Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have had four sinus surgeries and a hysteroscopy, all under general anesthesia. Anesthesiologists and doctors knew about it, and all they asked was that I didn't smoke while my wounds were healing because it can cause infections and delayed healing. They said if I couldn't quit, then cut down quite a bit, maybe a few a day.

My lap band doctor asked me to quit, so I have, reluctantly. His reasoning is that I am doing this to better my health, why not go all the way and finish making yourself healthy.

My boss has been nagging me to quit smoking (he's a former smoker) and he said they would not do the lap band (or any voluntary surgery) on a smoker. He said they'd make me quit and wait two months.

I think he's yanking my chain.

Is there any truth to this?

No he is not pulling your chain....this is elective surgery and no one will touch you as long as your smoking. They will go as far as taking nicotine levels to check up on you...so do yourself and quit. When I smoked many many years ago I looked at it like this....I will have to quit some day, either by choice or not by choice. It will catch you....:lol:

It IS considered ELECTIVE surgery. So many doctors & insurances have stricter guidlines on it. Unlike a surgery that you might HAVE to have where they can't afford to play with your life to wait till your healthier.

While I cannot see where smoking can have any effect on the band whatsoever IT CAN have an effect on how fast you heal, or the % that YOU MIGHT have complications. Cause there are very well documented facts that come with smoking that CAN be of concern to the surgeon.

Smoking can reduce healing. Nicotine causes the blood vessels to constrict, retarding blood flow to the body. This can also cause the raising of blood pressure too.

The build up of the tar and everything else in a smokers lungs often means we dont have the same lung compacity that a non smoker has.

Therefore after surgery complication of pnumonia can be higher. Fluid buildup in the lungs after surgery is a COMMON problem that they normallly address after every surgery for smoker and non smoker alike.

This build up can also cause a smokers lungs to not be able to utilize the oxygen as well lowing the % Of oxygen in the blood stream which again retards/slows healing.

I am a 29 year hard & heavy smoker. And yea I have had nunmerous procedures in the past that smoking hasn't hurt. But I probably didn't recover as quickly as I could have. But I have decided that living past the age of 40 is something I am now going to strive for.

So one of the things to go is smoking. I know it's gonna be a challange. And it won't be easy. But dangit my health is worth it. Any day now I gotta go pick my first batch of Patches (Ins wont cover chantix, Waiting on the dr to call em in to pharmacy) And start on that adventure.

While not all surgons will insist you stop smoking, many of them will. And honestly they have good reason to. While I know that many like to place the blame on 90% of health problems on smoking they do have some valid reasons for doing so.

It all boils down to the fact that smoking does nothing good for our bodies, and if your serious enough to consider surgery for weight loss for your health continuing smoking just don't make alot of sense(at least not to me). Why do something so drastic as elective surgery to improve one area and then refuse to continue to keep improving your health?

Ideally, doctors and anesthesia providers would ask you to quit for at least 2 months and closer to 6 months prior to elective surgery. However, we all realize that this isn't realistic for everyone. You should know that you get the most benefit for reducing complications related to anesthesia if you have quit smoking 8 weeks (2 months) prior to your anesthesia. What you do beyond that is really a discussion for you and your surgeon and anesthesia provider, but whatever you do, be sure you are honest about your smoking. It really impacts how your anesthesia care is provided and can really make a difference in how you do. They know what to expect better if they know you've smoked in the last month, or week, or 24 hours, rather than lying about it. Recent smoking can make your airway more reactive, more difficult to intubate, can make you more prone to bronchospasm and laryngospasm, and can alter your oxygenation capabilities, among other things.

As far as the band itself, as others have said the only real effect would be on your wound healing post op.

Even if my doc doesn't require me to quit smoking..... you guys have made some super excellent points. 1) I should quit for my own good, even if the doc doesn't require me to quit... because of the recovery and the risks (sure I need to do it for my health, but honestly I wasn't going to quit until a little bit before DH and I start trying to concieve in a couple of years). 2) If I am willing to have voluntary surgery to better the health of my body, it is stupid to keep smoking because that kindof contradicts the whole "get healthy" thing.

This is going to be hard as hell.... but well worth it. I talked to DH last night and because he's a college student he's pretty much not on board for quitting with me. Luckily he doesn't usually smoke at home unless either I ask him to come outside with me or we're out drinking.

But honestly if it's either smoke or eat something bad, I'll light up. I'm definately quitting pre op, but I can't guarantee I'll continue to not smoke post op. I'll stop until I'm all healed, but after that I can't promise myself to continue to not smoke. I might change my mind but right now I can't imagine giving up both smoking and food at the same time.

Thanks everyone for your input. My last cig will be this Sunday... at least for now and maybe forever.

My surgeon asks that you try to quit smoking 2 wks prior to surgery and REQUIRES you don't smoke at all 2 days prior to surgery. I smoke, and I'm trying to quit...and it's not easy, but I figure my health is worth it.

I know if I can quit for 2wks, I can quit forever. I'm down to almost nothing now, it's putting the last few cigs down that's killing me. I know that I need to start slowing down now, or those two weeks pre-op are going to do me in.

Stay strong! We can do this! (can I just say, I WISH I NEVER STARTED SMOKING!!!)

Yes, like every other doctor a smoker sees, my surgeon told me that I need to quit but he never threatened to withhold the surgery. I smoked right up until 9:00 PM the night before surgery, the rules are no eating drinking or smoking after midnight and I adhered to them. I had no anethesia problems.

I also had hernia repair which caused extra pain and breathing issues...And no, the breathing problems I am talking about were not from smoking--my lungs felt fine but I just didn't have the strength in my diaphragm to pull in very much air it was confirmed that this was due to the hiatal hernia repair. This problem lasted about four days and honestly I didn't even think about a cigarette for the first three days post-op(which is was truly amazing for me), between recovering from lap band surgery and handling the hiatal hernia repair issues...I just suddenly realized on day 3 that I hadn't had a cigarette since before surgery. On day 5 I could have physically smoked and certainly considered it but I realized that if you can quit for 3 days (something I have NEVER been able to do before) then you have kicked the chemical addiction and just have the habit part to kick. I decided that I had never made it this far and I would be a fool to back step at that point.

I am happy to say that after 20 years of smoking between 1/2 to 1 pack a day, I have been nicotene free for one month and three Days!

Jodi 620, good job on not going back to smoking. I haven't smoked in 2 days. Its totally a habit for me which begins with my a.m. coffee. I just don't go sit where I use to smoke now. I am also on Chantix which helps. I was suppose to quit on day 7 and I was down to maybe 2-3 a day but it took me to day 10 or 14 to actually stop. This is the 2nd attempt so wish me luck.

Julie,

I truly do wish you luck, I know how hard it is. I still can't believe that I have made it this far...I've never made it past 1 or 2 days prior to this. My trigger points were after meals and in the evening when all of my work was done. It got easier every day and I rarely even give it a thought now...except when something really stressful happens or when I see/smell it but even that is getting so much easier.

I am so very proud of myself and that keeps me going...you will be too.

I've slowly noticed the benefits of quitting--my lungs are already amazingly clearer which makes the air seem so much more refreshing, I got rid of the phlegmy feeling in my throat, my hair smells better, I sleep better, I don't have to plan everything around getting cigarettes and smoking them and I am saving money.

Good Luck...and if you need support, I'm here for you, just PM me.

Thanks Jodi. How long have you been banded now and how are you doing? I've been banded 2 years and I'm down roughly 70 lbs with 20 more to goal.

Wow, that's great Julie!

I had my surgery 32 days ago. I lost 13 pounds pre-op, 9 pounds post-op and the scale has not moved since I went on solids (I am happy just to not gain in this stage!). I get my first fill on July 17th...

I was told he wanted you to quit 3 months before surgery - well my 1st visit was 5/31 and surgery on 7/17 - so no 3 month period in between consultation and actual surgery - I had lung test heart test - I did quit for 10 days put was smoking again right before surgery - heck asking me to give up food and cigs at the same time - cruel & unusual punishment..

I told the anesthesiologist that I had cheated and smoked the night before - they still operated on me - and again pple quit before surgery and go back after -

The boards hate smokers more than the hate obesity - it's just another addiction that pple don't understand the alcoholic (obese) person thinks their habit is not as bad as a druggies (smoker) - reformed smoker can be the worst..

This is a load question - you need to ck with your doctor - not the board..

There are still a few smokers among us... We just don't advertize :)

IndioGirl55! As always it is a joy to hear your posts! I have been very worried, because I quit smoking in March 2006, and haven't really craved a cigarette. However, since being banded I started craving one and finally broke and bought a pack. I started off with just one every few days, and now I smoke about 3 a day. I actually had just made a post asking a question about this on another thread on here.

I have heard stories of band erosion and stomach ulceration, but have not found any confirmed literature. I work in a hospital, and have even read the CareNotes there that mention nothing about it. I am sure it is detrimental in some way (what that we enjoy isn't?); but I don't feel bad in any way.

My theory is, as is how we treat most patients, that if you are eating without problem, not vomiting, still having bowel movements and urination, and no pain ~ your body is functioning properly. Don't know how good of a theory it is, but I'm sticking to it!!

Hope you are well, and I hope you never leave this forum!

Jason

Yes, like every other doctor a smoker sees, my surgeon told me that I need to quit but he never threatened to withhold the surgery. I smoked right up until 9:00 PM the night before surgery, the rules are no eating drinking or smoking after midnight and I adhered to them. I had no anethesia problems.

I also had hernia repair which caused extra pain and breathing issues...And no, the breathing problems I am talking about were not from smoking--my lungs felt fine but I just didn't have the strength in my diaphragm to pull in very much air it was confirmed that this was due to the hiatal hernia repair. This problem lasted about four days and honestly I didn't even think about a cigarette for the first three days post-op(which is was truly amazing for me), between recovering from lap band surgery and handling the hiatal hernia repair issues...I just suddenly realized on day 3 that I hadn't had a cigarette since before surgery. On day 5 I could have physically smoked and certainly considered it but I realized that if you can quit for 3 days (something I have NEVER been able to do before) then you have kicked the chemical addiction and just have the habit part to kick. I decided that I had never made it this far and I would be a fool to back step at that point.

I am happy to say that after 20 years of smoking between 1/2 to 1 pack a day, I have been nicotene free for one month and three Days!

congratulations on your quitting smoking. The issue with smoking and this surgery has to do with the liability/risk a physician is taking with someone who is getting "elecftive" surgery. Most surgeons prefer not to add an additionalrisk of a smoker to the already risk of being obese. It is the patient who needs to decide that this is one more step towards being healthy. If someone is deciding to address obesity with something as radical as bariatric surgery it doesn't make sense that they would continue to smoke which is an even higher risk for other health problems. (vascular issues, respiratory issues and cancer). This is a big committment and it should be a healthy committment for a healthier lifestyle across the board. Which includes smoking cessation. I was a smoker 35 years ago and it was the best decision I ever made to quit. Congratulations on an excellent choice towards a healthier you.

Yes, smoking is evil, especially to those who used to smoke. Yes, it will kill us all slowly, and we should quit for our health. That aside, my doc had no issue with it. I'm sure plenty do, and I totally understand that. Same as any other demographic, some accept, some dont. Now, the people who do my fills, did make the strong recommendation to quit for the following reason. Mucus. Everyone has mucus buildup in your stomach when you sleep. It's much more for smokers. With the restriction you get from the band, it will take longer each day for that mucus to dissolve, or whatever it does. I know most people with the band are tighter in the morning hours, and with increased mucus build up, it could take longer until you are able to comfortably eat during the day. Personally, I dont eat until after 2pm. Some days I can eat before then, others I cant. I didnt like the crap shoot of knowing if something would go down, so I picked a time that had consistently worked for me. I can drink anytime of the day just fine, and have my Protein shake in the morning.

Just something to consider along with all the other input on the smoking/nonsmoking debate for lap banders. I'm not a doc, or a trained medical professional, but what the fill nurses said about the mucus makes sense.

Tina