Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Couch to 5k.....come join me!!

Slinky, how did it go last night? Did you run? I'm too late to answer your question, but just as an FYI, I PBd last week and immediately ran afterward. I try to eat a small banana before I run (I'm hypoglycemic) and for some reason I have a tough time getting them down. Anyway, it didn't effect my run at all.

GA - I wish I was able to complain that I ONLY ran 2.83 miles! That's awesome! I don't enjoy the gym at all so I have a treadmill at home, but am anxious to run on the ground and see how it feels.

Mac - I'm embarassed to have to ask, but what are T/R/I? Is this running lingo that I should be learning?

I'm doing Week4 Day2 tonight. Anyone else here hypoglycemic? As I mentioned I have trouble getting my banana down and was wondering if/what you guys eat before working out?

The problem I get into with ANY amount of sugar, is I constantly crave it....even if it's just a little. When I do low carb, the first couple of days are rough. But after the sugar is out of my system, I'm fine.

Same here, I did really well the first several months after banding controlling the sugar and now it is controlling me again. Hence why I am giving up sweets/dessert for Lent.

They have a rule that if people are waiting, you can only do 20 minutes of cardio. While I understand that people don't like to wait, I was not ready to get off! I only ran 2.83 miles.

Wow, only 20 minutes?! I thought our 30 minute rule was crazy!

sorry to disappoint you suzanne, but no i did not run last nite. my tummy was really still cramping even after hubby got home late from work. at that point we both had to work on getting our daughter to take her antibiotic which was an hour long process. I did feel better a bit after she did, but it was so late by then to run and get all those endorphins, i was afraid i wouldnt get to sleep and still needed to have dinner, whole lots of problems in a nutshell. I told hubby and some of my chat freinds that i WILL RUN TODAY to make up for it, and since tomorrow is the next day i scheduled myself to run i may try that too. If nothing else, for the experience of doing it two days in a row. I think someone here mentioned running on successive days.

I didnt know the abbreviations McMadame used either, so please educate us McMadame...thx.

Im exhausted today, lots of work stress, but i can manage that since i dont have as much stress with the kiddos. I cant wait to run though. I know that will pick me up. I'm gonna do week one though for the comfort of it tonight then move on tomorrow or the next time i run. i want to do that but my nut backed up my feeling that i need the conditioning first. She gave me strict instructions to add in resistance training between now and my next appointment in a month, when i hope to get that fill if i need it.

I'm still interested in hearing about others' experiences with being stuck and running. I really like learning from you all!

Carol

Mac - I'm embarassed to have to ask, but what are T/R/I? Is this running lingo that I should be learning?

I don't know the real definitions either. But I think of "T" as "Talking" pace. So you are going easy and should be able to have a conversation.

R and I are higher. I think I stands for Intense. Well, that would make sense, woudn't it?

I've read the definitions before but they haven't sunk in. Basically when I'm told to do T pace, I do my normal pace. When I'm told to do anything else, I go faster than T.

Hey, it works for me. :thumbup:

Carol... I know I'm a little late in responding to your question. However, since I PB alot, and get stuck alot :thumbup:, I figure I'll give you my 2cents worth... Go for the run! I've only had 2 experiences where I had to stop running because of being irritated, and I've ran with an irritated throat/stomach numerous times. I decided a long time ago that I would start the run and if I didn't feel good, I'd stop. Its amazing how many times your head will try to convince you that you shouldn't, but when you don't listen and you actually try the run, you feel so much better afterwards.

BTW, I don't PB because I'm too tight or don't chew. I have an incredible gag reflex, always have, and certain foods will "tickle" my gag reflex and cause me to PB. Also, overly dry or starchy foods will often glum together for me and get stuck for hours. Very icky, but I live with it in order to get a variety of foods in. When I'm stressed, its 10x worse too! When I lost my job in the summer I lost all sorts of weight cause I just couldn't eat! LOL! Something good came out of that at least!

I'm struggling tonight. I don't feel like running. DH is going to go downstairs to run soon and I know that will motivate me to go when he's done. Thank goodness we both run... it really helps to keep us on track! I have to get in 7km by Sat to meet my 50k in Feb goal. I've kind of slacked off a bit this month, so at this point I don't have much slacking room left unless I plan a longer run. Plus, I'd rather beat the hell out of my goal instead of just meeting it.

Suzanne... I didn't know the lingo either :thumbup:. Thanks Mac for filling us in! I'm not hypoglycemic, but do try to eat before my runs cause I sometimes run out of steam if I don't have any nutrition in me. I think with the amount I eat in a meal, its not enough to sustain me through a long run. I will try to eat any one of the following about 10-20 min before my run:

• Yogurt
  • Cheesestring
  • All Bran Bites
  • Orange Juice
  • Milk

That usually works for me.

So, I thought my next race was going to be the Gate-to-Gate 4.4 mile run on Memorial Day, but I took the plunge and entered a 5K on Saturday. With my upcoming gallbladder surgery, we don't know 100% about the GtG anymore...blah.

I won't get to run today, since my dh has his AF PT test, so I'll run Friday morning. Between a short run Friday morning and the 5K, I should hit 40+ miles this month...the most I have ran so far.

thatDEgirl - RUNNER+

On My 19 Month Bandaversary... I hit a major milestone! I've now officially lost over 100 lbs!!!! When I started this journey I knew I had to, but really never thought I would. Well, today I have. I'm now at my lowest weight since University, which was 19 years ago! OMG I'm getting young again!!! LOL.

I also overcame my blahs last night and ran 2m fast. Felt good!!!

Ooh. Kathy's in the Century club!

I broke down and ordered another Nike+ They said it shipped yesterday so I should be back in the game by next week at the latest.

On My 19 Month Bandaversary... I hit a major milestone! I've now officially lost over 100 lbs!!!! When I started this journey I knew I had to, but really never thought I would. Well, today I have. I'm now at my lowest weight since University, which was 19 years ago! OMG I'm getting young again!!! LOL.

I also overcame my blahs last night and ran 2m fast. Felt good!!!

WTG Kathy!!!

Ohh I was so bad! I planned to run last night, but played hookey!! Instead, DH and I just curled up together and watched Survivor & House... I love my PVR!

Tonight for sure, as I need to get in the last 3km to meet my Feb goal. I want to get them in today so that I don't have to worry tomorrow. Tomorrow is DH & my 11th anniversary, so we have a family day planned - I know, not romantic, but we're celebrating 11 years as a family!

Mac - Thanks for the info!

Kathy - CONGRATS on the 100 pounds and thanks for the tips on eating before running.

Slinky - I'm late asking, but how did your runs go? Did you do two in a row? Did you start week 2?

Tonight is Week4 Day3 for me. I'm excited already.

I just signed up for my Race for the Cure 5K in May and I checked the box to get a timer chip. That made me nervous but will surely keep me focused as the next few weeks on the C25K roll by. I read where a lot of people drop out around 5 or 6 weeks. I'm determined not to do that.

The best news is that I finally moved the scale to a new low! Woot!

Edited by SuzanneG

Tomorrow is DH and my anniversary. He's been watching me with the Nike+ and mentioned he might get one eventually. So for his present, I got it for him!!! I also signed the two of us up for the 5k run on April 5. This is the 2nd largest run in London... gets about 1500 people at it. Should be fun.

Now we can do challenges together, and when I beat him in distance, I can officially gloat!!! LOL.