Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help!! I don't do any kind of milk products, how can I get my protein in?

:smile2:Hi everyone

I'm looking for some suggestions, I just got banded on 7/16/08 and i'm struggling for Liquid Protein and Protein when I get to the mushy stage. I can't do any of the whey products or anything with milk (makes me vomit). I have been drinking something called Paleo Meal that my physician gave me, it's a rice protein but the nutritionist says its not a complete protein. I'm so scared of hairloss as I already have extremely thin hair (you can see my scalp). The rice protein has actually been filling me up, but i'm looking for some other ideas as well if anyone has any. Thanks alot

powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury has a chicken Soup (not milk based) that is rather tasty... UNJURY Medical Quality Protein Supplement: High Protein Supplement Uses Whey Protein Isolate. Great tasting whey protein supplements!

also, at GNC there are fruity Protein drinks...they didn't wow me, but they might be better for you...or they have these Protein Shots that also were too sweet for me, but they didn't have any milk in them.

Best of luck. and congrats on getting your band.

Also, I hate to say this, but I think if you are going to lose hair, it will happen with protein or not... I've always gotten my protein in and I have been losing hair for a while now...it's your body's reaction to "trauma" ie..surgery...

At least that's what my surgeon told me!

Rain

During the mushy stage, I ate everything but put it through the food processor. My mom made stew with beef and all the vegetables, and pea Soup, and chicken soup and I just liquidified it. My friend who was banded a month after me did the same thing. Her husband would barbeque chicken and vegetables and she just put it through the food processor. I also ate the egg substitue.

weight.png

Edited by KVM

amonroy.... below I pasted a link to pea Protein... it is great for those sensative to soy, dairy, etc.... but when you get to the mushy stage... a really great source of Protein is Beans.... chili surprisingly has like a lot of protein in it and when blended is great! Refried Beans did really well too with some cheese on them... cheese is really high in protein as well.... a slice of swiss cheese has like 9 grams of protein in it.... so hope this helps! Check out the pea protein... i am not advocatiing for the brand, just pasted it and you can do a brand and price search if you are interested... health foods stores in your town may carry a pea protein product.

Pea Protein Concentrate

Kammi in Everett, WA

335/305/180

DOB 5/27/08

Dr. Kuri - TJ Mexico

I used Dietdirect.com to buy Proteinex-18. It's a once ounce bottle of pre-digested amino acids with 18 grams of Protein in one shot. It tastes disgusting, but it is only one swallow. Two to three of those a day will help keep the hair on your head. Also it is 72 calories each, and under $2 per bottle.

Jalishelly... I am always looking for new ideas to share with people that can't do dairy and need the Protein... thanks for the info! Here is another link for the pea protein... really high in protein! 25 grams I think.

Pure Advantage Pea Protein vanilla -- 2.2 lbs - www.Vitacost.com

Kammi in Everett, WA

I don't drink Protein Drinks that you mix with milk. Im not a milk fan and the drinks make me gag. I ate tuna and chicken salad. The chicken had to be ran through a food processer. The food processor was my friend during the mushie stage. I ate eggs, or egg beaters, and grated cheese. When the rest of the family had roast. I ran it through the processor and had bbq beef. Chicken has 21 to 31 Proteins depending on portion size. So if you eat enought chicken, meat, fish and seafood you dont have to drink the Protein drinks. There is a protein called beneprotien, that is colorless and can be added to your cystal light drinks or added to you food. I have used it my tuna salad, Soups and other foods. Just not eggs cause it doesn't mix well. If you search the web there are other ones out there as well.

The Beneprotein can be used, but only has 6 grams of Protein per serving... not too much and it's also whey Protein isolate which won't help those who can't do whey or milk products.... just wanted to pass on this info...

Kammi in Everett, WA

Have you tried any of the soy Protein powders? No whey and completely vegan. You can add it to almost anything...juice, pudding, sauces, hot cereal...even baked goods. Most have over 20gms of protein per serving. Soy is not ideal as a sole source of protein, but as part of an overall higher-protein regime it's great.

I would reccomend 'Isopure' Protein drinks from GNC. They are fruit flavored, clear liquid drinks. If you take a bottle and split it-1/2 Isopure 1/2 Water, it tastes like watered down Koolaid, then you're getting 20 gms protein and 10oz water at a time. I bought the blue raspberry flavor. There isn't a wang or a medicine taste and the whole bottle is 40 gms protein before you dilute it. This way you can get in your protein without the dairy. It IS pricey though.

Just be careful of soy... it has a lot of effects on health that many people are not aware of... I try to avoid it at all costs, especially when there are other althernatives... just do a search for dangers of soy and you will find lots of interesting info... coconut flour in cooking is great to provide tons of Fiber which is totally necessary and some good Protein as well... it is so darn healthy and because it doesn't have wheat gluten in it, it doesn't make things sticky or gluey like wheat flour does.... it's tricky to work with if you don't have the cookbook or know much about it... low in carbs though as it is so high in fiber.... great for low carb diets.

Nutrition Facts

274-0001

Aloha Nu

Coconut Flour

2 lbs.

Nutrition Facts

Serving Size: 2 Tablespoons (28 g)

Servings Per Container: 32 pixel.gifAmount

Per Serving% Daily

Value*pixel.gifTotal Calories124 pixel.gif Calories From Fat38 pixel.gifTotal Fat 4.2 g6.5% pixel.gif Saturated Fat 3.9 g20% pixel.gif Trans Fat 0 g pixel.gifCholesterol 0 mg0% pixel.gifSodium 56 mg2.3% pixel.gifTotal Carbohydrates 16.6 g5.5% pixel.gif Dietary Fiber 10.5 g42% pixel.gif Sugars 1.9 g pixel.gifplus_box.gif Show Net Carbs

minus_box.gif Net Carbs

Minus Fiber

g

pixel.gifProtein 4.9 g10% pixel.gifpixel.gifpixel.gif*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.This product contains NO TRACES of the following allergens: eggs, fish, milk, peanuts, shrimp, soy, walnut or wheat. 100% pure USDA certified organic. Certified organic by Organic Certifiers. Kosher Certified Rabbi Sholom B. Dubov. Kosher Pareve.Ingredients: Organic Coconut.Recommended Use: See label for recipe. See also the cook book Cooking with Coconut Flour.Certifications:

kosher pixel.gifIf you notice any errors in the information above, please let us know. If you have further questions about this product, please contact Aloha Nu at 719-596-4875

clipped:

"I would reccomend 'Isopure' Protein drinks from GNC. They are fruit flavored, clear liquid drinks. If you take a bottle and split it-1/2 Isopure 1/2 Water, it tastes like watered down Koolaid, then you're getting 20 gms Protein and 10oz Water at a time. "

Isopure provides a great source of protein, however, the original post needs something that does not contain whey protein and Isopure is a whey protein. So she may be able to tolerate it, but seems whey and milk are making her throw up.

Kammi in Everett, WA

I can't do whey either...I've used soy products for the last 20 years and have no problems with it...as far as soy Protein drinks I liked Spiroutein...you can get it at most natural food grocery stores...they have lots of flavors including two sugar free ones...it's a powder that you mix with soy milk...don't forget how versitile tofu is and is great during the mushy stage...

Campbells Soup at Hand. Protein Shakes made with EAS Advantage (Soy) and 1 tlbs of Peanut Butter (use Water and ice cubes). Motts makes a pomegranite (sp?) flavored applesauce that is sugar free and SO SO good. chocolate sugar free popsicles, luigis sugar free italian ice (life saver, this stuff is). Have you tried Silk Lite Soy Milk (Vanilla flavored)...delicious enough to drink straight and great to mix with Protein Powder. If you have an Aldi, they sell a Fit and Active Non-Fat yogurt smoothie. Very good and low in calories! I hope this has helped...good luck to you.