Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi everyone. My username gives away most of the information one would typically put here, but Hi, i'm Jay, age 25, and living in MA.

I'm completely new to this whole thing and am taking the initial steps (right now i'm looking over insurance companies [any suggestions?] as I just started a new job) and hoping to be another success story!

Welcome JayinMA. Congratulations on making a change. I was elf pay, so I can't help you with that. I just wanted to wlecome you and wish you well. Good luckw itht he new job too! Hope to see you around the threads.

I wish I had the LB when I was your age!

Self Pay? Would it be rude of me to ask what that ball park figure looks like if you do self pay? I'm sure it changes from hospital to hospital and surgeon to surgeon but it would be nice to know if the insurance thing doesn't work out I would like to have a plan B so i'm just not devastated.

Self pay in the united states is around 22,000. Mexico less than half that. So you see a lot of self pay people here research and go to Mexico, but get follow up care here around them in the USA. Do your research around here, it helps tons! :blink:

Hi Jay:

I'm in MA too. I have HMO Blue New England and my out of pocket costs were minimal (less than $1,000). I went to a great surgeon that has an entire weight loss program. I think he only takes people that have insurance coverage, no self pays.

Good luck.

Sue

My self pay cost is $15,000.

That includes pre-op appointments, the surgery and all things included in that, and a year of follow-ups and fills.

We're having it out-patient though, which may be why it's less than some. I suppose staying overnight adds quite a bit.

Best of luck to you!

Dr. Kirshenbaum (you can check him out on my signature), he is in Colorado, he charges $9950, that includes everything, plus three months follow up, fills are $15. He is amazing. I have met many people that have gone to him from all over. Alaska, Florida, Arizona, South Carolina, Minisota...we have a thread here, considering Dr. Kirshenbaum.

Good Luck, I hope your insurance wil cover it for you. I think Dr. K only takes self pay patients, not 100 percent sure about that though.

Hi Jay,

I am a self pay patient that went to Mexico. My entire cost, including 3 night's stay, (two in the hospital hotel room, and one in the hospital room) my airfare for two, I took a person along to make sure I was ok, and all surgery and care, was $8,000.

My care was outstanding, and I could have easily done it by myself, and saved about $800. But better safe than sorry. They met me at the airport with a sign bearing my name, took me to the hospital, did the ekg, blood work, and x-rays, and took care of me so well from start to finish, then took me back to the airport, and I was on my way home three days later.

I know there are disadvantages to going to Mexico, (such as not having ready access to your surgeon should complications arise) but for me, it was the only possible option, and the experience has gone smoothly, and all been positive so far!

Good luck!!!

Thanks for all your answers, everyone!

I'm hoping insurance will cover it but it's nice to know that there are options just in case it doesn't.

Welcome, JayInMA, you will find cost varies across the nation. I am self pay as well and my cost will be $11,500 which includes all post-op visits and fills for one year.