Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What was the straw that broke the camel's back for you?

For me, it has been putting the weight on yet again after so many times of trying to keep it off. It has been getting to the point where my underwear and bra are tight,:unsure: not being able to bend over to tie my shoes, etc.:(:cursing: But the worse has been my little one telling me " Mommy, you are fat!":frown::mad: I know he is only 5 but man that did sting:frown:. So I want to be here for him and my other kids. I want the outside to match the inside.

So what's your story?

I think it's more than a "straw" in my case. My husband has been diagnosed with Parkinson's disease. As it (quickly) progresses, I find myself under more and more stress. I am eating as much or more than ever, and worried, finally, at age 54, and at 275 lbs., that I will have a heart attack.

I am not banded yet, but am looking into the possibility. I go to an information session this week and meet with a doctor later this month.

Good topic, southerngirl.

Nancy

hmmm dude ok sounds stupid but i can't freaking tie my shoes!!! dude i was a high school cheeleader, dance team, cross country, and now i can't tie my shoes...are you serious!!! i'm like somethings gotta change...i'd lose 40 pounds gain 60, lose 30 gain 40, recently lost 17 gained 36....now multiply those most recent 3 attempts times 50...and now at 288 lbs, i'm realizing that i need some help...my stomachs too big its soooo hard to tie my shoes...and oh good lord if i'm in class and my pencil/pen hits the floor, yeah its gonna stay there...

For me, it has been putting the weight on yet again after so many times of trying to keep it off. It has been getting to the point where my underwear and bra are tight,:unsure: not being able to bend over to tie my shoes, etc.:(:cursing: But the worse has been my little one telling me " Mommy, you are fat!":frown::mad: I know he is only 5 but man that did sting:frown:. So I want to be here for him and my other kids. I want the outside to match the inside.

So what's your story?

For me, like you, it was the repeated success followed by failure. I lost 160 lbs over two years, and managed to maintain my weight for a blissful two years before I changed everything about my lifestyle, (divorce, new business, different hours, parents died, kids moved out...etc) and suddenly, all that careful organization just needed to be entirely reorganized, and I failed to do that. Without a structured plan, I had no self control. I gained back 100 of what I had lost before I said, "OK....time for drastic measures. I need a powerful tool to help do what I know how to do."

hmmm dude ok sounds stupid but i can't freaking tie my shoes!!! dude i was a high school cheeleader, dance team, cross country, and now i can't tie my shoes...are you serious!!! i'm like somethings gotta change...i'd lose 40 pounds gain 60, lose 30 gain 40, recently lost 17 gained 36....now multiply those most recent 3 attempts times 50...and now at 288 lbs, i'm realizing that i need some help...my stomachs too big its soooo hard to tie my shoes...and oh good lord if i'm in class and my pencil/pen hits the floor, yeah its gonna stay there...

It's the same thing. I was a captain of the dance team in high school, a cheerleader for three years before that. I remember when I could bend and twist myself around like it was nothing. An now it is ajob to tie my shoes.:unsure:

Oh gosh me too i can barely tie them, thats why i just leave them untied, like the other day my husband told me one of my shoes were untied and i just shrugged, we were in the grocery store and i didnt want to make a public display of trying to bend down to tie my shoe....

Gosh there are so many reasons, but i can tell you is...my health is deteriating, and so is my happyness....

I love to do hair, its such a part of my life, it makes me happy, but when i saw this picture of me doing hair for a wedding it broke my heart, cause i'm smiling so big...but then i see my body, and my head that looks dislocated from my body...tottally destroys my mood. im so embarassed for showing this picture i would never post it anywhere else, i hope to one day be banded, just waiting for approval..

post-243201-13813137307938_thumb.jpg

Oh gosh me too i can barely tie them, thats why i just leave them untied, like the other day my husband told me one of my shoes were untied and i just shrugged, we were in the grocery store and i didnt want to make a public display of trying to bend down to tie my shoe....

Gosh there are so many reasons, but i can tell you is...my health is deteriating, and so is my happyness....

I love to do hair, its such a part of my life, it makes me happy, but when i saw this picture of me doing hair for a wedding it broke my heart, cause i'm smiling so big...but then i see my body, and my head that looks dislocated from my body...tottally destroys my mood. im so embarassed for showing this picture i would never post it anywhere else, i hope to one day be banded, just waiting for approval..

You are a beautiful woman! I know you don't feel it, and kudos for making positive choices to start the process of fixing what you don't like. But please do yourself a favor, and starting telling yourself positive things every day now.

And I know exactly what you mean about the shame you feel when you look at that picture. I have been there. Check out my pics on my profile! You look positively svelt next to me!

You are a beautiful woman! I know you don't feel it, and kudos for making positive choices to start the process of fixing what you don't like. But please do yourself a favor, and starting telling yourself positive things every day now.

And I know exactly what you mean about the shame you feel when you look at that picture. I have been there. Check out my pics on my profile! You look positively svelt next to me!

absolutely fantastic, congrats on the loss, you did an awesome job, i hope to be as successful as you are:thumbs_up:

I don't even know what it's like to be thin, except for 1993 when I went on Jenny Craig and lost 80 lbs, down to 200. I think I even went under to 198 for about a week. I worked out incessantly. I think I was addicted to exercise and was solid muscle. I don't even know what a good goal weight is for me. I'm tall and have very compact fat as opposed to fluffy fat. My mom compares me to a pillowcase. Imagine packing cotton in a pillowcase until it's so firm. The pillowcase hasn't gotten any bigger, but it's hard as a rock. I'm big, no lie. But people think I weigh less than what I do. I'm now 320 and some lady at my lapband seminar said I looked really good. I carry it well. Shoot! I don't want to carry it, PERIOD! You know? I've never been a cheerleader and don't even know what it's like to be "normal," if that's ok to say.

The straw was a really bad PMS episode a few weeks ago. Mixed with personal problems, kid away at camp, boyfriend pissed me off, and can't even think about going to this work seminar in October because they might make me buy an extra seat on the plane. Screw that! I've had enough, you know? I want to be FEARLESS and FABULOUS at 50 in a couple of years. My life is just beginning. And you ladies who haven't reached your 40s yet. Just wait! If I had been banded 10 years ago, nothing would have stopped me. You are sooooo lucky. Being 40 is downright the best decade of your life, and being banded is going to make it freakin' awesome! WhoooHoo!:unsure:

For me it was a few things; not being able to buckle my seat belt on the plane for the first time, Dreading going up yet another size in jeans, not being able to cross my legs anymore and probably the biggy, when my fiance gave up on me, moved out and said he didn't love me anymore. That's also when I realized that I didn't love myself very much either. food that was my friend was killing me and betraying my body. So I decided to take control over my destiny and make me a happier person, not to mention healthier to boot.:unsure:

The "straw" for me was my 4th meeting at Weight Watchers and I hadn't lost a single pound. In fact I had put on 2 lbs! I left the meeting in tears :crying:after weighing in. I went to my desk and called the surgeon that same day. I have never been back to weight watchers. That was 7 months ago. I am currently waiting to for my insurance approval. I should be banded by the end of August!:unsure:

OMG ok i was going to include that in mine but i decided not to...oh yeah, shoes untied all day! i try to do one good tie in the morning, hope it last...but i Swear just the other day some one was like your shoes untied, i was like, yeah i know...kept walking.

It's the same thing. I was a captain of the dance team in high school, a cheerleader for three years before that. I remember when I could bend and twist myself around like it was nothing. An now it is ajob to tie my shoes.:unsure:

awww we have our own club now! nice to meet you! cause i'm like toe touch, ROFLMAO! not trying for cardiac arrest!

awww we have our own club now! nice to meet you! cause i'm like toe touch, ROFLMAO! not trying for cardiac arrest!

Man I could not do a toe touch to save my life right now.:unsure:

For me it was a 2 week trip in Disneyworld and the first day my feet swelled up so big I couldn't walk...so, I had to rent a scooter! Talk about EMBARASSING! I got home and had the surgery 1 month later! 10 months later I am down about 95 pounds and feel like a completely different person.

Like some of the others in high school I was very active, swim team, band, and drill team. I wasn't skinney, but hey I was no way fat at all. In the military I even had perfect numbers (34, 23, 36) and could fit INSIDE the wing of a c-130 aircraft. Now I don't even fit on a roller coaster or inside a airplane seat. When I skipped out on a field trip to the zoo with my girls because I didn't want to embarass them in front of their new friends I finaly realized that I need whatever help I can get from the doctor. I may never be a size 5 again, but I can't wait to be able to buy clothes ina the regular sizes again.