Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Couch to 5k.....come join me!!

last time I moved ahead quickly. I did weeks 1 - 3 in 1 week. i know that was completely crazy. I am not wanting to progress past week 4 early. I just want to run today. More week 4. I know I probably shouldn't.

Thanks Whosya for your perspective on what you like about each type of exercise. I love to swim, just don't get to go very often. When I was a teenager... eons ago! I was a competitive swimmer and won city champ for individual relay, backstroke and butterfly. I have (had??) very strong legs, so could power through most strokes, and butterfly is a difficult stroke to master so I didn't have a lot of competition. My only downfall was breast stroke, which required a bit of grace and stronger arms. My coach used to say that a rock could swim faster breast stroke than me... I agree!

I like strength training a bit, but don't really do it very well or often. I know I should, and probably will start that soon. I have some hand weights, exercise ball and bands that I use at home. We used to have a gym membership, but it became too difficult to get there with the kids in tow. They had babysitting, but not skilled enough for our 2.

Well, I did it... Day 3, week 1!!! I am so proud of myself... and the runner's high is just kicking in (1 hour later). I really enjoyed the feeling today while running. I didn't hit a wall at all, so I think I'm ready to move onto week 2.

Its funny how working really hard at this program makes you stick to your healthy eating habits the rest of the time! I've been tracking my food now for 10 days on thedailyplate, and notice I'm making some great choices. Trying to make sure I have a good balance, enough calories, enough Fiber, etc. In the past, I'd log in maybe 2 or 3 days in a row, then lose interest. Now its dare I say, an obsession!!! Kind of like running :crying:.

last time I moved ahead quickly. I did weeks 1 - 3 in 1 week. i know that was completely crazy. I am not wanting to progress past week 4 early. I just want to run today. More week 4. I know I probably shouldn't.

If you do... please listen to your body, and rest tomorrow if you need it. We want you to succeed, so will offer our advice. But we'll be here to support you whatever you choose to do!!! Good luck!

RENEWED!!!

Remember when you said you ran right through your cool down in week 3?? Well today was my day one week 3 and I was walking when I heard the cool down chime...I was like WTH??? Aren't we usually running when we hear the cool down chime??? I think I may have skipped a run but i don't know how I could have done that! I am gonna look at the chart to see what the times are and try to figure out what I did wrong. My miles where exactly the same when I finished today as they were when I did week two 1.63...thats with walking at 3.0 and running at 4.0.

The runs were long...but not as bad as I had anticpated.

Thanks Kathy. I know you are just trying to take care of me. I am thinking that it might be ok to run more than 3 days a week if I don't move ahead and if, like you said, I listen to my body and give myself a rest too. You are doing great!! Keep up the good work. You are right, exercising also helps me watch what I eat. As exercise increases it is soooo much more important. I am usually a low carb dieter, but have had to add good carbs in order to keep up with the running. I have added Kashi Cereal and today before my run I had oatmeal. I think adding the carbs is one of the reasons I have more energy and am looking forward to running. I have increased indurance.

Bonnie, you didn't do anything wrong. It does go from walking to cooldown. That's what threw me. I'm glad I'm not the only one.

Ok, I did run, and it felt really good. I will be careful!!

Guest Leslie2Lose

Okay - I'm off to the Gym for my first session. I'll let ya'll know if I'm alive later tonight - LOL

Ok, I did run, and it felt really good. I will be careful!!

Ok i am going to let you off this one time! And its only because i looked at your picture gallery and thought you were cute. But next time....i might nto be so nice lol!

Seriously you doing great!!! Your b4 and after pics look awesome so far!

Keep it up!

Good luck Leslie!!

btw..........i am not much of an expert!

Guest Leslie2Lose

OMG - I thought I was going to die...but, I lived! I have never sweated so much in my life...I look like I was caught in the rain...lol...I turn red too when I workout or get overexerted. I look like a drowned umpalumpka.

I feel so good though. My workout partner actually sweated - she usually doesn't. I'm looking forward to Wednesday!

WTG Leslie! That first run was the hardest for me...

Well, I did day one of week one again this evening. I am completely pooped. It was a little strange....it felt harder than it did on Saturday. I've been on the go all day today and I don't think I ate enough. I did eat a few triscuits about an hour before my run but I just ran out of fuel today. I did it though! I struggled on the last interval a little but I made it through.

Keep up the good work everyone!!

Renewed~ You are turning into a running machine!! You go!!

Whosya - Okay, Okay, I am a RUNNER. And I am actually enjoying it. :unsure: I am looking forward to Wednesday morning. WK3 Day 2. BTW, I would have to get one of those big grandma padded bike seats if I were going to be a serious cyclist. :eek:

Leslie - You are on your way!

Edited by SugarBean

Way to go Leslie and Georgia. I have noticed that what I eat plays a MAJOR role in how my run goes. Since adding some good carbs I fell so much better. I just hope I continue to lose pounds too. Today I ate oatmeal before I ran. It was hard, but I am really starting to enjoy it.

Whosya, Thanks so much. A guy (except DH of course) hasn't called me cute since I don't know when. When I read your post I hollered to DH, "Hey, this guy on lapbandtalk says I'm cute". He said, "Well yeah, because you are". Awwwwwww. Anyway, you are OUR expert. No pressure. You have lead the way. We really do trust your insight and opinions. I just might have to run everyday though. I am really loving it. Maybe I will add biking so I'm not running EVERYDAY. I have a stationary bike collecting dust.

I will have to pay more attention to the chime..from the podrunner chart I SHOULD be running for 3 minutes immediately before cooldown...if I am looking the chart right?!?!

WEEK 3

25 minutes from 130 to 140 BPM

BPM CHART:

5-minute warmup @ 130 BPM-walk

90 seconds @ 140 BPM-run

90 seconds @ 130 BPM=walk

3 minutes @ 140 BPM-run

3 minutes @ 130 BPM-walk

90 seconds @ 140 BPM-run

90 seconds @ 130 BPM-walk

3 minutes @ 140 BPM-run

4-minute 10-second cooldown @ 130 BPM=walk

Unless I can't hear it either, I don't think the week 3 podrunner follows that. I got the cool down tones after the walking as well, shich I thought strange. That's why I ended up running the cooldown. Where did you find the list. I am just pleasantly or unpleasantly surprised with the length of each run..........

I tend to do better when I eat a small amount every 2-3 hours. I am probably going to have to start doing that again. I hadn't thought about eating oatmeal before running. I may try that Wednesday.