Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is Too Much Fill - a Problem?

I had three fills so far: first was 1cc, then 1.25cc, which both did nothing for me.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

<o:p> </o:p>

This week, I went to the doctor and he filled me up to 5cc which I couldn’t breathe, seriously, so he unfilled me and left 4cc. So, right now I can drink only small sips of Water however, whatever I eat (even a yogurt) comes up (sorry for the graphics) which I don’t mind since I lost 6lbs in one week, which to me is great since I did not lose an ounce for the last five weeks.<o:p></o:p>

Anyway, my question is as follows: should I go for an un-fill, will the band wear-out if the food keeps coming up or I can keep it the way it is until I feel I need some food?<o:p></o:p>

Thanks in advance.<o:p></o:p>

The problem isn't about the band wearing out. If you are too tight you run several risks: severe reflux resulting in damaged esophagus, ulcers, and band slippage, not to mention poor nutrition. Too tight is not good. Don't be led astray by phenomenal weight loss; you are risking some significant health problems, and often the weight loss slows down anyway because you are unable to eat the proper Protein solids. Better to lose weight slowly and stay healthy.

By the way, I had acid reflux for years before being banded, and now have a condition called Barrett's esophagus, which means the cells in my esophagus have mutated to try to protect themselves from the constant exposure to stomach acid. The condition can be precancerous, and I have to go in for an upper g.i. endoscopy periodically to make sure I have not developed esophageal cancer. This is not something you want to fool with!

YES, it's a problem, and YES go get it unfilled enough so you can keep nourishment down! What you are doing by allowing this overfill to continue can be very dangerous to your body and it also sets you up to resist weight loss in the future because your body will go into starvation mode on that little nutrition and hoard everything you happen to give it for nourishment. To loose weight you need to eat like any other dieting person, that is 800 to 1000 calories a day. You still have to exercise and diet with the lap band, it just helps you not binge and over-do it. But get yourself unfilled down a little before you kill off your esophagus and worse!!

This was my problem, I ate right, ok, did not exercise, and did not lose anything for six weeks, I'm on Isopure right now so i get my nutrition, but I will definitely go next week (I have an appointment then) and get an un-fill.

Thanks terrasmom.

Best of luck to you honey. I know it's very difficult at first, but you will cross that finish line eventually and all of this will be a vague memory then. You just don't want it to cost you your health in the process. Weight loss of 3 pounds a week is about average (which annoys me horribly) but there you have it. I still have to watch what I eat and eat salads and make a small effort at exercising and then it all goes much better. The exercising seems to make the weight fly downward. I only do 20 minutes on a stationary bicycle every two or three days, or I get into the pool and swim a little, but even then I loose twice as much if I make that small effort than I do if I don't do it. You hang in there. I am so relieved to know you'll get unfilled enuf to eat at a normal level. Congrats!!

You are just too nice, terrasmom. You see, for me not to be able to eat is a cause for celebration! <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

I'm happy to be on liquids as long as I lose weight. I had my surgery in April and lost only 9lbs since (10 weeks) this is why I was so excited when that happened. Obviously you're right and I’ll definitely go get the un-fill next week (one more week wont hurt, right?). Exercise is kind a difficult since I work F/T + I'm in school F/T however I will try to go, maybe weekends.<o:p></o:p>

Again, thanks for all of you for being so caring and you can definitely read and feel it between the lines...<o:p></o:p>

You can up your exercise a little by parking at the far end of the lot, taking the elevator instead of stairs etc.

The band is not about starvation. Seems like those of us who are fat struggle to find a healthy relationship with food, sometimes.

YES! Too tight is a problem. Take it from a long-time bandster. Remember, you want to keep the band for the long haul. When the band is too tight, it opens you up to a whole host of problems. Slippage. Acid Reflux. Erosion. If you are throwing up, unable to keep down solid foods, then you are too tight and risk damaging the very system that you worked and prayed so hard to get.

The truth is, with the band properly adjusted, you should be able to eat small amounts of solid food, feel full and loose weight on a regular basis. For any weight loss to be healthy and long-lasting, it is important to continue eating a moderate amount of nutrition and calories.

Please... see your doctor and insist that they work with you until you hit your sweet spot.

Lots of light to you!

Last Tuesday I got my 3rd fill & I had 4cc in a 10cc band. I lost 7lbs in the last 6 days which was awesome, but I started feeling lightheaded & dizzy cuz I couldnt keep anything but liquids down. I gave in today & had 1 cc removed. My doc really let me have it for not coming back on Thurs or Fri when I knew I couldnt move to mushies like I was supposed to. I told him I was out of town & he said it didnt matter, I shoulda called him & he coulda got me in w/ a doc in the town I was visiting. He said liquids are too many empty calories & not enough nutrition & I was risking losing my band or having serious esophageal complications if I couldnt move to mushy & solids like I was supposed to. He did an ultrasound which showed major inflamation in my esophagus even though I only vomited about 4 times in the last 5 days (only 1 time a day when I would try to move on to mushies from liquids.) So I am now back to the 2 days liquids to get the inflamation down & then move to mushy on Wed, & if I cant move on then I have to come back right away. He also said this has now slowed down my fill schedule since I let it go too long. It isnt worth risking your band over the scale moving, eventually the scale will move as its supposed to (slowly) and it will be the correct and healthy way. Too fast is too dangerous. Please dont wait another week, call your doc TODAY!!

I had three fills so far: first was 1cc, then 1.25cc, which both did nothing for me.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

This week, I went to the doctor and he filled me up to 5cc which I couldn’t breathe, seriously, so he unfilled me and left 4cc. So, right now I can drink only small sips of Water however, whatever I eat (even a yogurt) comes up (sorry for the graphics) which I don’t mind since I lost 6lbs in one week, which to me is great since I did not lose an ounce for the last five weeks.<o:p></o:p>

Anyway, my question is as follows: should I go for an un-fill, will the band wear-out if the food keeps coming up or I can keep it the way it is until I feel I need some food?<o:p></o:p>

Thanks in advance.<o:p></o:p>

have been also following a string about swellling and blockage. u may want to check this out as same symptom different causes.

salt intake causes swelling. also the act of throwing up itself cause some swelling . new fill causes swelling.

point of all ths is swelling is bad. throat and stomach need a rest. so if too much fill then needs to be reduced beforeu get into the cycle of selling ,throwing up, swelling throwing up etc.

From experience I can tell you that the past 3 weeks I went in had a fill from 1.8cc to 2.2 cc then I still didn't fill restriction so he gave me a 2.7cc well not good i couldn't even hold fliuds down and had the worst hick ups so 2 days later I went back in and had lost 7lbs but thought i was going to die. So the doctor had to tak it all out. Like my doctor says I should not fill tortured only restricted so you know your body if you fill its too much of a fill go back because the ER told me your kidneys and other organs can start shutting down if you don't get the right fluids and or food.< /p>

I must be a rare case, I am completely filled in my band and have no restriction. I had a fluro done a few months ago and I'm not dialated. Any suggestions? I still have to lose about 40-50 lbs.