Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What has weight kept you from doing?

Dancing is a big one for me. In my prime (watch out now), I would go to clubs and dance til the sun came up.

The bigger I got the more self-concious I became and I no longer wanted to go dancing. My husband is Mr. Dance fever himself and I've hated that because of me he doesn't get to dance like we used to.

I am so looking forward to being back out on that dance floor with my hubby and showing my 16 yr old, that mommy can still drop it like it's hot:biggrin:

How about you?

Where do I began.. For one I don't go to amusement parks anymore. The last time I went to Kings Dominion it was hard for the roller coaster bar to go all the way down, which is when i stopped and that was some years ago.. I also love to travel but get nervous everytime I get on a plane because I'm scared the seat belt won't fasten.

Well for starters my weight has prevented me from having a social life. I'm too self conscious about going out. I don't travel either because I'm afraid that I will need seat extensions, I HATE taking photos so I miss out on those moments..gee, I could go on and on. I'm turning 30 in November and have never been in love. Needless to say I have missed out on much. That's all going to change though. I'm determined to get my life back. 26lbs down from June 16th and I'm going to keep up the pace.

I have gained 60lbs in the last two years so i don't go around people that haven't seen me in a long time. I also don't do photos.

I was interviewing a teacher for a position that I had open. The lady was quite obese. Anyway, she said at her previous job a kid (high school) called her fat. She said that she told him I can lose fat but you can't lose ugly.

She had the guts to tell a student that and repeat it in a job interview? I ain't mad at her. Lil bad :cursing:

Everything. I used to be an avid exerciser in my teens and early 20's. I want to be like that again. I also hide from the world because I feel unacceptable and can relate to not wanting to see people from my past who knew me when I was in shape. one time i was at a laundry and saw a chick - she was no lady - that lived in my building years ago. she said "man! you got fat!" I was so dumbfounded i didn't know what to say. when i was small i was fairly attractive (not being conceited) and i think some people relish when you're attractive and get fat so they could make these types of comments.

It keeps me from having "cute" clothes because it's so hard to find them in my size (for a reasonable price). Same with shoes but not just size (size 11) but I'm so heavy that the heels hurt so bad when I used to be able to walk around all day/night with heels with no problem!! Also I don't swim like I used to although I LOVE IT because I hate the way I look in a swimsuit. Less body shot pics...more face only. And yeah I also hate seeing people I haven't seen b/c I have just beengetting bigger and bigger. Once I'm on the losing trail and going strong I'm gonna look for everyone just to say "hi". :-)

I can't wait to just be able to "throw" something on. I am always the last to be ready for anything because I have to make sure all the rolls and bulges are covered (like I can really hide them).

Photos are also a no go for me and when I slip up and get caught in one, I find it so hard to believe that "she" is me.

Where do I begin? One thing I must say is that I am so proud to see so many young sisters on this board and thankful that you will not have to go through some experiences I have.

Obesity has kept me from kneeling in church, dancing, being considered for certain career opportunities (this is something folk don't like to talk about, but it's true), anything that requires sustained physical energy, and dressing like I want to. When I was younger, obesity messed with my self esteem and I plunged into unhealthy relationships for a time. There are many more but that would take too long to list.

I prefer to concentrate on the positive side of what better health means. It means being free to be all that I can be and I am working hard toward that. I think all of us are. Be blessed!

Tammygirl

This is actually my first post on lapbandtalk. I see you were banded on my birthday. I feel like you are in my head right now. I have so many of the same feelings.

I have a 14 year old son and I haven’t taken a picture with him since he was 6 years old. I did not go to my high school reunion. I was never skinny but I am so ashamed of all the weight I have gained. I do not like family get togethers. I am in my thirties and I don’t party, date, and I rarely socialize unless it is with people I know from work.

I am going through all my testing now and I have still not talked to y mother about this.

I am happy this group was created.

Lilbull

Hi lilbull and welcome to the forum. You have friends here who understand what you are going through. It doesn't matter who has more or less to lose, obesity has ugly side effects and not just the comorbidities.

Several years ago, I went to audition for a gig. The people there were very nice, but when I got back to work and called the guy, he said, “Hey, big D!” That stuck, and now, though I do play for a few things, I know I could be doing more.

And ditto the amusement parks, and travel. I have a friend in Colorado, and I was thinking about going to see her. She wrote to say that now isn’t a good time, and I’m actually relieved because I won’t have to worry about trying to fit in the seat. I also miss roller skating.