Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Women of Color and WLS-New Social Group

Hi ladies , I created a social group for women of color (African, African American, Latina, etc) to discuss the physical, emotional, and cultural impact of weight loss surgery.

Let's talk about everything that we really want to ask -like how is wls viewed in the black community? or Is it really true what they say about black women and loose skin?

Please join so that we can create a forum

Holla back!

Hello,

I am a black female, age 60 this year and I would like to know what is said about black women and loose skin. I dont have a problem with

anything but my arms. My hips and stomach are okay (and that was where all of my excess weight was located, ) dont even need a girdle, but my upper underarms are loose, so I just dont wear

sleeveless dresses or blouses.

Good Morning All.. I'm a 41 year old black female. I would love to join this group and think it is a wonderful idea. I have not had my surgery yet, still under my six month supervised diet which is required by my insurance company. I will be done in September... only two months.

I also have wondered about the loose skin after the weight loss and also hair loss. I saw on one post where people have problems with Hair loss

I look forward to getting to know everybody and also finding the support that I know I will need

Hi ladies , I created a social group for women of color (African, African American, Latina, etc) to discuss the physical, emotional, and cultural impact of weight loss surgery.

Let's talk about everything that we really want to ask -like how is wls viewed in the black community? or Is it really true what they say about black women and loose skin?

Please join so that we can create a forum

Holla back!

Hi

My name is Rachel and I 'm interested in becoming involved in the social group. Please give me more info on this. I will be having my band on july 10th :thumbup:

will this be a separate site altogether? I hope so and i wouldnt really mind participating. Personally i dont mind just having a thread for this which would discuss the social issues. otherwise why separate ourselves from everyone else. if it aint broke dont fix it. we all pretty much have the same issues regardless of race. do tell...i have never heard anything about black women specifically and loose skin.

Hi,

I am a 30 yr old african american and was banded on 11/27/07 and have lost 75lbs. I would also like to know about the loose skin cause my most problem is my arms, my stomach is not tight but i had 2 c sections with a 9 pd baby being the last one but all in all it is not as bad as some i have seen and I still wear sleeveless. I am happy you started this thread sometimes it is good to have that sisterly support thing.

OK Girls,

Loose Skin? Haven't you heard? My momma always said, "black don't crack!" lol

Seriously, at my seminar someone asked the Dr. about loose skin and he said that black women do a lot better. He said our skin seems to be more resilient and will generally mold to our new bodies very well.--Holla

I am so pleased at the response to this thread!

I got this idea after lurking and posting on this site for months. I really like the technical information that you can find here. Obesity Help has an African American Forum but I never post-just lurk. I can't really get into some of the drama that goes on there but I love the bond that they seem to have.

So, I decided to create a social group here that could be a combination of technical info. and bonding.

I'll post how to join in a new reply

I just sent an invite to everyone who posted prior to this one. Once you all join I will create a forum:thumbup:

The Girlfriends forum can then be accessed from the main lapbandtalk page on the left menu side under social groups.

Edited by Apple8<)

Please don't view this group as segregation ( I actually thought about how that might be perceived). It is actually more special interest.

I agree, everyone on this site has the same struggle. But, this site also has forums for people that have other things in common besides their band. There are groups for diabetics, people over 50, people banded in December, you name it.

So please, this endeavor has good intentions. I also still post to the other forums as well-for example the Alabama group.

My soul needed this! So I had to follow my heart.

HI 2B I just sent you an invite or you can go to the lap band home page scroll down the left menu to social groups click on there and look for Girlfriends

Edited by Apple8<)

Please don't view this group as segregation ( I actually thought about how that might be perceived). It is actually more special interest.

I agree, everyone on this site has the same struggle. But, this site also has forums for people that have other things in common besides their band. There are groups for diabetics, people over 50, people banded in December, you name it.

So please, this endeavor has good intentions. I also still post to the other forums as well-for example the Alabama group.

My soul needed this! So I had to follow my heart.

thanx for explaining and i now understand what you're saying. will check it out.

:tt1:

Hi,

I am a 30 yr old african american and was banded on 11/27/07 and have lost 75lbs. I would also like to know about the loose skin cause my most problem is my arms, my stomach is not tight but i had 2 c sections with a 9 pd baby being the last one but all in all it is not as bad as some i have seen and I still wear sleeveless. I am happy you started this thread sometimes it is good to have that sisterly support thing.

OMG I'm so glad I found this board. I've been so anxious about loose skin and losing my hair. I'm a 29 yr old african americanand I was banded on 6/16/08. I've lost 26lbs since the surgery, but I don't quite feel or see a difference yet :tt1: I long to wear a sleeveless top and some pumps...LOL!! Ziahmama how did you lose 75lbs so quickly? What did you do for exercise. I pray that my arms look normal after the weight comes off and I hope that I don't have the loose skin. I'm so excited about this board..