Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Couch to 5k.....come join me!!

I finished week 3 today. YAY! It felt great to be able to finish and remembering a week ago thinking "how am I ever going to run 3 minutes straight". I did it. I didn't die. Now for week 4!

Ok, now I have to whine. The YMCA I go to is only open from 12 to 6 on Sundays so I wasn't able to go today. They have no child watch on Sunday and I had no one to watch my girls. My hubby said I could go when the girls went to bed (he just had back surgery on Thursday and cant lift over 10 pounds!) So I had to run outside! *gasp!!!* I had stupid bee's buzzing around my head the whole time. The roads out here where I live are all gravel and that crap is hard to jog on! I also live in an area that is very heavily wooded. I was sure a critter was gonna come strolling out to eat me up! But I did it! I made myself do it!

Georgia - Congrats on the weightloss this week! Great job!

Renewed - You are amazing! I am totally impressed that you moved on to week 4. Awesome job.

Kathybad - congrats on the blood sugar! I think that would keep me going on this program all on it's own!

Bonnie - I usually have at least 1 day off during the week. It's not like I don't get some exercise though. I just don't get my heart rate up and keep it up. I like to take my girls outside and pull them around in the wagon. That's fun and a little bit of exercise.

WTG Renewed! You'll be running that 5K before you know it! I'm invisioning you (as I type) running across the finish line in slow motion and hearing the Rocky music, and of course the arms in the air, lol! Too funny! I can't wait until I run my first 5K!

Mamato3~ WTG! Good for you! Y'all are giving me hope that I'll one day get there too....

Edited by georgia girl

way to go Mamato!!! I have thought about trying to run outside, but no. When I can run a 5k I will have to transition to outdoors, but i am going to wait for now.

Georgia, You are too funny. I should post the pic DH took of me crossing the finish line at the 5k I ran/walked in May. It was far from a Rocky moment. the song was more like "I will Survive". I thought I was going to die.. I will be much more prepared next time thanks to all of you and the C25K.

OK, can't believe I am posting these pics. They are less than attractive. I have lost quite a few more pounds since then. Anyway, here I am before the 5K and crossing the finish line. No Rocky song, but next time I guarantee you I will be singing!!!

jpg.gif

jpg.gif

post-225179-13813137353492_thumb.jpg

post-225179-1381313735379_thumb.jpg

Great pics Renewed! I can tell you were working hard to cross that finish line, and that's all that counts!

I can not for the life of me get the Rocky song out of my head now. I've been humming it since you mentioned it, lol. Be sure to take pictures of the next one too.

Renewed - Great job!!! I know that was a major accomplishment.

I just finished WK3 Day 1. I am really enjoying this. I see such improvements from week to week. Day to day for that matter. I could never imagine myself as a runner. I am not sure that I have earned that title yet, but I think I will earn it one day.

For those of you who run outside. How many people run on a track?

I run on my little one lane country road. But I seem to hit that blooming hill on a running interval. Boy does it kick my butt. I think next week I am going to have to hit the track. 5 minutes on my road might put me 6 feet under.

Happy running!!!

Phew!!! I just caught up with all your posts!!!!

Georgia : Good job on the weight loss!!!!! Running will increase you weight loss..I been sitting in the same 5 lbs bracket for a while and i am sooooo hoping to break out of it. Once i see 259 on the scale ill be super happy..:crying:

Renewed: YES! you are in trouble for not taking a rest day! What were you thinking! LOL! Just so much excitement! Dont worry about transistioning to outside either. Youll be fine. I LOVED you pictures!!!!!! So cute!! and you look like your trying hard!!! just Awesome!!!!

Well i had cycled all weekend. Decided not to use the Car! so i cycled to lunch, cycled to the store...cycle to church even..Woot!

But i hadnt run since Thursday. So i got my daughter to drive me out 6 miles from the house and i ran home Sunday eve along Lake Michigan. Took me 1hr 10mins but it felt good. I didnt push it and didnt interval train.

10k or 6.2 miles is close to my limit right now. My legs a little sore this morning. Ill do about 3 5k's for the rest of the week then next weekend i might try a 7 or 8 miler.

You KEEP IT UP...I LOVE READING YOUR PROGRESS!!!!!!!!!

Treadmill, roads, track...it doesnt really matter just keep going.

Last night i stuffed a small towel in my pocket and wiped myself with it every mile...helped alot keep sweat out of my eyes.

Guest Leslie2Lose

Well - I didn't get started on Friday like I'd hoped and this past weekend was hellacious - I had a dozen kids at my house and only two were mine. I feel like I got a workout keeping up with them. My house has officially become the hangout of the neighborhood. We're out of food too - lol...which is a good thing. All the junk is gone.

Today is my 1st official day. I have a buddy that is starting with me today as well. Wish me luck (believe me I'll need it). The only thing that made me run in the past was a pitbull that chased me when I was 12...boy I flew!

Leslie - I hope all went well with your first run today. I am glad you have a buddy to run with. My son was supposed to run with me, but he is a pre-teen that will not get out of bed in the morning to go with me when it is cooler. I know what you mean about having not run in awhile. I do not think I have run since high school gym when they made us run.

Renewed - great pictures! You are already a step ahead of most of us since you have already finished a 5K! You are such a motivation to me. I can't wait to cross the finish line for the first time.

Leslie - Good luck on your first run! It is so exciting to finish that first day. Actually it is exciting when you finish every time. And what a cool mom you are... not many moms would allow their home to be the kids weekend hangout!

Whosya - wow you have become an exercise fanatic! That's so awesome! That's a good idea having someone drop you off a few miles from home. I'm gonna have to try that one!

As for me... I am DEFINATELY taking a rest day today! I'm pooped. The most I might do is go out for a walk later. Only a WALK though. hahah

Guest Leslie2Lose

Thanks Sugarbean! I don't know if we are going to hit the track (it is supposed to be over 100 degrees today) or if we're hitting the treadmills. Personally - today I prefer airconditioning.

My high school gym teacher didn't care if we ran or walked, as long as we got around the track. I was a walker myself...we did have to run onto the football field when I was in the HS band. It was our signature trademark. Personally, I felt like an idiot. LOL

Thanks mamato3. I'm looking forward to my jog/run. The kids range from ages 5-12. It's not that bad actually, they are good kids. My neighbor sbehind me have five kids and they are going through a nasty divorce. Two asked if they could eat dinner with me Sat and then another came over when they heard I had food. I don't think they know if they are coming or going.

I'm going to the beach this coming weekend - whoohoo - kid break! LOL

Edited by Leslie2Lose

Kathy, DDR = Dance Dance Revolution. ... Its so much fun!!!

Thanks Bonnie... I'm so un-dance-coordinated, so probably not for me! :frown: But you dance your heart out!!!

I finished week 3 today. YAY! It felt great to be able to finish and remembering a week ago thinking "how am I ever going to run 3 minutes straight". I did it. I didn't die. Now for week 4!

Kathybad - congrats on the blood sugar! I think that would keep me going on this program all on it's own!

Mama... way to go on!!! If I had to run in your scary, isolated conditions, I'd probably still be sitting on the couch. I'm such a chicken... I guess I've watched too many scary movies! Good luck with week 4... you can conquor that one too! :eek:

Renewed... love the pictures. We are always more critical of ourselves than others are... all I see is determination and accomplishment, and a bit of exhaustion!!! :crying: Just think how the next 5k pictures will look... Rocky music anyone!!

I just finished WK3 Day 1. I am really enjoying this. I see such improvements from week to week. Day to day for that matter. I could never imagine myself as a runner. I am not sure that I have earned that title yet, but I think I will earn it one day.

Sugar, I think as long as we're continuing on this program we are considered "runners"... ok, did I mention I have a distorted sense of reality!! No seriously, we will all be runners... especially is Whosya has anything to say about it!! Congrats on getting to Wk3

Well i had cycled all weekend. Decided not to use the Car! so i cycled to lunch, cycled to the store...cycle to church even..Woot!

Which do you like best... running, swiming or cycling? I know you love your triathalons, but which part agrees with you most? By the way... you are amazing! Keep at it and the weight will also come off.

Today is my 1st official day.

Good luck Leslie... you can do it.

Ok, I've just finished my lunch, and in a few minutes I'm going for my run... week 1 day 3!!! I'm so psyched, it feels great! Imagine that... wanting to run :smile:

Kathy: It is really hard to say which one i like most. They all have there own pleasures.

Running...I like the no nonsense if it. Its just me and the road..and it feel amazing to know i can run 6 miles. When i tell people i ran from this town to this town there mouth about drops.

Cycling...I like the speed here...just moving 25mph on a flat road and overtaking cars in traffic sometimes!

Swiming...this is relaxing and i can feel my shoulder and back muscles getting stronger and better defined...

Weight lifting....this is my least fav as i feel like its the biggest waste of time...but i know strong muscles burn more calories.

If your doing the C 25k program you ARE A RUNNER! so start calling yourself that.

Ok, whosya. I want to run again today. I don't want to lift weights or do my body sculpting dvd. This kids are napping and I want to run!! I have been exercising for a long time, so I didn't actually start from the couch. I used to run distances (long time ago). I ran 5 miles 4 days a week. (M-Th). i lifted weights on Friday and took Sat, Sun off. Obviously I can't run 5 miles right now, but would it really kill be to run today. I don't want to take a day off. I can't believe I feel this way, but I am starting to love running. It clears my mind. Such a feeling of accomplishment. So, if I really, really shouldn't then talk me out of it. Otherwise, I'm fixing to get back on the treadmill for my daily fix.

Ok, I tried this once before and got way to eager. I started moving quicker than designed. This time I will follow the guidelines.

:crying:

Ok, whosya. I want to run again today. I don't want to lift weights or do my body sculpting dvd. This kids are napping and I want to run!! I have been exercising for a long time, so I didn't actually start from the couch. I used to run distances (long time ago). I ran 5 miles 4 days a week. (M-Th). i lifted weights on Friday and took Sat, Sun off. Obviously I can't run 5 miles right now, but would it really kill be to run today. I don't want to take a day off. I can't believe I feel this way, but I am starting to love running. It clears my mind. Such a feeling of accomplishment. So, if I really, really shouldn't then talk me out of it. Otherwise, I'm fixing to get back on the treadmill for my daily fix.

Ok Renewed... just wanted to remind you of your first post to this thread... take your own advice. If I remember correctly you are in week 4, which is about 3 or 5 minutes of running. I know you are already working out, but running can easily cause injury when you don't have the bone and muscle density you need... in the places you need! At least wait until you've done the 20 minute run successfully. And remember... take your own advice. I'm not an expert, but I believe Whosya would give you the same advice!