Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

July Butterflies Master Thread

Boos - I know it's hard and sometimes downright discouraging, especially when you're on a long plateau.

You are right though, you do have to make the right food choices. High cal, low nutrition slider foods will defeat the band. I know this may be difficult, but if you would go on a less than 5 gram carb diet for a few days, it might help you kick the craving for the high carb foods with the added bonus that most low carb foods are not slider foods so it will also help with satiety. You may also want to try the 5 Day Pouch Test (avoid the high carb options) to help you break the weight loss plateau:

Surgical Weight Loss 5 Day Pouch Test

Click on the link above and it will take you to the website with the menus, recipes, etc. I've done it a couple of times and have lost approx. 3 lbs each time but the real bonus was that it helped me get back on track.

I would also suggest exercise. I myself have not gotten back into the exercise habit since my knee injury late last Fall, but I've been promising myself that I will do it and you know what, starting next Monday, I will. How about you join me and report on here how many minutes you exercised and what you did? I'll do the same.

Edited by Donna113

Hi Boos, I can sympathize with you because I am going thru the same thing right now. Donna is right about the 5 day pouch test. In fact, I started on it today and have stuck to it really well all day. I know it has only been 1 full day but I truly feel re-energized and am looking forward to tomorrow again. One day at a time. Hang in there and stay in contact because the encouragement I have gotten on this thread alone is helping me get back on track. Thanks everyone! Jenhay

hey boos, hang in there.. the fact that the band is 90% me and 10% the band is why I got this done in the first place. I watched both of my parents have the bypass and not learn how to eat right and change the way they live and as a result still have problems.. and still struggle with weight..

I wanted this to be a lifestyle change and the band was just the tool I needed to finally make it work.. to stick with it.. because no matter how many plateaus I hit I can still do something about it.. and that something will work.. if I say I am not making the right food choices and not losing.. then I cant complain that I am not losing.. BUT when I do make the right food choices and watch my calorie intake I can be proud of the pound or even half pound I lost that week.

I look at this lap band like a gift I have been given. not every overweight person has this tool to be able to actually "try" and suceed.

thats what this band has been for me.. I know.. that no matter how bad a week might feel.. or if I am struggling to squeeze the pounds off.. or if I have to be more self disciplined to do it.. I dont get discouraged.. because I am not going back to where I was before.. helpless and defeated with no options. yes I may have to work.. but man the sweet taste of victory when it works. :( you can do this!! it takes time to get the band adjusted to the right spot. some say even up to 8 months or so.

in other news:

3rd and much needed fill today.. its hard to tell where I am at.. the doc kinda scared me because I could feel him tightening me and I felt like UGGGG and he says "do you wanna be really tight?" and I said "well dont kill me".. and then he took a little out.. so I am thinking am I where I need to be or am I gonna need to come back in a week??!! :) well heres to hoping. sweet spot here I come!!

I love how Dr. Tran does my fills: He checks the Fluid level then has me sip cold Water as he adds the saline. I give him feedback re whether it is sliding right through, sitting there, or pausing and then going down. I really get some say about how tight do I want to be. (Answer, as loose as possible while getting the job done.) Fill number four is wonderful so far, one week out.

I love how Dr. Tran does my fills: He checks the Fluid level then has me sip cold Water as he adds the saline. I give him feedback re whether it is sliding right through, sitting there, or pausing and then going down. I really get some say about how tight do I want to be. (Answer, as loose as possible while getting the job done.) Fill number four is wonderful so far, one week out.

orea- I agree.. as loose as possible while getting the job done!! my doc does ours in front of the flouroscopy and we have to drink thick nasty barium while he adjusts us.. but I like that he can see the speed of which its traveling because then he knows how tight I really am. He is the more aggressive doc.. and I just heard this horror story of being too filled..so when he said to me you want to be really tight? I was like whoa! and then when he was asking me he had pulled some out and I just couldnt tell where I was at. I dont like that.., because then you think well maybe? or maybe not? and its like you dont remember what it felt like to begin with.. it just messed with my head! :)

we will see.. I am anxious to start solids to see whats up. :(

glad to see you are getting some results and relief from hunger. keep it up girl!

shrinknme - what the heck is that in your profile pic? For the longest time I thought it was a sheep but now I can't figure out what it is.

I think maybe it's her daughter bent over in a too too

shrinknme - what the heck is that in your profile pic? For the longest time I thought it was a sheep but now I can't figure out what it is.
I think maybe it's her daughter bent over in a too too

Haha! Kimaly wins the prize!! its my daughter's bum.. she was bent over wearing a tutu! :)

Hi Penny,

I have also not told everyone that I had this procedure bc of negativity and expectations....don't want to fail again!

I was banded on 27 Aug 08 and just had my fourth fill last week - feeling so much restriction that I now KNOW what restriction is. I have definately had to stop eating solids because of all the gas and then today I actually started PBing - first time in 4months....I am feeling that I prob need a reduction?!

I was eating salads and most foods a week ago and now its labor intensive to drink Water - ugh!~

I am down 30lbs since band surg though.

just looking for some people to be supportive with.

I want one of those cute trackers...how do they work?

CHER

Edited by TheCHERF
trying to add tracker

Boos - I know it's hard and sometimes downright discouraging, especially when you're on a long plateau.

You are right though, you do have to make the right food choices. High cal, low nutrition slider foods will defeat the band. I know this may be difficult, but if you would go on a less than 5 gram carb diet for a few days, it might help you kick the craving for the high carb foods with the added bonus that most low carb foods are not slider foods so it will also help with satiety. You may also want to try the 5 Day Pouch Test (avoid the high carb options) to help you break the weight loss plateau:

Surgical Weight Loss 5 Day Pouch Test

Click on the link above and it will take you to the website with the menus, recipes, etc. I've done it a couple of times and have lost approx. 3 lbs each time but the real bonus was that it helped me get back on track.

I would also suggest exercise. I myself have not gotten back into the exercise habit since my knee injury late last Fall, but I've been promising myself that I will do it and you know what, starting next Monday, I will. How about you join me and report on here how many minutes you exercised and what you did? I'll do the same.

Thank you so much Donna for all of your wisdom...you have helped me today to really understand the pouch test and great examples for foods (*proteins).

I am one month behind you (August 27, 08) in the bandit-lifestyle so I hope to be able to stay focused and move ahead as you have.

CHER

ps...I need a ticker tracker - how do I get it to post with my posts?

Hi Penny,

I have also not told everyone that I had this procedure bc of negativity and expectations....don't want to fail again!

I was banded on 27 Aug 08 and just had my fourth fill last week - feeling so much restriction that I now KNOW what restriction is. I have definately had to stop eating solids because of all the gas and then today I actually started PBing - first time in 4months....I am feeling that I prob need a reduction?!

I was eating salads and most foods a week ago and now its labor intensive to drink Water - ugh!~

I am down 30lbs since band surg though.

just looking for some people to be supportive with.

I want one of those cute trackers...how do they work?

CHER

I am glad you finally have restriction, unfortunately, you sound way too tight. Please see about getting a slight unfill before you begin to eat slider foods, or worse, start to pb more and swell.

As for the tracker, click on mine and it should take you to the website. Choose your stuff and create your ticker. At the end it will give you some codes. Copy the first one (i think) at the bottom for forums. Then go to the edit signature part of your profile and paste it in the section where you can type stuff. Hit preview signature and it should show up at the top. If it is correct, then save it. Hopefully this helps.

Hi all, Got on the scales and lost 2 lbs this week. Also seem to feel a little tighter since I started the pouch test. Is that also one of the benefits or is it my imagination? Jenhay

I ws banded in July and read all of the stuff around christmas and renewed my enthusiasm and lost 10 lbs... feeling good and just eating low cal... yogurt for Breakfast as it helps with digestions and my cr. (woodhead) says your stomach is small in am..... egg and toast for lunch and protien only for supper.. I have a 7 cm band with 5.5 fill.....

I ws banded in July and read all of the stuff around christmas and renewed my enthusiasm and lost 10 lbs... feeling good and just eating low cal... yogurt for breakfast as it helps with digestions and my cr. (woodhead) says your stomach is small in am..... egg and toast for lunch and protien only for supper.. I have a 7 cm band with 5.5 fill.....

No veggies??? No fruit? I get constipated just thinking about that!

But seriously, I feel much better when I eat my veggies.

I have a hard time with eggs and any type of bread product. The things I miss the most are sandwiches and pizza. I mourn for them, but I am certainly happier with weight loss and if I have to continue to mourn the loss I will.

At my last fill which is always done under fluoro, my PA said my pouch had enlarged a little. Of course I freaked, and she said it was nothing to worry about and on a scale of 1-10 with 10 the largest, it was a 2. I told her I had been PBing still trying to find some Protein I could eat besides fish. She said to go on liquids for 2 days and eat really small meals after that ( 1 cup at the most) and she would check it again at the end of the month. Has anyone experienced this yet? What did you do and did it work? Wendy said if it didn't revert she could do a complete unfill for a month or more. This idea scares me to death as I picture uncontrollable eating and weight gain. Help!