Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Who's Getting Banded in August???

Good luck for tomorrow band buddy!!

It will be over soon and then it really begins!! :wink2:

Best wishes Roheryn...It's finely your turn!:crying:

Well, Folks, I am now banded.I spent the night in the hospital and agree, one night there for pain control is a good idea. I spent the first 2 days saying to myself, "I just did WHAT to myself?" :crying:

But have no true regrets.

I was on Clear Liquids for 48 hrs post op and did fine. On Saturday, I tried skim milk in the morning and then some SF pudding in the afternoon---NOT GOOD. I had tight pain and diarrhea. I am very frustrated.....I need to crush my meds (all 12 of them) and take with a little "something", SF pudding was recommended. Now I cannot take the meds with anything----I keep gagging and wretching and I am sure that is not good for the band or my stomach.

I put myself back on clear liquids for a couple of days and might try again later. Anyone else have problems with dairy products?

Congratulations to all the August All Stars! Keep up the good work, keep posting (it is very comforting to read them all) and lose that weight!:wink2:

Irish, doesn't your doctor require clear liquids for the first week? I think there are reasons for that, including prevention of vomiting and diarrhea. Your body has been through a lot. I would check with your surgeon and/or dietician to make sure. Or refer back to your paperwork you were given that specifies dietary guidelines.

I know it's hard. My problem is eating too fast....considering all I get is basically liquid right now. And I need to learn to keep it at half a cup or I get a pain in my chest like someone stuck a dagger in my lung and I can't take a breath.

Congratulations and good luck!

Good luck for tomorrow band buddy!!

It will be over soon and then it really begins!! :thumbup:

Hi Roheryn!

Heading off to the hospital now! Good Luck to you too! Can't wait to be banded, I'll check back when I am up to it and let y'all know how I am doing.

:thumbup:

Hi all,

I was reading some of the posts from August (not all - wow this is a long thread) and just wanted to say hooray to us all for getting a new lease on life. I was banded on August 19 so I am a week out and so grateful. I'm working a bit now on how many liquids to consume (keeping my Protein counts in check) and I found out yesterday that I had an infection and had been taking anti-nausea meds more than I needed to, but I'm feeling more comfortable this week, that is good!

Slept primarily on my side last night - very good! My mom and helper is going home tomorrow and other than not wanting to clean (never do) I feel ready.

Go August bandsters!

Hi All!

Got my approval today! What a wonderful feeling! Now we are definitely a go for Thursday 8/28 banding! I am so excited! I broke down and cried when I got the news!

20 years of being overweight and yo-yo dieting is over! Now to begin the rest of my healthy life!

Thank you all for your support! I am SOOO looking forward to Thursday!

Hi guys got banded Aug 19th I also had a hiatal hernia. Still have pain can't wait to go on solid foods.

Just Me

Bertha

It must be common. I had that too. Never knew I had it but looking back it makes sense...now that it is fixed maybe I won't want to throw up in yoga!!! Just the thought of that is exciting.

Had my surgery at 7:30AM and it went well. I also had a hiatal hernia. I'm feeling OK now, getting better as the day goes on. It just felt tight in my upper torso from the gas. I was nauseous as I came around, but thankfully the meds eliminated that. I was surprised that I was hungry when I woke up! I am excited to have some pureed food tomorrow. My doctor only requires one day of clear liquids, but I will try to take it easy. Oddly enough, I have some pains in my neck. Not gas pains, more like I was laying weird maybe? But overall, I feel fine, just a little uncomfortable. Now I can't wait for the weight loss part to start kicking in. Yippeeeeeeeeeeeee!;)

Irish, doesn't your doctor require clear liquids for the first week? I think there are reasons for that, including prevention of vomiting and diarrhea. Your body has been through a lot. I would check with your surgeon and/or dietician to make sure. Or refer back to your paperwork you were given that specifies dietary guidelines.

I know it's hard. My problem is eating too fast....considering all I get is basically liquid right now. And I need to learn to keep it at half a cup or I get a pain in my chest like someone stuck a dagger in my lung and I can't take a breath.

Congratulations and good luck!

Vegas,

I had clear liquids for 48 hrs post op and then was supposed to start with thinned cream of wheat, skim milk products, SF pudding. I put myself back on clear liquids for a couple of days after trying the milk and having so many problems. Last night I got so hungry that I drank part of a Campbell's Cream of chicken (the single serving, drink from a can variety). I am feeling much better today. I even had some coffee with soy milk. I can see using soy milk for things like coffee and thinning Soups but will sure miss drinking cold skim milk. And the number of products that contain milk, OGM! Just never had to worry about it before--another thing to learn and work around.

Wow - I think I'm pretty darn lucky... so far no problems at all... the swelling around the 2 most important incisions (port of course, and the highest one where the band was put in at the top of the stomach) are both a bit painful, and I still have a bit of gas pain in the left shoulder, but otherwise I feel pretty good! :crying: sleeping on both sides with the help of a body pillow and so far able to tolerate everything from skim milk to pudding, mini ravioli :unsure:(pureed) to oatmeal. I only had one sharp pain in the band from swallowing a med that might've tried to get through sideways :cursing:... but otherwise I'm in great shape. Back at work yesterday. Prayers going for everyone having some struggles and everyone being banded today through the end of the month. BANDSTERS RULE!! :huh2:

Stace

Good luck to all those that are about to be banded! I hope everything goes well for you.

Today is Day 13 post-op. I have been doing great although I haven't lost that must weight since surgery. I've only lost about 5 lbs. since surgery and 19 altogether since the beginning of my liquid diet before surgery. But you know, I'm OK with that. I know that once I start on a more regular diet, I will probably start losing more.

This Friday I get to start moving from pureed food to soft foods. Examples that are on my list are: boiled or scrambled eggs, soft cheeses (mozzerella or swiss), rice or soft cooked noodles, baked or soft cooked potatoes, soft overcooked vegetables, canned fruit in natural juices, banana, toasted bread, crackers.

Does anyone have any other suggestions during this stage? What did you eat during the soft food stage?