Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Today was my first day back at work. and...

I made it 3 and a half hours before I got sick, one, I just stood up no gas pains nothing, and had diarrhea all over myself, like I said no gas no nothing, I was so afraid to tell my boss that I had to go home to clean up, but he let me go, but my stomach is in knots and I feel it could happen again. I was banded on Monday. I should be able to work right? Did I over do it? :tongue:

My surgeon has patients take 2 weeks off from work, no discussion about it. I can relate to the potty issues because liquids in.. liquids out! Had a couple of close calls myself immediate post op. That part gets better when you get to have thicker things to eat.

I actually had 3 weeks of because my job is physical and I'm on my feet alot. I don't think I could've gone back as soon as you did. Is more time an option?

Tess

Leslie, I had the same problem that you're having - every day. But luckily my problems were in the evening after I got home. It is truly "liquids in - liquids out" for us. The only thing I can tell you is that I went to the bathroom more frequently at work and tried to be sure that all my business was finished. I went to the potty even when I didn't think I had to, because it will sneak up on you.

Call your doctors office and ask if they can prescribe something that you are able to take - Pepto is out because it has an asprin type of substance, but maybe you can have some kaopectate or something similar.

If you feel up to working, then you should work. If not, and if your job will allow it, don't. You have to start paying attention to what your body is telling you now.

Congrats on being banded now, and try not to worry.

Barbara

I returned to work 5 days after and was exhausted. The good news, it starts to improve pretty quickly. I'm three and half weeks out and before work this morning I did a 15 mile bike ride, my energy level is going up almost everyday. Stick with it and you'll be better in no time

My surgeon has patients take 2 weeks off from work, no discussion about it. I can relate to the potty issues because liquids in.. liquids out! Had a couple of close calls myself immediate post op. That part gets better when you get to have thicker things to eat.

I actually had 3 weeks of because my job is physical and I'm on my feet alot. I don't think I could've gone back as soon as you did. Is more time an option?

Tess

What kind of work do you do?

I am a critical care nurse and work 12 hour shifts. Unfortunately our patients over the years have gotten larger and larger. Quite frequently these patients are full care and weigh over 300 pounds. I am sore sometimes when I go home not from all of the walking and standing, but lifting and turning, and lifting and turning. :tongue: We also have to accompany all of our patient off of the floor for testing which means pushing beds etc... There is a bariatric nursing home south of us and we have gotten so many respiratory failure patients that are morbidly obese, because their nearby hospital is not equipped to handle 400 pound plus patients. the pulmonary doctors accepts them at our place where we have the proper equipment.

I have noticed even loosing what I have so far, I have way more energy!!!:biggrin2:

Tess

I am a critical care nurse and work 12 hour shifts. Unfortunately our patients over the years have gotten larger and larger. Quite frequently these patients are full care and weigh over 300 pounds. I am sore sometimes when I go home not from all of the walking and standing, but lifting and turning, and lifting and turning. :tongue: We also have to accompany all of our patient off of the floor for testing which means pushing beds etc... There is a bariatric nursing home south of us and we have gotten so many respiratory failure patients that are morbidly obese, because their nearby hospital is not equipped to handle 400 pound plus patients. the pulmonary doctors accepts them at our place where we have the proper equipment.

I have noticed even loosing what I have so far, I have way more energy!!!:biggrin2:

Tess

I work as a nurse at a hospital also. I actually work on an intermediate pulmonary care unit, so I know exactly what you're talking about moving heavier patients. So you said you took 3 weeks off work. Did that seem like a good amount of time? I was planning on taking 3 weeks, but didn't know if that would be enough, or too much, or what. I mean I can always pick up extra shifts if I'm feeling better sooner. It's great to get input from someone who has had the surgery & is in the same boat as me in the work field. :lol:

i planned on going back after 5 days but my surgeon said no i had to wait a week and then it was only going to be a couple of days until my xmas break ... so i had a good month or so off.

YES ... liquids in ... liquids out. My experiences were numerous in those first few weeks post op. Buy some sanitary liners and go to the bathroom often!

All the best!

3 weeks worked for me... I was past the headaches and lethargy!!!! I went to the gym everyday on the 3rd week off, and I was up to speed to get back in the game!!!!

Tess

I had surgery on a Friday and was working the following Tuesday. It was rough not because of pain, only being tired and lethargic. I quickly recovered and was able to work without issue. I have a desk job so not much standing involved.

By 3 weeks out I think I would have been fine for any job as long as there was not heavy lifting.

yea thanks for the advice i am also a nurse and will be h aveing my surgery in july hopefully just waiting on my appt with my phys.its on the 3rd i was planning on taking 6 weeks off just because i really wan ted to heal plus i get short term disability yippie and get use to my body and eating correctly you know as nursed we cant always take the needed time we need for our breaks lol but thanks your advice really helped.

Thanks everyone, Im going to try to go in tomorrow, and see how things go. Im mostly sitting, but, the standing when I have to is killing me. I cant wait until the energy level goes up. I really want that to happen. But we will see how work goes tomorrow, I just fear I will get fired soon enough, cause Im out so much. Uggh.

Thanks everyone, Im going to try to go in tomorrow, and see how things go. Im mostly sitting, but, the standing when I have to is killing me. I cant wait until the energy level goes up. I really want that to happen. But we will see how work goes tomorrow, I just fear I will get fired soon enough, cause Im out so much. Uggh.

My surgery time off and all appointments associated with it have been under FMLA, so I'm protected from being fired for taking time off for any time tagged with it.

Do you qualify for it? It may be something to look into. My company was able to retroactively put in some of my time as FMLA for me, but not sure how common that is.

Hope you feel better

- jen

I dont have FMLA at my work, its a small establishment. I get benefits, but they are horrible, I took today off just an extra precaution, plus Im feeling a little off today. So, Im taking it easy. I have a feeling that work wont be too happy with me. But, its ok. I dont want to get fired, but if I do, then, I look at it this way, they didnt care that I just HAD surgery. Most jobs dont. But this place is supposed to be a family establishment, which cares for their employees. Right now, Im looking in to quitting, I would like to go back to school, but, budget wont cut it. And it really makes me depressed. I have a easy job, Im a graphic artist. Well 25% of the time, most of the time, Im running a laser engraver and a braille machine which requires bending, pulling tugging, etc. Not too bad but its a lot of standing. Its an ok job, but its just a job. I really want to go back to school in the fall and Im trying to think of a way I can do that. Seems impossible at this point. :drool: