Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

suggestions regarding extra skin / running?

Hi- I've lost enough weight that when I try to run (aka jog very slowly) the movement of my heiny and thighs really hurts. A girdle seems like it would be hard to run in- anyone find any solutions that help??

Hi- I've lost enough weight that when I try to run (aka jog very slowly) the movement of my heiny and thighs really hurts. A girdle seems like it would be hard to run in- anyone find any solutions that help??

I run everyday wearing my Spanx like garments. Actually I think they are called Assets. I got them at Target and they are made by the same lady that created spanx...but I like them better and they are WAY cheaper. I have worn other ones that are "sturdier" and they do help the jiggle in the belly more, but I get nasty chaffing. Make sure that they are TIGHT on your thighs and that you have shorts or pants that cover the legs so that if your thighs do rub together that there isn't something that is going to rub your leg raw. There is a wonderful picture of my chaffing on my blog (addy in my signature).

As for being difficult to run in...I wouldn't know. I have terrible back pain from my extra skin so if I don't wear them, I am in more pain. Therefore ever since I have started exercising I have been wearing the support garments. One of the MANY reasons I am looking forward to my TT.

Good luck in finding something.

Good luck next Saturday!!! You can do it!!!

I finished my first Sprint Traithlone yesterday!!!!! The Band is a great tool I am using to change my life. It has changed yours as well! Congrats on your progress. Best of luck!

I was banded on May 22nd and yesterday started to jog a little. The problem is my weight of course. After losing 12 pounds my lower back no longer hurts. My next goal is to lose another 10 pounds in July so my hip joints won't hurt as bad. But my left knee is killing me! How do you all handle running? Doesn't your joints hurt you? How about the next day--aren't they throbbing?

I was banded on May 22nd and yesterday started to jog a little. The problem is my weight of course. After losing 12 pounds my lower back no longer hurts. My next goal is to lose another 10 pounds in July so my hip joints won't hurt as bad. But my left knee is killing me! How do you all handle running? Doesn't your joints hurt you? How about the next day--aren't they throbbing?

I didn't start running until I had lost over 50 pounds...probably closer to 60 pounds. If you knees are hurting, you probably need better shoes. The heavier you are the more crucial it is to have a GOOD pair of shoes. I found this out the hard way, but not with my knees, but rather with my foot. I had the worst case of tendonitis in my foot because I didn't have proper fitting shoes. I was in serious pain when I went to the running store to have the shoes fitted, and by the time I walked out of there in y new shoes...I had zero pain.

Also...don't run everyday. Especially when you first start. When I first started running I started out very slowly...like .1 miles. I only did this 3 days per week. I did something else other days. Then I would gradually increase my running. I have been training for the half-marathon for a long time. I didn't get to running 12 miles overnight.

Next...ice your legs. It will help with the pain. I am not good at this after short runs, but I always make sure to ice them after long runs. In reality you should ice them after EVERY run.

Finally....take short steps. It sounds weird, but when you are first starting to run and you are heavy, the smaller the step the less pressure and pounding you are putting on your knees. It really does help. You aren't in the air as long so there is not as much momentum when you land which helps reduce the amount of pounding on the knees.

Good luck with your journey...and remember...slow...slow...slow