Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Couch to 5k.....come join me!!

I love being a useful engine! Yesterday I started the c25k program for real... And just today I spoke to a very old friend who's not banded but trying to take off a recent 25 or so lbs. And he was encouraged by me doing the my races and the program so he wanted the links to the podrunner series. then my sister in law was very impressed with my committment and she asked me to d/l it to her mp3 when she comes to visit in 3 wks. I sent my friend the links and he loaded it immediately. then I sent my s i l the program but she's not likely to do it on her own. She says she doesnt know how. lol

So, thanks again Kathy for the links - they're helping not just me but other ppl get healthy as well.

Whosya, thanks for your encouragement, and confidence in me. With what I wrote up above, even if i didnt run another step, I feel successful. I am committed (or should be - lol) to training even if it takes me a long time to do it. I plan to run a 5k, some day. No timeframe and no speed expectations to discourage me. I'll try to learn from each run just like u said. Even bad ones.

GA, Renewed, Lyn and everyone, thanks for all the great encouragement. I cant promise to never be down or not be hard on myself, but if I am, its because I'm a work in progress. And I now know I'm worth the progress. I use my mantra at least once every day. "Improvement is better than perfection."

Love y'all,

Carol

but haven't experienced that "runner's high" yet.

I just experienced it today for the first time. After 3 months of running and graduating from the Couch-to-5K program. For some of us, it's a slow process. :blushing:

I also did the 1st day of week three today. I repeated week 1. I may end up repeating week 3!! I'm trying not to get discouraged..but haven't experienced that "runner's high" yet. I'm just proud I've gotten this far and hope it gets easier. Reading this thread every day is honestly what has motivated me, and I thank you all!

Scalingdown... congrats on your runs so far. I got my first runners high around week 2 or so, and then sporadically throughout. I don't get it everytime... my DH does, so I'm jealouse! But when it happens, its amazing. You get all euphoric... Don't get discouraged! It is hard going for the first several weeks, and then you start to notice the real benefits, and thats what motivates me! However, I agree... the people here are my daily dose of inspiration!

I didn't know it until I saw your post on the nike+ site. When I joined, I clicked on "Hotties", so I don't know how that happened or how to fix it....

LOL... as long as you're a Hottie, nothing else matters!

Carol... I love reading your posts! They are filled with insights and make me think. It is amazing how people can affect others. I sent you those links, which helped you and hopefully a few others. But someone else sent them to me, and so on. Its the "6 Degress of Separation" all over again!

I'm having a tough day today. A migrane started yesterday afternoon and came on like a tonne of bricks. It totally wiped me out last night and I tossed and turned with the pain. Finally I was able to swallow some meds around 5:30am - nausious before that - and the pain has receeded a bit. But I'm home today as I don't think I could handle working. I had wanted to run today, but not sure what physical exercise would do to my migrane... might make it better, but might make it worse??

I used to get lots of headaches pre-banding, but they slowly receeded with the weight loss. But I still get a couple migranes each year. They are weather related. When the pressure suddenly goes up (or down... not sure which), then it happens. For me, when its grey skies and in a very short time it suddenly clears up and is beautiful outside, usually causes me to get one. Thankfully it doesn't happen often.

I did week 7 day 2 today and my feet hurt bad at about the 15 min mark then the pain just went away. According to the ipod I ran the whole thing at a 13 min/mile pace which is 1.5 minutes faster than my normal pace. I started listening to my own music choices and I believe thats the reason for the speed increase and possibly the foot pain.

A migrane started yesterday afternoon and came on like a tonne of bricks. It totally wiped me out last night and I tossed and turned with the pain. Finally I was able to swallow some meds around 5:30am - nausious before that - and the pain has receeded a bit. But I'm home today as I don't think I could handle working. I had wanted to run today, but not sure what physical exercise would do to my migrane... might make it better, but might make it worse??

I suffer from Migraines too. Weather, too much sugar, stress, not enough sleep can set them off. Or any combo.

I get about 2 a month. Normally i can manage them because i feel them coming on early. I know the signs and as long as i get meds quick enough i can catch it. The worst is when it comes at 4am and im too tight to take a pill. No liquid migrane medicine yet!

Weight lifting normally makes it worse but running actually helps sometimes. It feels like it clears it out. It depends how bad its got by the time i run.

Sorry you dont feel well Kathy.

And yes i have had tons of brain scans to make sure there is anything not normal in there.

Thanks Whosya! It helps to hear another's perspective. This one was one of my worst yet. But I'm feeling relatively good right now. I still have what I call "motion echo". Kind of a woosy throb in my head. When I exert myself, like picking up something, my head throbs, but when I walk from room to room it feels good. So I think I might get on the treadmill and just walk to see how it feels.

Usually, if I don't catch it within the first 1/2 hour or so, then meds don't help at all. That's what happened yesterday. I thought it was just a muscle kink in my neck, and didn't have anything to take at work. By the time I got home it was a full blown Migraine with nausia right away. I couldn't get or keep anything down last night. But when I took the meds this morning it did help a lot... even though I felt it melting in my throat, as it didn't pass through easily!

I haven't had anything checked out... no scans... haven't even told my Dr. about this. It doesn't happen very often, and my Dr is in Toronto (2h away) so I don't see him often and when I do, I usually have something else more pressing. My DH gets so mad at me for not following up with this... can't blame him... I probably havent as I'm a bit of a chicken!

Edited by Kathybad
more info to add

Ninner... good for you! Amazing how switching to your own music is so much more motivating than listening to that other stuff! I won't say congrats on the achy feet... but congrats on the reason! LOL.

Congrats Ninner! You're doing great!!

Sorry you're not feeling well Kathy. I used have them too. I had a brain scan and nothing abnormal showed up on mine. I think mine are allergy related. I rarely ever get them anymore. I surely don't miss them, lol. For me, laying down in complete darkness was the only thing that made it bearable. Hope you feel better soon!

We are moved....Well, sort of. I have internet back and will have to catch up on posts. headed back to the town we moved from to go to the post office, bank, etc. Oh the joys of moving! You guys are doing awsome. I will be back there with you REAL soon!!

Welcome back Renewed! Glad your move was successful. How's that treadmill doing??? LOL!

Well... I did go for a walk which turned into a run! I started out walking to see if it caused any issues with my Migraine. It didn't, so I started to run... and didn't stop for an hour! I ran 7.7 km. I was slower than usual, but it felt good, and my migraine is receeding even more! Yeah!!!

BTW... the Hotties are back on top!!

Good to hear from you Renewed!! I've missed your posts! Moving is a nightmare. Glad it's going well though.

Kathy....glad your headache is easing off! Congrats on your run too!

I did 5 miles again today. I did intervals (1 mile runs/ 0.5 mile walks). I like to switch it up pretty often. Doing this way was actually harder than doing a long straight run. I guess it's harder to get going again after stopping. Anyway, I'm feeling pretty good today.

Week 1 Day 2 done! feels good. and somewhat easier than day 1. so....progress. i get migranes too but my sinus headaches are worse than the migranes sometimes. Im affected by the weather too. Thanks Kathy once again. PPl used to look at me like i was nuts when i said when its nasty out and then clears i get a headache. i also get the floaters or auras as some ppl call them. the thing that looks like a piece of cellophane is being slowly crinkled right in front of my eyes from one side of my field of vision washing over to the other. thats triggered by changes in lighting frequently for me. and it can take about 45 mins to clear. sometimes more. anyway, i'll chat with y'all soon. great runs guys!

Carol

Hey Guys,

Week3 Day2 was GREAT! Every time I think I can't handle the next week, I surprise myself.

I'm sure I'm too new to the game to have a runner's high, but I did have runner's envy yesterday. When I was walking at lunchtime in my work clothes, a runner past me and my coworker and I instantly felt envy that he was in workout clothes and jogging! WTH? I thought that was cool and couldn't wait to get home so I could do my own run.

Only thing now is that I sure wish I could run on the ground. I'm nervous about how much harder the ground will be compared to the treadmill. I think I'm going to revert back a few weeks after I finish the program on the treadmill and head out to a local school to run the track and try to get the full 5k on the track before my two 5K races in May!

Hi Everyone!

We had an awesome weekend in NYC... I got up and went to the hotel gym on Sat and moved on to week 2. Originally I was nervous switching after just 2 days of week 1 but it went really well, I was def ready to move on. And it didn’t seem to have any effect on my singing later that day. Then I did day 2 yesterday (forgot my running gear on Tues, I was so mad!!). It was challenging but went OK. I had 3 great auditions and have already received an offer from one of them, yay!!! Plus, DH and I just had an awesome weekend. He took me to a restaurant that I had been dying to try in the Village. Funny thing, I hadn't even mentioned it but he did a search and found it and knew it was something I would love. Ha. He so *gets* me!!!!!

Ninner and those that do your own music... do you just keep time of walking/running intervals with your own watch? The Ulfrey (sp?) music does make me a little nuts and I know so many good pop /RB/hip hop songs that just make me want to run and run... I think next month I am going to get a nano to use just for working out. I have been told it's not ideal to run with the iPod 60 anyway... and I think I may give the nike running tool a try... does it only work with nike shoes or can you put the chip in other shoes?

Those of you that have the nike running tool, is it worth it?

Regarding training, do any of you ever run 2 days in a row or is it best to have a rest day in between?

Ninner how are your feet btw?

Anyhow, I feel I am making good progress. I do week 2 day 3 tomorrow and will see how I feel about moving to week 3 on Sunday.

Kathy and Whosya my heart goes out to you with the Migraines, I got them for years. There were times that I could start to feel them in my sleep as my body was waking up and at that point it’s almost too late for imitrex. In my case it was largely hormonal so when I stopped taking hormones (i.e. BC) the mostly stopped. But I also used to be so sensitive to weather shifts etc. Kathy, I hope you are feeling better, sending good thoughts. Whosya, you are on quite a tear!!!!!

Georgia are you feeling better too?

Renewed congrats on the move and new home, I am out of touch, did you move very far from where you were?

Slinky congrats on moving through week 1-you rock!!!

Suzanne I have had the same concerns about going between treadmill and road... as it turns out I have been mostly on the road. I actually think it's a little easier, but maybe that's just me. Not sure where you live (VA?) but hopefully with nicer weather coming you can get out and hit the streets!!

I am debating on signing up for my town’s 10K. It’s in about 6 weeks and I think that may be too much as I am just about to go into week 3 of the training. Is it bad to run part and walk part of those things? I am so frustrated I really wanted to be up to a 10K by then.

It’s rainy and yucky here in Beantown but it’s not a running day for me today… hopefully tomorrow is nicer!!

Thanks, as always, for everyone’s posts and support J

Beanie