Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Im so ashamed, and now scared

Im 1 week post-op....my family had taco bell for dinner, so i thought "hmm, maybe i could have some pintos and cheese from taco bell cuz maybe its a little soupy..." so once i get there i get the pintos and cheese and then (its a taco bell/kfc) i saw the mac & cheese...my favorite...so i got some. I came home thinking with my belly and not with my mind and ate both the pintos and cheese and the mac n cheese. So, now ive got these extremely hurting stomach and junk coming up into my throat and my chest hurts.... so, now i need adivce; should i make myself get sick?;what will it do to my band?.....I know i should have followed my docs instructions, so i dont need anyone to tell me how aweful i am for cheating, i just need help cuz im scared, and i feel like im gonna cry cuz i failed....

Don't make yourself throw up and don't drink anything to try to make it go down- these will just make things worse! You will probably slime for awhile and feel pretty crappy. You might want to call your doctor in the morning and tell him/her what happened and see if he/she has any additional advice.

I'm sorry you're scared. Remember that you can't undo what you've done- you can just start again tomorrow a little wiser for the wear. For me, I avoided going out to eat with anyone until I felt comfortable that I would be mentally satisfied with what I could eat. And if I feel a little "weak" I decline the invite. Good luck!

If your getting really severe pains I would make myself throw up, they say that vomitting can cause the band to slip but at this point if your in pain thats the only thing you'll be able to do right? Don't worry about others calling you cheaters 99% of the people I've come across on here have cheated on there post op diet so you have nothing to worry about in that sense. Maybe try drinking a little Water. If in an hour or two if it's still really bad and you've made yourself throw up ring you doctors office, at first they might be a bit annoyed but overall they're there to help you and will want to if your in serious pain.

I don't recommend making yourself throw up. I'm sorry that you aren't feeling well. I think that you need to just wait it out.

Don't feel bad! I am two weeks post up and i also cheated with a half of slice of pita bread!!!!! I was starving and wanted a quick fix. Boy i learned my lesson. I chewed soooo fast of course my old habits didn't leave me on how to not chew fast and swallow whole. I was soooo sick. I didn't know what to do. I wanted to throw up but couldn't. this feeling was with me for about 1 1/2 hours. The pain was like nothing I every felt before. I tried to drink Water but that came up with some of the bread. I was so upset with myself to the point I was getting myself worked up to being a failure again and harming myself and the band. Thank goodness my 17 yr old daughter didn't see this. She is getting banded on 7/8 and as of today my whole experience has been wonderful!!!!! i hope by know your pain has passed!

I agree with luigismama and Lunabeane DO NOT make your self throw up. It can cause your band to slip and you don't want that. Just wait it out, you will feel better in a little while and if you don't call your dr.

I had pintos and Beans abt a week after my surgery too...funny thing is I would never in a million yrs have ordered them pre band, but I just had to have Taco Bell and knew that they where only thing I would be able to get down. My own way of cheating.

Best of luck to you as you start this amazing journey.:cursing:

Edited by bahotmomma
spelling

listen... it happens. the binging part of our personalities don't disappear over night. a lot of us have been in your shoes. if i feel pain and think i may need to vomit i let gravity take its course...

i stand over the toilet instead of kneeling and bend at the waist... if its going to come up it will be easier in that position. i doubt all that food has gone to your stomach so it won't be vomiting it will be more like PB'ing so no stomach spasms and no stomach acids.

My first "cheat" was with taco bell also!Went with family to get pintos & cheese and ended up with that PLUS some. My problem is that it went down way too easy and that only led to more cheating. I have finally hit a good ( I wouldn't call it sweet) spot with my third fill - I am now at 6.5 cc in a 12cc band. Surgery was 3/11 and I've lost 34lb. but I can tell you that I have learned the hard way that the band doesn't do it for you. I am back at the point where I have to track everything and exercise, just like they told us to - to see any weight loss at all.

My point in all this is that we all do it - and I like many thought that even though they told us it was "just a tool" I still thought it would do it for me. Now, I am thankful for all those years at weight watchers, because that is exactly what I am doing - but the band has made all the difference in the world in my ability to stay on track.

I wish you only good luck, and I pray that you will get through this with a better understanding. P.S. I had taco bell for lunch today - pintos & cheese (3 points) and a crunchy taco (4 points) and felt quite satisfied.

Keep your chin up.

Penny

I'd agree with everyone who says don't make yourself throw up. My doctor told me that's the number one cause of bands slipping. For that reason, he gave me a prescription of anti-nausea medication and also told me he will refill that prescription any time I have a stomach virus in the future.

Pintos and Beans was one of the things my doc's office told me to eat in my mushie stage which began at my 2nd week post-op. It's probably not what you ate but how fast you ate it. DONT MAKE YOURSELF THROW UP!!!! That golf ball feeling will fade eventually.

How are you feeling today? What did you do?

Don't beat yourself up because you ate! You should be proud you didn't eat as much as you would've before being banded!

And you've learned a good lesson on what happens when you put too much in that new little stoma!!

I was so scared and uncomfortable, i took 2 percocets to make me very sleepy and went to sleep. I think it was a good thing now that look at it because i am more than ever wanting to lose weight after cheating. I am following the doctor's orders 100%, getting 90g. of protien in, and not eating anything but Water, chicken broth, and jell-o. That experience made me want to succeed even more...im kinda happy i did cheat in a way...

I don't know when your surgery was, but if it makes you feel any better I was allowed to eat pinto Beans after day four post- surgery. I went on 'soft proteins' on day four - eggs, nonfat yogurt, beans,cottage cheese and chicken and fish. I would imagine mac and cheese, while not the healthiest choice, is soft enough that you didn't do any damage. But the discomfort you are having is probably due to eating too much or too quickly. That is the bigger concern as you are supposed to be healing after surgery. Don't risk ruining your band by over doing it. Take this experience as a warning and commit to only doing what your doctor told you to do! You will be able to eat soon enough, I know it seems like forever but the time really does go quickly.

Aw I feel your pain! I am about 2 1/2 weeks post-op and on mushies...I decided I could handle two bites of pizza last night. OMG! It was the worse pain ever and it lasted a good 30 mins, I felt like I was gonna throw up and went thru the motions but the pizza never came back up...just saliva. It was so painful, I too took a pain pill...was sore all night and still today.

I will never do that again! Someone told me her doc said to buy papaya enzyme...you can get it at GNC I guess and her doc said to buy two bottles and keep on in your purse. I guess when you have this kind of situation and you feel like the food is stuck the papaya stuff will help break it down so it can pass thru.

Good luck!

I'm so sorry you had to go through that but I want to thank you for posting about it. For us that haven't been banded yet, that's a great way to warn others to BE CAREFUL.

I'm glad you're feeling better, take care...you CAN do this! :rolleyes2: