Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Couch to 5k.....come join me!!

Luluc, Size 4!! You go girl.

Kathy, Way to go on the weight loss.

We jsut got back from our little weekend away. I ran outside while we were there. I LOVED running outside, but the resort we were at is VERY hilly. I only ran for 33 minutes and had to walk a couple of times during that. After we got through DH and I drove to see how far. Only 2.2 miles. YUCK. DH told me that I should be very proud. He said that I tried to go from a treadmill to prfessional runner grade hills. LOL. He is so funny, but it was VERY hilly.. Even when going downhill it was really steep and my feet seemed to slam on the pavement. Well, today my legs are sore and I have shin splints. I don't remember when I was sore last, so I must have exerted myslef even if only for 2.2 miles. I HAVE GOT TO RUN OUTSIDE MORE!!

Hope everyone is having a great weekend!!

Amy

I agree running outside is the best. It really makes it go by fast and it is so invigorating. (spelling)

Of course the shin spints are from the angle of foot to the ground on the inclines of those hills. It is just working the muscles at a different degree. That is a good thing. Your body is saying, "What the Hell!"

Kathy I love your mothers advise. I plan to take advantage of the linolium tonight!!!

Once again; sorry Whosya!

wow thanks for all the inside info there.

I ran about 5 miles yesterday and today i cycled about 33 miles..oooooo my butt...but boy did i look fast cycling in that cheerleader suit.

I can't compare with Whosya,

but I ran 1.5 miles in 20 minutes. I know that isn't great, but it was an all time record for me. I burned 250 calories in 20 minutes.

I also ran the correct way. No tippy toes! Guess what, my toe doesn't hurt. Who knew!!!!! To be honest, it was the best I felt running too.

Another thing; I never use to sweat. Seriously, I would never ever sweat. Of course, I realize now; I was completely dehydrated. I also never drank Water. Now that I have to drink water for the lapband and I am running; I sweat like a pig!!!! (do pigs really sweat; or do they just smell like they sweat) I am sure you all could care less if I sweat or not, if I run on my toes, or if I dye my hair.< /p>

But, I have a new thought for us. (there is a surprise)

I think I am going to go low carb. I lost 40 pound doing this once before and I am wondering how it would work with the lapband, low carb and running. I noticed Renewed, you are doing it too. Is anyone else interested? I have been hanging at 172-174 for a couple of weeks; I want in the 160's so bad.

OK, I have tortured you enough for tonight. A sense a hot bath in my near future.

Hello everyone,

It's been about a week since I've been able to login. Just getting back to normal since hurricane Gustav, and finally got cable reconnected today to use the internet. All is well. I couldn't remember my c25k cycle of how long I ran and walked so I went back to week 4. I ran outside and it was quite pleasant. I don't think I was running as fast as I would have been on the treadmill but the distance was definately there. Last week I sort or got off of the low carb diet but tomorrow is a new day and I'm gonna start again without beating myself up too bad.

uggggh... I just finished writing my post and hit "backspace" and it erased! Ok, so now I'll try again! gerrr!

Whosya... Ok that's a sight I wish I had seen! You cycling in your cheerleading body suit! What colour did you choose??? LOL

Tootie... I'm so glad you made it home and all is ok! I couldn't imagine having to evacuate from my home!

Lynn... Actually I don't think pigs sweat... or is that Rhinos??? Anyhow, keep sweating baby, you're doing good work! Yeah for your toes!!! As for low carb... Renewed and Georgia follow a low carb plan and shared their typical day in posts about 4 pages back. I've thought about it, but not sure yet if I'm going to. Good luck!

Renewed... glad to hear your getaway was good! Yeah for running outside! I mapped a route that avoided hills... not sure if I'm ready for that yet, but congrats to you for doing them. Make sure you stretch out those legs good over the next few days to get rid of the splints.

I'm getting psyched up for my 25 min run today!! It's a lot cooler out today, so looking forward to the run!

Forgot to share this...

My DH has been taking my son out running a few nights a week. Remember, my son is intellectually challenged, so is kind of quirky at times and can freak out easily. DH usually initiates it and bribes him with a stop at Starbucks for a chocolate chip cookie afterwards... I know kind of defeats the purpose of the run, but my son is in no threat of being overweight right now! They usually run on a 1/4 mile track and run 1, walk 1/2... etc until they've run 3 laps.

My daughter (4 years old) sees me running and says she wants to come running with me. So on our way to church last night, my son says he wants to go running after church! So at 8pm last night, my DH and DS start running and my DD and I follow behind. The 4 of us out running at dusk... looked hillarious. My little girl ran/walked 3 laps! I kept stopping to get her to walk... but she didn't want to!

Then off to Starbucks... the kids shared a cookie and mom & dad had nothing!!!

Hello all - new to the thread and I was so happy to find it! I first heard about Couch to 5k on this site and now have several friends involved. I start week 4 tomorrow and I LOVE RUNNING!

I never thought I could actually run, but it's super invigorating. I do have a question for those of you who have been doing this longer. On the C25K, I'm doing my program 3 times a week (Tues, Thurs, Sat). And, I'm loosing weight at a good pace (2-3 pounds a week). But, I'm loosing it so fast, I'm getting a bit "flabby". Will it hurt my training for the 5k if I do some toning exercises on my "days off"? I'm thinking sit ups and leg lifts - nothing aerobic.

If you can share your thoughts or how you did, that would be AWESOME! Thanks!

hi aclubb - my wk is running 4 days with weight training 3. tsday/thurs while w/trainer half the time is running intervals outside to help me get ready for a 5k, the other half the time is weight training. i run an additonal 2 days, & 1 more day of weight training. i take off at least one day a wk to rest the body....welcome & good luck!!!

kathy that's a great story, your family getting into the running!!!

tootie, glad your getting back to normal after the storms!!!!

lyn, i don't do too well going low carb - but it's worth a shot. i think you have to shock the body, with your food & exercise...but that's my theory....i also sweat like pig,...BUCKETS - not attractive., lol

no running today, going to head out shortly and take a walk w/my neighbor. she had RNY 3yrs ago & has gained half of what she lost back & wants me to get her motivated to working out...who woulda thunk me hleping someone get into a groove...LOL:blink:

have a good day all,

ps - want pics of that cheeleading outfit!:thumbup:

aclubb... welcome! I'm active most days. I usually run every 2nd day and walk on the opposite days. I also do some strength training at home using free weights, bands and an exercise ball. I'm on week 6 of C25k, and once I'm up to 5k distance non-stop, I will probably run 4-5 days a week, varying the distance between 2.5k - 5k. Enjoy and let us know how you're doing.

Another one bites the dust!!! Week 6 Successfully FINISHED! I did my 25 min non-stop run! Funny thing is... I could have kept going!

I realize now that I don't really like intervals. My body likes to hit a groove and stay there. Longer, steady runs agree with my breathing, but run/walk segments mess me up!

BTW, I didn't run the 5k yesterday... it poured rain here all day so I chose not to run. Call me crazy but I don't want my first 5k run to be in the rain, especially if I know I won't be able to run the full distance anyways.

Ok, here's a question... Week 7 calls for 3 days at 25 min, which is the same as what I just did. Should I push myself and go onto week 8 which is 28 min... or should I continue doing the 25 min but work on improving my speed??? I'm inclined to go forward to week 8 to work on time first then when I finish week 10, start working on speed. Thoughts???

I went on to week 8 Kathy. I am like you, I like running distance better than interval. There is something about stopping and starting that breaks my momentum. My MIL just came and got the boys for the night. I am going to run outside when it cools off a little. DH will be home at 9:30 tonight. Maybe I will suprise him with a little "creativity" when he gets home. He and I all alone.....that never happens.

have a diff view on interval. twice wkly i'm outside with trainer dude - who for 30mins makes me do interval runs...fast jog/slow jog/fast walk....can't stand his whistle. by doing this, i find when i am in the the gym on the treadmill - i can run a WHOLE lot more on my own. i actually stop myself sometimes when looking at the mileage or time thinking there is no way i went this far this fast. sorta psych myself out and stop, when i atually could have done more.

running outside, lets my running inside go that much further., my lonely 2cents....

enjoy your evening renewed.

Renewed & Luluc, thanks for the advice. I think I'm going to push onto week 8, but as I continue to develop in my running, I'll be sure to add in some varied intervals to help drive me forward.

Enjoy Date Night Renewed!!!

I have not been doing intervals for about 3 weeks now. I do better when I run a set amount of time without stoppping. Interval was very helpful in the beginning though. I also like listening to my own music. i try to add 2-3 minutes in length each week. Works for me.

OK, I know you all think I am crazy, but I just had the most embarassing thing hapen to me! I have a new Iphone and just slide it down inside the outside pocket of my purse. Well anyway, I told you yesterday that my DH thinks I am just Hot hot hot!(whatever) Anyway, yesterday we were in the car and were talking kind of dirty (OK really dirty). Only to find out my phone was on and it went to my brothers voice mail and recorded the whole sorted details. My brother told me today. He said he didn't want to embarass me, but wanted to prevent it from happening to someone else. I can not look him in the face!!!!

Public sevice announcement: Make sure your phone is not on when having a private conversation!!