Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Some questions I have...Please answer...

Good Morning All ~

I have a few questions for those who have had the lap-band surgery...

1. How long were you out of work?

2. Explain to me what getting "stuck" feels like.

3. How soon after surgery can you begin to excercise?

4. Were you afraid to eat after the surgery?

5. If you have a spouse/significant other.. How did they handle your weight loss?

I am sure I have more... Just can't think of them at this time. If you have any other tidbits to shair. Please do!

Love you all and have a great DAY!

Lisa

juggle.gif

Im new at being banded but I will go ahead and try to answer you.

1. How long were you out of work? I dont work, but I was back at school 2 weeks after surgery. I think it all depends on how you feel after. Some people will go back to work 1 week after surgery.

2. Explain to me what getting "stuck" feels like. Im not going to lie, It Hurts! It feels like a sharp pain in your chest and it seems like you cant swallow, well that is what it felt like to me...but to avoid this, take small bites and chew very well.

3. How soon after surgery can you begin to excercise? I think you would need the stitches that are placed on the inside to heal really well. So heavy duty workouts I would wait about 4-6 weeks. Right after surgery you want to start walking right away.

4. Were you afraid to eat after the surgery? Its not that I was afraid to eat after sugery.. It was that I couldnt eat after surgery. You need the time to heal before you can eat solids. Its always good to go by what your Dr. tells you. And when you do eat.. Take small bites and chew chew chew!

5. If you have a spouse/significant other.. How did they handle your weight loss? My husband is very happy. Its not about me looking good, he happy that Im going to be healthy. We want to grow old together and I think the Lapband is going to help me do that. hehehe

I hope I helped a little, Like I said im still new at all this bandster stuff. Hopefully you will get a good variety of answers!

1. How long were you out of work?I was off work 1 week! I think it depends on what type job you have. But I would say at least one week and you will be feeling better.

2. Explain to me what getting "stuck" feels like.The stuck feeling is like a bad pressure in your chest. you feel all most like you are going to throw up but you don't... eventually the stuck food will go down but it could take a few minutes.Deffinatly not a pleasent experience,but deffinatly one to learn from!!!

3. How soon after surgery can you begin to excercise?My Dr. said I could start excersising after 2 weeks. (definatly walk alot after surgery because it will help with the gas pressure)!He said just don't lift anything and also dont do anything extra vigorous.( ask your Dr. he may have his own guidelines)

4. Were you afraid to eat after the surgery?Not afraid to eat just cautious. the first 6 weeks you will be easing your way back to regular food. So that helps to know what your stomach can tolerate and what it can't cause you start of slow and then work your way back up to solids.

Right after a fill can be tricky, so you have to start off slow with that too. Maybe liquids for a couple days, then mushys and so on. And as I'm finding out it could take a few days to a few weeks for a fill to KICK in so you will have to make a permanent habit of eating small bites and chew really well.

5. If you have a spouse/significant other.. How did they handle your weight loss?My husband and fammily have been so great through all of this and as a matter of fact when my mom gets medical Ins. that will cover the band she is looking into getting banded her self. My husband is so happy that I'm getting healthier and I feel like I'm setting a good example for my family as well because they are eating better too!!

I'm only one week out, but I can give you the early thoughts.

I had surgery on Wednesday and was back at work on Monday. I don't have a very stressful or physical job, though. It was a little uncomfortable sitting in office chairs all day but I just got up and walked around regularly.

Don't know yet.

I don't know about working out but walking right away really does help the gas pains. I hardly had any!

Yes! You just go slow and just go on liquids and slowly work to mushies. My dr. only has liquids for 2 days and then mushies and I haven't had any problems so far.

5. If you have a spouse/significant other.. How did they handle your weight loss?

He has been really supportive but before the surgery he was really freaked out. Once the surgery part was over he was fine.

1. How long were you out of work? I'm a full time student. I had my surgery during spring break, and was back to classes the next Monday. Horseback riding two weeks out of surgery

2. Explain to me what getting "stuck" feels like. hmmm, I get a pressure, and well, suck. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful

3. How soon after surgery can you begin to excercise? crunches and walking the first week out, horseback riding starting the second week

4. Were you afraid to eat after the surgery? Nope, no fear.

5. If you have a spouse/significant other.. How did they handle your weight loss? Well, my DH has lost almost 200 pounds. To say I did the happy dance is an understatement. I've only seen him once since the surgery, for one weekend, so there hasn't been a big difference in his reaction to me. He's always just so happy to see me anyway... :)

I took 10 days off not because I did not feel good physically, more because of mental, I work around foodand I was on liquids and did not wantto go back to work until I was on the mushy food stage.

It feels like a golf ball trying to get through a very small hole

I was told 6 weeks

No

My husband has been so supportive and loves the new me, he loved me at 265 to him I did not have a weight problem. He fell in love with me being overweight.

1. How long were you out of work?***few days

2. Explain to me what getting "stuck" feels like.***very painful like others said

3. How soon after surgery can you begin to excercise?***I ran 80 minutes on the treadmill today(3 weeks in)

4. Were you afraid to eat after the surgery?***uh huh but did it anyway

5. If you have a spouse/significant other.. How did they handle your weight loss?**he is always supportive of everything I do but Ive only lost 15 pounds and you cant even tell yet.

Good Morning All ~

1. How long were you out of work? Surgery Monday, stopped into the office on Thursday, (shhh, drove myself too).

2. Explain to me what getting "stuck" feels like. If you're talking about needles, ouch, if you're talking about food, think of swallowing a golf ball.

3. How soon after surgery can you begin to excercise? Now that you mentioned it, I'm going to start real soon.

4. Were you afraid to eat after the surgery? Not afraid at all, but I was very respectful of my band, ate very slowly, took very small bites, (used baby spoon and fork at first), and chewed ALOT!

5. If you have a spouse/significant other.. How did they handle your weight loss? My dh is thrilled, years ago when I was younger he used to *itch about my weight a lot, then as we got older it didn't bother him so much. He makes over it almost every day, he's very happy, but I remind him often, I'm glad he's happy, but I did it for me.

1. How long were you out of work? One week and a day

2. Explain to me what getting "stuck" feels like. I have never had this happen, and hoping it never will..

3. How soon after surgery can you begin to excercise? I waited 2 weeks, and I started off slow, by just walking no heavy lifting.. I still shy away from heavy lifting I think it's a mental thing, I can see Delarla's photoes in my head...Not that that caused her problems but I am very protective of my little buddy..

4. Were you afraid to eat after the surgery? Yes, a little but I got over it real quick

5. If you have a spouse/significant other.. How did they handle your weight loss? I could not or would not have wanted to do it without my DH, He has been my rock...And he is the only one that knows about my band... I think he loves my weight loss, but he loved me at a plus size too. I think I'm much happier so it makes his life hapier...

Good luck to you!!!! I hope this helps

1. How long were you out of work? I'm a stay at home mom. I'm never off. I had a rough start though...surgery Friday, tried to stay home w/ my 2yo all day on Monday and couldn't handle it. I was exhausted and miserable. He weighs 38 pounds so I taught him to climb onto the chaging table, which helped. But my sis ended up hanging out w/ me for the next two days. I might have been fine after that but began having swelling/PB problems, yada yada. The following Monday is when I was able to get back on Mom duty. I was also able to go without driving for over a week. I might have been able to drive sooner, but got willied about putting my children into a 4 ton minivan with me at the wheel going 50+mph. Just couldn't do it! Worked out fine though.

2. Explain to me what getting "stuck" feels like. Oh my gosh it hurts! Golf ball in chest, yes. You can still breath, although you think you can't, but it takes your breath away for a sec. Then very uncomfortable until is passes. if you PB it, which is NOT good, the relief is instant. whew! Avoid getting stuck. It causes swelling and more getting stuck, and PBs. small bites, chew chew chew.

3. How soon after surgery can you begin to excercise? Walking immediately. This Friday is 6 weeks and I feel fine to get back to aerobics classs and do some light weights. Okay, so I'll go now, OKAY?!!!! :)

4. Were you afraid to eat after the surgery? Nope. Just afraid to swallow.

5. If you have a spouse/significant other.. How did they handle your weight loss? DH is very supportive, hopeful that this will really help me get my wieght off. He knows how hard it is for me and just lets me do my thing. We have had a few conversations about "No food Police". He doesn't need to watch and comment and worry...just let me handle it. He's great so far!

1. How long were you out of work? I stayed home for a week.

2. Explain to me what getting "stuck" feels like. Well its like u cant swallow and it kind of gets stuck in the middle and to be honest it hurts but when i began chewing properly which mean small bites ans eating slowly it got much better.

3. How soon after surgery can you begin to excercise? I think 40 days, not sure though

4. Were you afraid to eat after the surgery? I had to go on liquids but after the liquid phase i was a little but i used to eat mushed up food then when i got to the solids i took real small bites and it was ok.

5. If you have a spouse/significant other.. How did they handle your weight loss? well normally but once u lose the weight u get alot more attention so sometimes theres a bit of jealousy but it depends on the person.

I took 9 days including the weekends just so I knew I would be strong when back at work.

By getting stuck, do you mean when you have a PB? For me it's been a feeling of a bubble just above my stomach with a strong pain in the chest.

My doctor said 2 weeks for the treadmill/stationary bike and then 3 months for weights.

A little but I was on liquids for 10 days and then to mushies. It got easier each day.

Still losing (just banded on 3/25) and he's been very supportive. Went with me to the seminars and agreed if I wanted to do it and if it made me happier to do it.

Good luck and check back in with us! Laura

Check out some You tube videos from Skymoon. . . she and her husband had issues because he preferred bigger women. . so he felt unattracted as she got down on her numbers, they went through marital counseling.

I recommend keeping an open line of communication and asking him questions. I have heard all kinds of bad things that occur in a relationship when all the weight is lost because you do change some. What you like and enjoy doing is different at 300 to 150.

This is actually my biggest concern about the process but my husband is very supportive about it and I share everything with him and allow him to question anything about it he wants. Don't get mad if they ask questions we may be insulted about .. . he has good intentions and is just worried usually!!

I was working, part-time, within two days or so. But I have a very flexible job that allows me to work at home.
It hurts---enough that you really, really want the pain to stop ASAP. Fortunately, it usually passes quickly--one way or another (the food either moves through the stoma or is expelled)
Walking can be done immediately postop; more strenuous exercise, including weight-lifting, is postponed until after the 4-week check. At that time I was cleared to exercise without restriction.
No! I was hungry, and happy to do it. Restriction is a very gradual process, so early eating experiences tend to be pretty much like preop eating.
Well, we're divorcing; he likes the loss just fine, but the loss has helped give me the strength to leave a marriage in which my needs have not been met.