Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

"Stand Up Straight, Young Lady!"

Okay -- here's a topic I haven't seen discussed on LBT. And it may be something only "I" have to deal with. But I tho't I'd ask anyhow....

For those of you who've lost 50-75 lbs and more. Do you find you have POSTURE issues with your NEW body?

If only I hadn't been such a brat as a child. My mother was very< VERY old school and was always correcting my posture. (Especially while I was practicing the piano.) To show my contempt for anything she approved of -- up to and including POSTURE! -- I made sure I was slouching horribly every time she looked at me. The idea was that she would get tired of saying it before I would get tired of doing it.

Well -- that was a stupid battle of wills that neither of us won!

But anyhow -- I never had very good posture and then after 18 years of carrying more than double my ideal weight around, my posture REALLY sucks!!! I catch a glimpse of myself in the mirror sometimes and it's absurd!

Of course it's greatly exaggerated by droopy boobs and a large panniculus. But is there anything I can do to improve it while I wait to get to the PS phase?

WHY didn't I listen to my mother??

Do I need to become LIKE my mother (who, btw, was very obese, but always had excellent posture!)...?

Hold on -- I think I'm gonna go wake up my 10 y/o Grand Doll and her 19 y/o Tia Frijole and tell them to "STAND UP STRAIGHT, YOUNG LADY!":tt2:

I keep trying to remind myself to stand up straight...it has been hard after years of slouching and trying to hide myself.

We need to be proud and stand up straight!!

My Mom was always on me to stand up straight. I was always very thin and very tall and slouched a lot. I have found now that I have lost some weight and am looking better I automaticly stand up straighter...the straighter I am the flatter my belly looks and I like that.

I find that the more i lose and the smaller i get the straighter i stand! At my starting weight of 359 it was hard to stand straight i sorta had to walk hunched over to try and difuse some of the horrible back pain brought on by all my excess poundage.

I am a sloucher myself....always have been. :smile2: It is hard to get out of it but I KNOW I look so much better ( and smaller) when I STAND UP STRAIGHT!!!! LOL

Pam,

You are hilarious!!! I laughed so hard reading your post. We all have been a bit rebellious, haven't we? heehee..

It's strange when we catch our habits in the mirror, huh? I have seen myself slouching too and REALLY try to improve that. Don't worry about your boobs, its no big deal in the grand scheme of things! Your health and vitality are WAYYY more important.

Youre awesome! thanks for the great post.

278/230/180

I know exactly what you're writing about! Many of us not only have poor posture as it is near impossible for those small muscles between our shoulder blades to hold up all the weight we put on -- esp around our breasts and belly. All the years of being overweight put those posture muscles into a dead zone. Never really working.

I have found a solution: **Pilates!** 2 months after I was banded I walked into a local pilates studio and pre-paid for 4 lessons per week for the next 6 months. (Jan- June 2008) It cost me an arm and leg -- literally! It is expensive, but worth it to me to tone my body into a long and lean ballerina figure. Everyone is shocked and amazed at my body now. I am not only thinner (due to band) but toned and strong (pilates). I also believed it has prevented me from eventually needing to seek out a plastic surgeon to deal with loose skin. Granted, I started out as a lower BMI (36.5) so that is a factor too, however I have been able to tone as I lose weight... not just melt like a candle.

I also believe that cardio makes me hungrier. Pre-banding I ran 3 marathons and just ate more after each 2+ hour training run, despite trying weight watchers simultaneously. I am done with cardio as I now see how well my body responds to pilates. Much more strong than cardio.

The biggest change with pilates is how much my core is strengthened, and thereby my *posture*. I look 10 lbs thinner just by standing up with a strong and lean posture. It's amazing.

Now, I attend a pilates studio which is about $30 for a small class session or $80 for a private trainer session. It's worth the expense to me, however it could be replaced by a dedicated user of Pilates DVDs and a Magic Circle DVD. Magic circle is versatile pilates prop.

Pilates DVD:

books.do?page=all&gcid=S18376x028&keyword=pilates%20dvd" rel="external nofollow">Pilates Media: DVD Video, Pose books, and Music - Gaiam [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Winsor-Pilates-Collection-Sculpting-Accelerated/dp/B000KCUBH0]Amazon.com: Winsor Pilates 3 DVD Collection (Ab Sculpting, Bun & Thigh Sculpting, Accelerated Body Sculpting): Mari Winsor: Movies & TV[/ame]

Magic Circle:

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000JWLZAI]Amazon.com: Stamina Pilates Magic Circle with Workout DVD: Sports & Outdoors[/ame]

A lot of people who are banded have to sit/stand up straight or they get stuck. I was one of them. If I was slouching I'd barf. Posture is an issue for many banded folks while eating.

I didn't realize how much I slouched until I got the Wii Fit and it measured my balance and my posture. I was shocked by how much I had to lean backwards before the gauge said I was standing straight. It's helped me become much more aware of my posture.