Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

First day eating after First fill.

I had my first fill on Tuesday, May 17th. I have a 10cc band and was fileld to 2.5cc under fluoroscopy. It seemed tight, but liquids passed, which is the point.

This morning I had two Vitamins before I ate. I broke them in half to make it easier to take them. WOW it hurt. It felt like a tightness and pain, like heartburn. It was not to bad that I thought I was going to die, but it is also not somehting that I want to deal with every day.

In about 10 min. that subsided and I began to eat. I ate very small bites and chewed very well. The first bite introduced pressure and the subsequent bites broght on more pressure and slit pain. Not as bad as the Vitamins, but it certainly made eating unplesant. I finished, only eating about 1/4 of what I would have normally had.

For lunch It was about the same. Immediate pressure from eating the first bite and then mild pain from eating more. Now as I type this I have finish eating for about 15 min. I feel fullm but I have pressure where my band is.

I would just like to point out that I can drink without any problem, and when I was on liquids for the past 3 days, I was able to consume large amounts of liquids without incident.

What do you think?

Edited by myellen

sounds like the band is working. as long as you're not getting reflux at night and you're not PB'ing--you're doing ok. you're not hungry, are you??

I have not had any reflux problems or vomiting. I am not full, which I know is the point. My wife said that maybe its good that eating is unpleasent, but I would perfer not to hurt while doing it. I just hope that this is an adjustment process, and it will not be uncomfortable in the future.

Thanks for the reply. I didnt think that it was really a problem, I just wanted to know that someone else has the same issues as I do.

I am so glad you posted this, because i have been wondering how the fill will make you feel....i am only on my 2nd week post op and i don't even feel like i have a band on, and i don't want to know but i want to feel full, cause right now i don't feel full. I hope the pain is just for a couple of days and not for a long period because i am not to good with pain

My pre-op diet was very strict. I was only eating 1000 calories or less for a month and a half. I was hungry and and very unhappy the whole time. I did lose about 24 pounds or so.

After my surgery, I was on a 3 week liquid diet, with no mushy stage. This was also very hard, but I did it.

After the 3 weeks of liquids, I began eating normal foods, but I tried as best as I could to stay on the strict pre-op diet I had been on. I am not sure if it was easier because I had some restriction from the band, or if my stomach had shrunk. I am sure it is a bit of both.

My total weight loss from the pre-op and post-op diets has been 50lbs. I will let you know what happens in the days to come. I am excited about my weight loss, and glad to be filled.

This morning Breakfast was NOT good.

Once a week I will eat out and today I had a Breakfast burrito. I chewed really well, but I think I ate to fast. I only got about 5 bites in, I would estimate about 1/2 a cup worth of food, and the pain was to much.

This time it hurt really bad, and the pain would come and go about every 15-20 seconds. It radiated through my back, as well as hurting high in my stomach.

I immediately stopped eating (although I could not imagine continueing). I started to walk around and that eased the pain a bit. I continued to walk and work through the pain. The whole time this was going on, I started burping, and that would provide some temporary relief, but not much. Then I started producing some very thick saliva, which I had to spit out, since swallowing anything else at this point was out of the question.

I had been walking for about 15 min. and it seamed as if things were getting better very slowly. I had been feeling like I was going to throw up, and I was resisting that. Finally it happened, I through up. It was a strange sensation since it seemed to come from the top, or rather above my stomach. Immediately I felt better. I am sure this is PB'ing and Sliming as mentioned numerous times on here.

Any suggests as to what is wrong? I would like to think it was just a matter of eating too fast. I can fix that myself. I was able to eat dinner last night which was a lean cousine, swedish meatballs and Pasta. That went down without incident, although I did have some pain and discomfort.

yes, eating fast is a DISASTER-=-you must slow down!:ohmy: it helps to not wait until you're STARVING to eat! that's always my downfall--and i've been at this for 1.5 yrs--(and i just got a NEW BAND last week)...when you eat before you're very hungry--you can slow yourself down easier. it does take a little time for the nerve cells to alert your brain that food has arrived!

so--to repeat and remind--slow down, tiny bites--chew well--and try to wait between bites of food--to let time elapse. easier when you're not STARVING--so don't wait too long between meals (i know, i know--life gets in the way and it's HARD to manage sometimes).

as for throwing up--yes, it IS above the stomach--the band is right above your stomach--creating that famous POUCH--and the food does pop right out--and then you feel better. however--this can lead to a slip--as i can testify about.

best wishes,

girlinnyc

I was able to eat lunch and dinner without an incident. In fact I took it slow, ate really small bites, and I didn't feel an discomfort while eating.

I have read that some people can't watch TV while they eat because they get distracted and take to large of a bite. I like it. There is no rush, as I am not looking at someone else, gulp down their food, and I have something to do while waiting between bites.

I was really upset about vomiting. I know it can lead to slipage, and I tried really hard not to do it.

Thanks for your comments, I know all is well, and I do have the ability to control this thing.

I agree with the previou poster. Make sure you are eating TINY bites...about the size of a pea and chew at least 20 times....thats should go down better.

Good luck,

Kathy

Thanks for this post - it is exactly what I am going through. I had my first fill 2 weeks ago. Because it was a long time (5 months) after my surgery the doctor made it quite tight. He told me liquids for 2 weeks. I have slowly started to introduce food again over the weekend and it did not go well. My story is similar to yours... I would start off well and then get a pain in the back of my throat like my food was sitting there. I am very happy with liquids they go through without too much of an effort. I would like to introduce one proper meal a day though and build up to more. I think I am trying to eat too much at once, although with liquids I have been struggling to get enough calories.

Any other words of wisdom???

All Good Info I get my 1st fill July 9th. To myellen I take chewable vitamins> My Doc said that is the way to go

HI MY NAME IS TANYA AND I HAD MY BAND PLACED ON APRIL25 08 AND I JUST HAD MY FIRST FILL DONE ON JUNE 20 08 IM NOT SURE WHAT IM SUPPOSED TO BE EATING BUT I HAVENT BEEN ABLE TO EAT ANY SOLID FOODS I HAVE BEEN EATING OAT MEAL AND PROTIEN drinks I HAVE NO PROBLEM WITH THE drinks AS YOU HAVE MENTIONED BUT THE EATING FOODS YEA THATS A NO NO IM NOT SURE IF THE BAND IS TO FULL OR IM JUST NOT TAKING ENOUGH TIME TO EAT IM TRYING TO EAT VERY SLOW AND CHEW CHEW CHEW BUT IT SEEEMS THAT NOTHING I TRY IS WORKING AND ITS NOT LIKE I LIVE NEXT DOOR TO THE FILL OFFICE I LIVE 2 AND A HALF HOURS AWAY AND IM THINKING I WILL JUST WAIT IT OUT BUT I DONT WANT TO MESS ANYTHING UP SO IM LOOKING FOR ADVISE IF YOU HAVE ANY I HAVE A 4CC BAND AND I WAS FILLED TO 1.8 CC THE FIRST TIME:wink2:

I had my first fill on Tuesday, May 17th. I have a 10cc band and was fileld to 2.5cc under fluoroscopy. It seemed tight, but liquids passed, which is the point.

This morning I had two Vitamins before I ate. I broke them in half to make it easier to take them. WOW it hurt. It felt like a tightness and pain, like heartburn. It was not to bad that I thought I was going to die, but it is also not somehting that I want to deal with every day.

In about 10 min. that subsided and I began to eat. I ate very small bites and chewed very well. The first bite introduced pressure and the subsequent bites broght on more pressure and slit pain. Not as bad as the Vitamins, but it certainly made eating unplesant. I finished, only eating about 1/4 of what I would have normally had.

For lunch It was about the same. Immediate pressure from eating the first bite and then mild pain from eating more. Now as I type this I have finish eating for about 15 min. I feel fullm but I have pressure where my band is.

I would just like to point out that I can drink without any problem, and when I was on liquids for the past 3 days, I was able to consume large amounts of liquids without incident.

What do you think?

Why Did You Have To Get A New Band And Im Not Throwing Up But If I Feel Something Is Caught I Just Lean Over And Stick My Tongue Out And Then My Mouth Starts To Water And Then This Thick Spit Comes Out And Then Sometimes food But You Cant Even Tell Its food So I Dont Know If Thats Throwing Up I Dont Feel Like Im Throwing Up I Feel Like Im Regurgating

yes, Eating Fast Is A Disaster-=-you Must Slow Down!:thumbup: It Helps To Not Wait Until You're Starving To Eat! That's Always My Downfall--and I've Been At This For 1.5 Yrs--(and I Just Got A New Band Last Week)...when You Eat Before You're Very Hungry--you Can Slow Yourself Down Easier. It Does Take A Little Time For The Nerve Cells To Alert Your Brain That Food Has Arrived!

So--to Repeat And Remind--slow Down, Tiny Bites--chew Well--and Try To Wait Between Bites Of Food--to Let Time Elapse. Easier When You're Not Starving--so Don't Wait Too Long Between Meals (i Know, I Know--life Gets In The Way And It's Hard To Manage Sometimes).

As For Throwing Up--yes, It Is Above The Stomach--the Band Is Right Above Your Stomach--creating That Famous Pouch--and The Food Does Pop Right Out--and Then You Feel Better. However--this Can Lead To A Slip--as I Can Testify About.

Best Wishes,

Girlinnyc

hi just wondering why you had to get rebanded. i know you mentioned slippage? well how does that happen and what can u do to prevent it?