Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi everyone,

Checking in happy, happy, happy. Went for a follow-up today (I took so little at first fill that the Dr. didn't want to do one for a while). Down 45 pounds!

It was a roller-coaster visit. First, chatting with the nurse, she tells me that I'm eating too much at a sitting (I can eat anywhere from 4 up to 8 oz depending on the day because me restriction seems to change day to day). She scared me about stretching the pouch down the road if I'm not careful. She even said I drink too much- that I have to sip very slowly and drink less than 8oz and hour. OKAY. Deep breath.

Then the resident came in because the Dr. was in a meeting. He told me that maybe I could eat more because my band had slipped slightly!!! He said they can slip slightly, not enough to require surgery and then the scar tissue forms around the slightly slipped band and so you can eat a bit more than others. OKAY. Deep breath.

I told him I planned to wait until my Dr. was out of his meeting (that was scheduled when I had an appointment (!). That's a pet thing of mine. I like to see the Dr himself.

SO.....he finally comes in, listens and tell me

1. Not at all concerned about my stretching out my pouch and liquids go right through- not an issue.

2. Your band did not slip at all. You'd feel it and would have pain and/or vomitting. So much for the resident standing there, eh?

3. HE SAID I'M DOING GREAT- WAY AHEAD OF THE CURVE AND EVERYTHING'S GREAT.

He said schedule a fill, although I many only be able to take 1/2 a cc or so. He said I'm working too hard not to eat a lot and that he wants to make it easier for me. That's okay with me. He also said that he thinks I won't be really happy until all issues are truly dispelled so he'll look at the x-ray with me when he does the fill and show me that all is well.

So, another story of how information changes and lots of good news- I felt great when I left.

Hope everyone's having a good day as well!

Thanks, Mamakatken!

I called for appointment, but am now waiting til Friday as the doctor's schedule may open up and I really prefer having my surgeon rather than one of the fellows do the fill. That will be 8 weeks between fills.

You're doing great too. I noticed that we're close in all things. I'll be 57 next month, we started at the same weight, and we're both losing really nicely.

GOOD FOR US!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Guest Leslie2Lose

Yea Gwenn! I'm glad you had some good news :-)

Quick question to anyone- did anyone feel a little nauseous after a fill? I have all afternoon. It's starting to taper off a bit, but I don't feel terrific. I'm going to try a little peppermint tea.

Hi Gwenn,

Yes! I felt nauseous after this last fill I had. It lasted a day or two if I recall. It was kinda weird. I didn't actually need to vomit, but just felt funny almost immediately after I sat up from the actual fill. I just took it easy until it passed. Stayed on liquids.< /p>

I hope that doesn't mean it'll be too tight. I've felt too tight ever since.

~C

Mine's gone now too. But oh boy, the gas! Whenever I'm on liquids for more than a day, the gas begins filling me up. Empty space right? So, I'm trying to have more today. Tonight I can go to mushies, then Sunday, back to real food (although I tend to eat a lot of mushies) I feel somewhat restricted, but will know more as I switch. I don't want to be too tight. I told the doctor that. I'm losing well with eating a decent amount. I try to stay under 1000 calories a day.

See ya.

gdf18-I'm so proud of your weight loss. I'm on a month long plateau right now. I try not to get discouraged, but at least I'm not gaining. The kids will start back to school in 2 weeks and I won't have an excuse not to go to the gym anymore. I hope that once I get back into my workout routine I'll see the scales moving again. I'm wondering if I need a fill, but the money is hard to come by right now with having to buy uniforms and school supplies.

Hey Mamak,

You are doing great. Sometimes our bodies just need time to take in everything we've done. I feel like the losing is really slowing down, but I think I look thinner, and that's very important too. I try to remember that weight is not the best determiner all the time because just get on different scales and the number is different! I have two scales and both are good and both are in the same spot when I weigh and they are two pounds apart. Which one is correct? Oh, and hte doctors scale falls right in between.

Speaking of fills....I had one last week. I didn't think it was very restrictive. I was able to eat 1/2 a bagel last night. Then today, I went out for japanese food and I don't know what it was, but something got REALLY stuck. Really really stuck. Boy did that hurt for almost an hour. I tried bringing it up but for hte second time, just slimed instead. YUCH!

I paid for lunch but didn't get to eat it at all. Ended up having Atkins drink a while later. I got down 1/2 a salmon burger and a little baked pot for dinner. It hurt all the way down. I think I'm very sore. I'm full and a bit naueous now. There's a lesson for me. Don't think that just because it's not too tight one day, that it will be open the next. WHEW! Killer.

Guest Leslie2Lose

Gwen you sound like me the last couple of days. I don't know if it was stuck or a stomach virus. I got so sick yesterday - couldn't keep anything down other than liquids. I think something got stuck...anyway this morning it took me forever to eat Breakfast. I think I'm swolen (pray that's all it is). I'm on liquids today and mushies tomorrow. I think my tummy needs the rest.

Hey Leslie,

You're doing the smartest thing. I'm being careful too. I'm actually very happy on mushies. Lots of comfort food is mushy.Unfortunately, mashed potatoes are one of them and they slide down toooo well.

I'm also finding something happening and I don't know if I'm nuts or not....

I know that there are lots of bandsters like me who find it very difficult to eat in the morning. I just can't get food down. So, I do lots of liquids which also helps. BUT, I don't do much better with lunch since this last fill. It's hard to get food down, although I can if I'm very careful. HOWEVER, dinner is easy. Food goes right down (well, not yesterday, but hte other days since the fill). I seem to have a band that is looser at night! I'm not complaining, but I haven't really heard this.

Anyone else finding their band get's looser in the evening, or is this just my own little band myth?

Hi Gwen,

I have the same problem. I am unable to eat solids in the mornings. I usually drink a Slimfast or other Protein shake for Breakfast and that takes me quite a while! I can barely eat lunch, but by the time dinner comes I am better. I still can't eat much, but it's a huge difference from morning to evening. I prefer to eat dinner now around 8 pm, but then I can't go to bed at 10 because it feels like it's in my throat still!

L2L: Girl it's been forever since we've talked. I love your avatar pictures. It's like watching a slide show! LOL You are beautiful!

I am doing fine by the way. I haven't vomited in a few weeks now, and I'm starting to get the hang of these little tiny meals. My nurse practioner is running a few labs on me in the morning to be sure I'm not malnourished. She thinks I could use an unfill too, but has agreed to wait a few more weeks to see if it's my "behavior". We will wait and see what the labs read and go from there.

~Carol

Thank you, Carol! So glad it's not just me! I don't even try Protein in the AM. Right now with the summer heat, I treat myself to an ice Decaf and put in splenda and fat free half and half. Delish. And by time I've finished, I've had 3 cups of Fluid. Add that to my metamucil cocktails and that's 5. So I just have to get down 3 more a day and I've met my eight. So, the morning is good for something. I still get plenty of Protein in during the rest of the day.

I'm sorry to hear you've been vomitting so much. Maybe you do have to unfill, but you know, it will keep softening. Did anyone do an xray to make sure the band is still in place? Feel good!!!!!!!!!

Guest Leslie2Lose

Gwen/Carol - ya'll aren't alone either. I'm super tight in the mornings (sometimes hard to get runny foods down). I usually start with coffee first thing - it seems to losen me up a bit. I used to loath coffee, but since I've given up Diet Dr. Pepper - gotta have a pick me up in the mornings. Ah Caffine! By dinner time I feel like I could eat a horse! Last week I was super lose (all week), but since Saturday I've tightened up quite a bit. I was able to eat some Cereal last night - so I think the swelling is going down.

Carol - Girl I know! We haven't talked in a while. I was thinking of you the other day wondering how you were. Our four month bandiversary is coming up! Time has flown. I seem to lose in spurts - I haven't lost anything in a couple of weeks. I'm hoping this plateau breaks soon. It's discouraging. Thanks for the Avatar comment - you are too sweet! I can't seem to stick with a picture I like. LOL As for your doctor - when does he get back?

Leslie/Carol

The worst of the "progressive eating" all day is that by evening I'm very hungry and so I can eat too much at dinner. Calorie wise it's not a huge issue, but in volume it is. Last night I had lowfat cheese and Tomato on top of sliced portabello mushrooms for dinner. Very filling, and mushrooms are really no calories, but at the end I ate too many slices of what was a good and balanced dinner. I get too full at night if I'm not careful. It's a HEAD issue I know, and I'm working on it, but changing everything in less than 4 months is not reality. It's gonna take time. At least I'm losing so I know I'm moving in the right direction.

And count me in on the 4 month anniversary too. I may be the 30th, but I'm still an April Avenger!