Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

People are just MISERABLE.

I was working my part time job today and had my very first experience with customers blatantly attempting to steal. I mean, I've found the empty containers that they've left behind after pocketing stuff (Henkel knives and even air freshener, for Pete's sake), but I've never seen someone just out-right LIE to the staff and try to steal.

This lady came in with her two daughters about half an hour or so before we closed. Didn't think much of it, just thought it was a little odd that they were just sitting in our little furniture section and not browsing or anything, but I was busy and didn't have time to pay closer attention. The most significant thing about them was that the kids were some of the most destructive brats we've had in.

Well, about 5 minutes before we closed, I noticed that she had one of my coworkers running ragged, trying to get stuff for her. A dining table from the back room, stools, felt pads, etc. They get up to the register, and my manager comes up to me. Apparently, the lady was trying to return a $300 Calphalon knife block set and get credit for it to buy the stuff she'd picked out, and he wanted to make sure that she hadn't just picked them up (usually, people try to return something as soon as they come in, or at least tell us that they will be returning something). I honestly hadn't noticed, I was too busy doing other stuff and hadn't paid much attention to her. So, we go look at the knives. What do we see? A nice hole in the knife block display. The chick hadn't even bothered to move the boxes around to make it look like the shelf was full.

To make matters worse, once she was found out, the lady then tried to pay with an expired credit card, then tried to get a store card (declined, not surprising). Then, of course, she said she didn't have her checkbook on her and left, leaving the dining table, stools, knife set, etc. at the register for me to put back for her.

I'm pretty sure she got away with at least one Yankee candle, though. Before I knew what she was doing, I'd filled several holes in our candle display, one of which was a candle that she'd failed to buy (and I don't think the ladies right behind her in line had candles).

People suck, Lauren.

Ooops...sorry...I guess I have to be more specific -

Some people suck, some of the time. This statement is not to include all people, as that may offend *some* people. Therefore, not ALL people suck, and all people do not suck ALL of the time.

Egads, I hope I didn't offend people who suck, or they'll be pissy and post and then I'll have to scream.

Ooh...I know! People who steal suck.

People who follow teenagers around stores because they just know they'll steal suck too.

(I've noticed this lately as my kids get older. I really hate the security guard breathing down my neck and following me around the store. Those dudes are seriously creepy.)

I have dealt with this before too. It is insane how blatant some people are! I worked at a large discount store (many years ago) and there were some people who we knew did this. One was so well known to steal stuff and then bring it back for a refund, but of course there are so many steps that we have to follow before we can stop them. We followed him so obviously, that he started sending girlfriends in to do his stealing for him.

Had another couple of ladies today that shoplifted. Or at least, I'm 99% sure they did. I saw them put some large Yankee candles in their shopping cart (they were acting a little skeevy, once I thought about it - shielding the cart, etc.), and then they left the store a few minutes later without buying anything. I know they didn't put the candles back on the shelf, and I'm reasonably sure that they didn't just drop them off in another section of the store (they didn't leave the housewares section and I was all over that part of the store afterwards). So, yeah. We're going to start putting sensors on the candles now. These two were a little better at it than the other lady was. They actually moved the candles on the shelf to make it look like nothing had been taken off of it.

In their defense, Yankee candles are friggin ridiculously priced.. Just sayin' :biggrin2:

You've updated your picture! You look great!

In their defense, Yankee candles are friggin ridiculously priced.. Just sayin' :biggrin2:

Yeah, the "Southern candles" are much more reasonably priced.....but that may be because they are simply a wick buried in a mason jar full of crisco. BTW, the appeal of bacon-scented candles cannot be underestimated.

Some people will try to steal anything! My husband is disabled and on the back of our car we have a wheelchair carrier. I have long red ribbon tied on to it so no one trips over it. (the only idiot who ever did was me!) I was at the grocery store and as I walked out I noticed a lady with three little kids standing by the back of my car. As I got closer I saw she was trying to untie the ribbon (it is dirty and frayed from blowing in the wind) I causally asked her what she was doing and she said her little boy loved the ribbon and wanted it!! I calmly said it is to make sure no one trips over the carrier. She laughed and kept trying to unknot it. That's when I yelled get away from my car NOW. She laughed some more. I yelled nice going teaching your kids to steal! She still didnt move. When I popped the trunk and pulled out my cell phone she looked at me and said sorry and walked away laughing. I must have stood there for 5 minutes in disbelief! Yes some people are are are well I just cant come up with a word to describe them!

Well, I said that as someone who is addicted to Buttercream and Mango & (something) Yankee candles. I can't believe how much I spend on them and they don't last that long!!!! But once I went Yankee I can't go back. Walmart candles don't smell the same anymore.

And thank you ladies!!

What the heck DI?? That's really...weird. If I was picking at someone's car (not that I would) and they walked up, I'd be emberassed and run off!!

Well, I said that as someone who is addicted to Buttercream and Mango & (something) Yankee candles. I can't believe how much I spend on them and they don't last that long!!!! But once I went Yankee I can't go back. Walmart candles don't smell the same anymore.

And thank you ladies!!

What the heck DI?? That's really...weird. If I was picking at someone's car (not that I would) and they walked up, I'd be emberassed and run off!!

Get thee to a Linens N Things, then! The Mango Peach Salsa is one of the scents on sale this month. 25% off!

And thank you ladies!!

I told my husband what happend and he asked why i didnt take a picture. I was in shock and never thought of it. I stood there a long time after trying to process what happened!

I'm at work now (where I keep my candles).. it's not mango, it's Mandarin Cranberries.. nom nom nom.