Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dr. won't tell how much is in my band

I had my first fill in April. I asked my Dr. what size band I had......he said "the right size", and smiled. I didn't smile and so I asked again, finally he told me a 10 cc. After my fill as asked how much did he put in...he said "just enough", and smiled. Now, I really like my Dr. He is very compassionate and caring but a little of a smart a**, but then again so am I. So I let it slide. Last months I had lost 12 pounds in a month and he didn't do a fill on me because he said I was doing great. I wanted a fill but was Ok when he told me no. I go next week for hopefully my second fill. I've lost 8 pounds so far. This is so weird to say but I don't want to lose more than 2 more till then or he probably won't fill me this time. I think I need a fill. I'm eating waaayyyyy less than I did before surgery but I can still eat 1.5 to 2 cups of food per meal. Has anyone else had these issues with their doctor. Like I said, I really do like him and feel comfortable with him.....he just has to have is way I guess....haha.

Why do you feel you are eating too much if you are losing weight? The point is to lose weight, not to eat the tiniest amount possible. Is there some magic amount you want to eat? I eat between 1.5 and 2 cups of food (mostly veggies) at a meal and I'm losing 2 pounds a week.

By the way the doctor has to tell you your medical information. There was a huge law suit over just this thing and the courts held that records are the patient's property. Just be more firm with him. Insist.

My doctor told me but I had to ask. She said that it really doesnt matter how much is inside since we are all different and our bodies will know if we have the right amount . . . I still wanted a number. She gave it to me but asked why I needed it.

I laughed when I realized why I needed it, I need to post on the website how much I have in my fills and just to track my progress.

The doctor doesn't want to tell you how much because he doesn't want you to focus on how much liquid he is putting in, rather pay attention to what your body is telling you.

Yes by law he has to tell you. But he is reluctant to tell you and for good reason.

And yes, if your still losing more then 10lbs a month then you don't need a fill. But again, if you feel that you "need" a fill, tell him why. Saying your eating too much will probably not convince him because if your losing that much weight you are definitly not eating too much.

However, if your losing that weight but you are starving the whole time and feel like your going to crack, then that might be cause to get a fill.

Bottom line:

Concentrate more on what your body is telling you and not what your medical charts tells you. Oever time you will have to factor in stomach fat changes, liquid evaporation, and other factors and knowing how many CC's you have won;t make a lick of difference.

Also, if your not hungry all the time and you are losing 1-2lbs a week, the band is working as intended and you don;t need an adjustment.

Good luck and grats on your weight loss!

I wouldn't hold back from losing weight with a chance of not getting a fill. Everyone is different though. If you're starving then I would explain that to him and he should do some kind of fill.

this is true dont focus on the fills watch your food choice's A small amount for me might be taking a reg plate fixing it as if i would of done before surgery then taking half of it off drinking a glass 30 min (water ) before each meal walking a mile or 2 took 12 pounds off me this month and june is still here! i eat what i make for my family no one has a seperate meal just smaller for me. so listen to your body every one is different, what works for me may not be the answer for you and vise versa. hang in there be patient your doing a great job! all of you are for as what i can see.

My doc don't tell me either. But I am cool with it because whatever he and I are doing it's working :tongue:

My doc tried to be elusive with how much was in my band, but I later found out it was because their numbers weren't matching up on paper and they couldn't get in my port. He told me I don't need to obsess over the number. However, once they fixed my port and I get fills he tells me now.

It's not the surgeon's job to decide what we need and don't need to know. They aren't our parents and we aren't children. If we want to know how big our bands are and how much fill there is in them, then they should just tell us and not play games.

The last time I went in for a fill I wasn't quite sure I needed one but thought it had to be time for one since it had been almost 2 months since my last fill. I was losing steadily and eating 1 1/2 - 2 cups of foods. I discussed with the nurse and she told me I would regret it if I got a fill. I am so glad that I listened to her. If you get too tight you will have a harder time eating healthy foods and may resort to slider foods or junk which could lead to weight gain. The band is not designed to keep you from eating but to help you feel satisfied with smaller amounts of food.

I have never PB'd and I feel satisfied when I eat. Not just because of the quantity but because of the variety of food I can eat. Some people can live on 2 - 3 different foods but I can't. I am listening to my body and I do need a fill now. I am playing the yo-yo game with the scale and I can now eat way more than before.

Listen to your body and don't get a fill just because you have a band and think that is what you are supposed to do. If you are really hungry between meals and are struggling then yes need a fill. The nurse said I shouldn't get a fill unless I am really hungry and struggling or I start gaining because I am eating too much.

Good luck!

MY point is that it doesn;t matter how much they put in or take out. Its all about how your body is. Lets say you get a fill of .5CC and 4 weeks later you can;t stand eating anything since the last fill and you go back for an unfill.

Say you lossed 12 lbs that month, the doctor may only want to take .25cc out because with the weight you lossed .5cc out might be too much.

Instead of squabbling with the patient about what the numbers are the doctor is better off knowing what your body is telling you.

I work with computers. The one thing I hate is going to a service call and instead of the person telling me whats wrong with the computer, they want to spend 30 minutes explaining how they want me to fix it.

Again, I think a doctor should tell the person if they ask. As far as coming out and telling the patient right away? I don't blame them if they don't say because the numbers are not what is important since the body and fluids are constantly changing anyways.

Whether or not the doctor has an appropriate motive, there is NO excuse for he/she not to give you information to which you're legally entitled. I understand the intention to keep you focused on being mindful of your body, but the doctor can easily explain that after he/she is open and honest with your band questions.

I realize the sarcasm can help create a bond between patients, but the way I read your post, this witholding of info bordered on disrespect because it set up a power differential--an "I know what's best so you don't worry about making decisions" attitude.

I hope you ask again and see what he/she says. Sorry if my response was overzealous but for some reason that really just rubbed me the wrong way!

Oh, and if you'd like some comparative info....I wasn't losing at all when I was eating about 1 cup of healthy food (not eating around the band). My doctor's guidlines were that I should be eating about 1/2 cup of healthy food, otherwise a fill was probably in order. But, my losing had come to a standstill. Remember that 8lbs a month is still great!

You are obviously doing something right to lose at all, so congrats and keep up the good work!

I think it's pretty near impossible to say that any volume of food is right. .5 cup of ice cream vs. 1 cup of veggies? It just doesn't make any sense to me. I think it's important to eat a healthy, balanced diet and to creat that habit just in case the band is not forever.

I agree that I don't want to play the numbers game. Thanks for all your replies. I just have goals set for myself and 10 pounds a month is one of them. I don't think that is too harsh or unrealistic of a goal. I do think my Dr was out of line by saying those comments when I asked about the band and how much of a fill I was getting. But it didn't bother me that bad. I just wanted to see if other doctors were not wanting to tell like mine was/is. When I say I'm eating 1.5 to 2 cups of food per meal.....I really don't know for sure. It's hard (for me) to judge how much is what. I know some will say just weigh the food or measure the food but that is too much trouble for me. Take for instance last night.....in my mind I ate about 2 cups of food. I had a whole pork chop (about 1 inch thick, cut into tiny bites), the bottom part of a small biscuit and a piece of cantaloupe. How much to ya'll think that is converted to cups of food? I don't have a clue, so I'm guessing 2 cups ? ? ?

I know what I'm doing is working and I don't want that to change. I just don't want to fall into a rut of not losing. I feel I'm eating more than I should but I DO NOT want to get to where I BP and can't even drink normally. I've never BP so far, I'd like to keep it that way.

I don't necessarily go with depriving myself of anything (unless band won't tolerate it) to "diet", but if you want to reach 10lbs instead of 8lbs lost, if 8lb is your normal flow.. need to do things like, not eat any of the biscuit, and eat some veggies instead.. something like that.