better. Again, thank you all SO much for your support through this difficult, yet rewarding, journey.