Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Terrified of PBing and being stuck...

Hi,

I was banded on 6/23. I'm about to start mushies, which I'm very excited for (because for the last few days I've been pretty hungry) but I'm preoccupied with the idea of PBing. I haven't vomited in a really long time anyway, and while I'm prepared to do what I can to avoid it, it sounds like something I'm gonna have to deal with at some point. I guess I'm just looking for reassurance that I won't choke to death or something. :o Any words of comfort, advice would be greatly appreciated.

Sheila

Hi Sheila. As long as you go very slow and cautious, you should be fine on mushies. Probably at some point during your banded life, you'll have to deal with PB'ing.....but that's to be expected as you discover and explore what types of foods you can eat (when you finally are able to eat solids). PB'ing certainly isn't pleasant, but it's not as bad as regular vomiting (IMO, anyway). Hope this helps. Good luck!

I was banded 6/20 and have been doing great on the mushies diet. I think as long as you eat very slowly, with small bites, chewing your bites until there is nothing left to chew, and taking time between bites you should be fine. From what I heard, these are the key steps in preventing PBing.

Sheila,

I'm sorry you're experiencing so much anxiety over this. I've met a few folks who have never had a PB -- as long as you take things slow, you should be ok.

Also, from what I gather you do get a bit of a warning sign if you are going to PB. (The sliming/tightness in the chest feeling.) So, like vomiting, you'll have clues it's happening and you can get yourself to a place where you can feel safe.

xoxo

Hi Sheila!

Congrats on being banded :o Welcome to the club!

Anyway, about PBing, it's not nearly as bad as you've heard. Go slowly when testing out new foods, remember to chew a lot, and don't drink while you're eating. I think not drinking while eating is the most important factor because my most violent PB's (which still were nothing compared to actual vomiting) have been directly caused by that. You will deal with PBing at some point in time, but you won't choke to death! Good luck and be careful!

hi sheila i was banded on the 23rd as well! (still on yogurt/pureed food) i had a horrible time on saturday while making my kiddies dinner i ate some cucumber with out thinking about it as i swallowed it it dawned on me what i had done, i discovered what sliming was and the chest pain was terrible, but it taught me that i used to eat without thinking and that i will have to chew alot. i saw my doctor today and he laughed when i told him, he thought it was funny i was feally the guilt over a piece of cucumber and not a donut!!!!. never again will i swallow my food without chewing properly i've learnt my lesson!

:thumbup:Hello Sheila,

A PB is not like vomiting. You just cough it up in the toilet and some slime comes out. It doesn't taste yucky, because it hasn't been through the stomach yet. One trick, if your food feels stuck, but doesn't really hurt, have some hot tea or Decaf coffee. Some people take these papaya pills to break up the food. They are chewable and taste yummy. When you have real restriction, on the morning your stomach can make funny noises when you drink.

Anyway, everybody is different,some people never PB.

Bella.

I'm almost 4 months in, and I've not experienced it yet. I am careful to chew chew chew, take small bites, and eat slowly. Hopefully I will never experience it, but if I do, it's a msall price to pay for weight loss in my opinion. I hope it's as easy for you as it's been for me so far!

Thanks for all your encouragement! I'm sure I'm building this up to be worse than it actually is, as I am wont to do sometimes. But it really helps to hear everyone's experiences and supportive words. I'll keep you updated. :thumbup:

Sheila, I'm with you. I worry about it too. I eat too fast and don't usually chew well enough. It dawned on me a couple of months ago that I sometimes INHALE my food so fast that I'm barely chewing. Practically swallowing the bite whole!

I'm really working on slowing down and taking a break between bites. Still haven't gotten to the chew til liquid though but I'm working on getting there. Tonight after class I stopped to get some food to go and as I'm driving on the freeway home, I took a big bite and swallowed too soon. Almost got stuck! I'm talking to myself in the car and saying, "Oh boy, that would've been a major "I'm stuck" situation! You'd better pay more attention!" Scared me!

There are times, in the past, often and currently, not so often, that I can feel the bite going very slowly down and that scares me for after surgery. If I'm almost getting stuck before surgery, oh boy am I in trouble after surgery!! :eek:

Hang in there and try to practice eating like a bandster. I gotta work harder at it. I'm not so good at practicing! :thumbup:

I just had my first fill and I just started eating bread again. The bread surprisingly has done down great, but it's the fruit cocktail that always seems to make me feel like it's stuck in my throat. I'm not sure if that's the same stuck as everybody else, nothing comes up, but it won't go down either. I stop eating and just sit there and after about 5 mins or so it goes away, but when I start eating again, I get the same feeling. It's very uncomfortable. I am just afaird of PBing at work, I work in front of A LOT of people and I can't just run off and spit up if I need to. I have to be very careful about what I eat at work.