Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

purees right after surgery? Advice Needed, please!

Hi there!

I'm newly banded (June 30th) and I've been faithfully following my surgeon's post op eating instructions. The only issue is that his instructions state that lap band patients follow a modified diet of pureed foods directly after surgery for 4 weeks. So, smooth applesauce or cream Soup consistency foods for the first month. After that, eating regularly is fine (with all the other precautions for eating slowly, no longer than 1/2 hour, etc).

I didn't think anything of this, but after reading here, it looks like most surgeons have their bandsters on Clear Liquids, then full liquids and then mushies (is this the same as purees?). It also seems that most post op plans are 6 weeks, and mine is only four.

So.... will I hurt my pouch or band if I continue to follow my surgeon's plan? Would I have more success or minimize the long term risks of erosion or slipping by going to full liquids?

I've been eating cream of chicken soup, french onion broth, Protein Shakes, sf pudding, applesauce, blended Beans, hummus, and low fat blended potato salad (for the fourth!). I think I have some post surgery restriction, because it takes very little for me to feel full -- though I'm eating way faster than the 1/2 hour mark. I've had no issues with vomiting or PBing or discomfort beyond a full feeling and I've lost about 5 pounds since Monday's surgery.

Any advice?

My post-op diet was a weekly progression from full liquids, to puree (dont have to chew), soft (can chew these foods) to unrestricted. I cannot find any research evidence that shows that one post-op diet is superior to another and surgeons seem to have their own experiences and preference. IMO if you chose your surgeon you should follow their advice.

I was on clear liquids for 3 days, liquids for 4 days, mushies for 2 weeks, soft solids for two weeks and finally most anything as long as it doesn't bother me.

I wouldn't worry about the doctor's orders. I suspect we all could have had mushies and solids sooner.

Really the most important thing is that you get the required Protein - unless you use concentrated supplements that is hard to do.

I really like cottage cheese - full of protein and a Calcium product.

Take care.

It really depends on the surgeons wishes....your pouch can handle it after 4, but some make it 6 JUST to be on the safe side...if you feel it could do harm than try some liquids and see if you like that for a couple days then go to puree and mushie.

Josh

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

event.png

Band Date: July 9th, 2008

Insurance: Medica

Current Weight: 299 lbs.

Goal Weight: 190 lbs.

Only a few more days and I will have broken this curse that has haunted me!!! GOOD LUCK TO ALL THE JULY BANDSTERS!!

My surgeron is having me do a week of clears, then a week of full liquids, then puree...

I think that you need to do what feels right for your body.

I was told by Dr Fox, 10 day pre-op clear liquids, 5 weeks after surgery clear liquids, then in weeks 5-9 it will be the puree foods with solid food after week 9. Part is due to how he puts the band in. Clear Liquids also include SF Jello, and SF Popsicle.

My wife and I both went for lap band on June 30th and am surprised to hear the variety of advice on post op eating coming from surgeons. We were told 3 days of clear liquids, 5 weeks of full liquids and then on to whatever we could tolerate but the need for Protein Shakes was really stressed. The problem is with the amount - (and taste) - we can only tolerate about 2 oz at a time without pain and 2 oz even of Protein Shake only gets you a small when they tell you to get 80 grams a day. So, who solved this mystery - by getting enough Protein that did not taste awful?

The

My doc's orders:

1-2 days clear liquids

1-2 days full liquids

2-3 weeks mushies

1-2 weeks soft food

slowly encorporate regular food from that point on.

I have struggled with hunger a little bit. The 2nd day was the worst for me. I had a complete emotional breakdown and cried. I think I didn't get enough calories for the day though because I only got like 350 calories that whole day.

Ideas for Protein are those protein 'bullets' you get from he health food store. They have helped me a lot. I drink 1/2 of one of them in the morning and the other 1/2 at night for a total of 42 grams of protein. That is on top of what I am getting from my diet. Every day is a little better, but it is tough. Anyone who thinks this is the 'easy' way out is nuts, that is for sure!

Banded: 07/01/08

I was surprised to hear your surgeons orders. I was banded on 6/27 and had to have Water, broth, tea, Jello, you know, clear liquids. The 2nd week I could have full liuids, like Campbells Soup at Hand, skim milk, soy milk, applesauce, Protein powders added, other Soups (put through the blender first)...then next week I start mushies. Based on all that I've read on these forums, your situation does appear different.

PMCHALE,

Have you tried the New Whey 3.1 Liquid Protein vials that have 42gm of Protein - it comes in fruit punch, orange, grape? There is also the ProSlam that has peach and has 45gm. This is the only way I can get my protein. Some days I only use half of the vial and other days more. The thing that is nice about these is that you get all that protein in 3.1 ounces. Also, you can carry these anywhere. I also heard they had a whey tasteless product - haven't ran across this yet. This is just what my nutritionist said to use.

I have purchased those supplements at www.wholesupplementstore.com and www.bodybuilding.com. They are available at many others as well - just google. I think that the above two may be more reasonable - I would expect to pay about $28.00 for 12. You may also check these for chewable vitamins. I have to take 2 Multivitamins, 1 B complex and 2 Calcium supplements per day. I may need to take a Fiber chewable as well. I imagine that all doctor's offices are different, but the above supplements are required by my doctor and nutritionist. I've looked at the bariatric websites and the products there are quite high.

I was concerned with all the Vitamins but then, generally all I am eating during the day is Protein - 90 percent protein, 10 percent complex carbs. I am losing the weight fairly quickly.

Lots of luck.

I was Clear Liquids for 3 days

Full liquids through week two

Puree foods for one week

Mushies for one week (anything you can mush with a fork, like the Beans and hummus)

Then regular lifetime eating plan

Of course they said if tolerated, and that there was no reason to rush to the next stage if things didn't go down good.........I got a little creative but never cheated....... Always follow your specific doctors orders.