Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Wish I did this sooner

Why did I wait so long to be banded??? I wish I did this a few years ago when I first started researching weight loss surgery more so I wish the band was around in the states when I was in my early 20s so that I could have lived my life then! I got weighed yesterday and so far I am down 70pounds and I know that without the band I would still be at 277 or higher. If you are reading this and are considering getting banded my advise to you would be "DO IT" run dont walk to your PCP to get the ball rolling! Being banded is not easy but honestly neither is being 277 pounds. You choose your own battles in life and I choose to battle/work with my band not my weight anymore. if you think you dont have the willpower to do this dont doubt yourself before you even try. I had horrible will power with dieting before getting my band but since I have been banded I feel like a new person. I dont have a fill so I probably have less restriction then most bandsters but that doesnt mean I eat the way I did before. my mindset has changed along with my body. I no longer get the cravings for fast food and chips like I did before. I still do eat chocolate and ice cream oocasionaly but not everyday and not in the quantities I did before. I feel like I value my life so much more know and think more about what I am eating because I am worth the effort.

Good luck to all off my fellow bandsters and those on the journey to a new you!!!

Hi Jetti,

Congratulations on your wonderful weight loss. Good lookin' picture, too! You spoke of willpower, which we have all struggled with. In the online magazine for this site, there is an article by Warren L. Huberman that is the best one I've ever read about willpower. Anyone lacking in it will enjoy this article, and I've printed it out and pasted it in my daily journal for when I'm struggling. I'd recommend it to anyone! Keep up the good work. You're going to hit your goal before long.

Glad you made mention of both options being a battle. It's not easy to be obese or worse. If I have to battle in ANY way, I at least want a positive outcome in the end. Staying morbidly obese is a lose - lose situation. For me it was a no brainer. Several years ago, my insurance did not cover WLS, and self pay was not an option. I was just delighted that they changed their policy and I was able to finally reap the benefits. Better late than never!!!!!

so, is it easier once you get a fill. I know jetti said that she doesn't have one but i don't think i can do it without the fill. I'm scheduled for my first fill on Monday. I hope it works

I dont have a fill but everyone is different regarding fills. Some people need a few to hit that sweet spot and some are good with none or one.

My father in law had the cutest saying.... I loved him, God rest his soul.

"If shoulds and coulds were durable goods, we would all have something to sell!"

I agree with you 100%. I cannot believe how powerful this lapband tool is. I don't recall EVER eating this small of amounts of food and being satisfied.

I am also very happy that I made the decision to do the lapband over the gastric bypass. The side effects for the lapband are so minimal compared to the gastric bypass.

There were times in my life when I was sick that I felt I was hungry. Others have told me they couldn't eat because they were sick (I cannot relate to this). In my support group that are in their 20's and 30's. I get tears in my eyes to know that they are so far ahead of this fight and they have their lives ahead of them to live differently and better.

I had my first fill today (it was painless by the way and took only a few minutes). I was banded on May 20, 2008. I have lost 26 pounds. I have lost two sizes. I bought a new dress and bathing suit in size 18. I cannot recall being this size in a very long time. I am delighted even if I do not lose another pound (although I think its in the cards that I will be losing more.)

ellendeette I get tears in my eyes just knowing that I still have so much life ahead of me and I am finally able to start really living it the way it should be lived. Between the ages of 18-22 I loved to go out dancing. I was still very insecure because I was heavy but dancing was a release for me but as the years went on and I got heavier I hated going out. I would get out of breath and my knees would hurt after 1 song. well a few months ago I started going out again and I can dance the night away just like I love!!! I have not been the weight I am now since I cant even remember when and I dont plan on stopping anytime soon.

I think the reason I didnt do WLS many years ago when I first heard about it was because back then it was just gastric bypass and even though that was the only option that I knew about I knew it was not the option for me. The band has been such a lifesaver for me and I know I would not be where I am today without it. I still have a ways to go but I feel confident with my band by my side that I will get to my goal and be able to stay there.