Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What was the straw that broke the camel's back for you?

We recently moved into a 2 story home... The stairs are killing me.. When I go up to bed its like I ran a freaking marathon... My knees hurt so bad as well... When I told my kids (now adults) that I was having the surgery they said but we like you "fat" they said wait that came out wrong we like you the way you are...Then they agreed that I would most likely feel better losing weight...

I don't worry about trying to tie my shoes I by the backless type... Tie them once good for life...LOL...

Hi guys, first post here! I'm so happy to find a place to talk to others who understand. This thread has been so touching, I understand every single thing you guys have said here and I wish I could hug you all, I know how it feels.

For me the final straw is the plantar faciitis I've been battling for a year and a half. It can't heal because my poor foot is carrying the weight of 2 people. I'm going for my preop physical tomorrow, hoping for a surgery date in the very near future.

Well, I've been researching and have been thinking about LapBand for awhile now. I've been putting it off because I've been diluted about my ability to take off the weight. I'm 100 lbs overweight and everyone in my family thinks I can just diet and exercise and it will come off (basically, I haven't tried hard enough in their opinion).

Well, yesterday I received pictures from my mom that she took while visiting us. I about fell over! I didn't realize I looked THAT bad! It really grossed me out and made me cry. I made the call for the referral today. I'm hoping I can get banded by October. I know I can't lose THIS much weight by myself.

You are all so amazing! These stories are so touching and we all understand each others' pain so very well. What inspirational proof we ALL are! There are SO many straws...

- I have no children of my own so I look forward to being a Gramma to my step-children's kids one day. So one straw was having my 20 yr old step daughter say she won't bring her babies to me when she has some 'cuz I will make them fat :Banane03: - yeeeowch!

- Barely being able to walk my dogs and seeing the longing in their eyes, when at one time I ran a 1/2 marathon and trained with them.

- Having a child who doesn't know me make a comment that I should be on a diet

- HAVING to be on TV for my job and hearing people whispering in public places "hey-it's that fat chick from those commercials!"

- Having to watch myself when those same commercials are on the air :)

- Those summer pictures that people take - I don't even bother to try to escape anymore.

- And the final one that made me make the call to do this... my DH works out of town and surprised me by coming home on his 24 hour shift turn-around so we could have some romantic time. I showered and caught that "HOLY HELL!" :Banane11: glimpse in the bathroom mirror. I pretended I didn't feel well because I just couldn't let him touch me... SO GROSS!!!!! Well, being married for just under a year I said enough was enough. He deserves better and SO DO I. Years of fighting with this 100-80 pounds is OVER!!

Thanks so much for sharing everyone... the bending over, wiping yourself, how's about cutting your toenails??? They are all straws and I am SO GRATEFUL for everyone sharing theirs!!!

GOOD LUCK AND GOD'S BLESSINGS TO EACH AND EVERY ONE OF US!!!!!!:biggrin2:

My husband and I have been married for 5 years, 5 of which we've been trying to conceive. After being diagnosed with PCOS, insulin resistant, pre-diabetic, we tried artificial insemination three times... then moved up to IVF (in-vitro)... did that twice. One resulted in a pregnancy, I miscarried at 7 weeks, the second IVF resulted in non-pregnancy. So after 5 years, many pills, MANY needles and meds...and lots of $$$ we decided to get banded after our dr recommened I loose at least 100 lbs!! Tough to hear. So, here we are, 8 days post-op, 10 lbs down... and are hoping for the best. One of my many straws.

Hi everyone:

This is a great thread and I can say I have experienced all that everyone has mentioned. I have a really bad knee and my arthritis doctor has been trying to get me to have WLS for the last 5 years, so I changed doctors. ;)

I try to avoid pictures, but when I can't, I am just horrified and ashamed that I have let myself get to this point. My son always wants me in the picture no matter how I protest.

The final staw for me came after I was laid off from my job 4 years ago, after 28 years and could not get another job in my field. (It was not due to lack of education or experience, but due to my excess weight).:drool:

I became very depressed and confused which made me eat even more and I put on about 50lbs. This made my type 2 diabetes go out of control and I developed sleep apnea, also my bad knee keeps me from excersizing and even walking very far. I have been protesting against WLS, until my doctor told me very bluntly that my only alternative to surgery was an early death. :tt2:

Well, that got me really looking into the LapBand, and my son has been very encouraging. He tells me that he wants me around to be in his wedding next year and to play with any future grandchildren.:lol:

Edited by TravelLady48

Anne the Travel Lady,

That story is very touching. Your son really loves you and I'm so glad that you are on the path to better health. The best of luck to you!

For me, it was a lot of things over this past year. I've been thinking about this for a long time....

- Having to admit that I finally need to go up a size in clothes

- Having to change lines at a rollercoaster at Busch Gardens in December to get into the seats made larger for bigger people.

- Having a panic moment when I couldn't get my seat belt fastened on the airplane to Las Vegas. I finally got it fastened just before the airline attendant got there with the extender. I refused it and she made a big deal out of it, "Are you sure? I don't want you to be uncomfortable. Please use the extender if you need it." Shut up, already!!!

- Getting married while I was in Las Vegas and not wanting to see the pictures because I knew I wouldn't know the face looking back at me.

- Seeing pictures of my reception back at home, and cringing when I saw myself.

- Realizing that my new husband has never known a smaller me, and he deserves it as much as I do, even though he swears he loves me for me, just the way I am.

- Facing a lifetime of raising my wonderful stepson, and realizing that all the overweight women in my family have had heart attacks in their early 50s. I don't stand a chance if I don't lose the weight. I want to be there for all of his life events.

I am glad that this post existed. I am really struggling with my clear liquid diet, and just writing this has made me remember why I'm doing it. Thank you, Vegasgirl!!!

Looking for Me:

You're welcome! southerngirl started this thread and it sure has been a good one. Lots of touching stories and truths. Good luck to you!

I can't shave my legs without difficulty and I love to paint my toenails and now can't. I have experienced every single one of those things you have all posted... the airline seatbelt not fitting, my car seatbelt not fitting, having to ask for a table instead of a booth.... and this is in AMERICA where things are bigger for us Brits. I even have to buy my clothes over there because only America has my size t shirts. My health is suffering and one final thing made me get banded last Wednesday... it was the fact that my special needs daughter loves me so much and looks up to me so much she aspires to be like me... weight an' all :thumbup: I have to get thinner for HER sake if not my own. I cannot allow her to become just like me.

Hi Nancy, I just read this. I am so sorry about your husband and even though my own husband is healthy, I can understand that you are so stressed. I so feel for you. I pray that you get the information you need to get the process started for lapband. I'm getting closer.

By the way, I'm in Cary, NC. :thumbup:)

Have a good night.

Kathy S.

Wow! I am really surprised to see the thread still going. There have been times when I felt so very alone in this struggle and thought no one could relate.:blushing::frown:

But there will a day soon when we can all we be taking another step to control this. I look forward to that day!:ohmy:

For me, it has been various reasons, but yesterday while driving down the street, my 4 year old son saw a horse and announced "Look, that horse's butt is as big as mommy's!!!". I haven't been able to tear myself away from the computer all day (doing research).

For me, it has been various reasons, but yesterday while driving down the street, my 4 year old son saw a horse and announced "Look, that horse's butt is as big as mommy's!!!". I haven't been able to tear myself away from the computer all day (doing research).

Been there and it sucks. I am sorry that you had to experience that.

The "straw that broke the camels back" for me wqas about a month ago i was at six flags with my girlfriend and her family i went on the river rapids and could barly buckle my seat belt. finanlly when the attendent got it i just wanted to get off i had a horrible time on the ride and when it was over i just cried! It was a horrible i have gained 10lbs since march cause my father passed away and i dont know how to deal with it other than food

I meet with the surgen This thursday i hope all goes well!!!:confused: