Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Getting Banded June 30th. HELP

My surgery is scheduled for June 30th. I have been so excited but I am starting to get nervous. My doctor doesn't have any pre surgery diet but I am reading alot who do and I am thinking should I be on a diet. What if my liver is too big. My husband tells me I am just getting nervous which he is right. Does anyone have any good advise for pre and post surgery. What should I expect in the hospital?

Edited by mamalovell

I didn't have a pre surgery diet either except that I should make sure not to gain any weight and the day before eat light. My Dr said it was because he doesn't want people to get sick of Protein Shakes at aa time when they really need to drink them which is after surgery. As far as expecting something in the hospital I don't remember a thing and recovery wasn't that bad. I had some complications but nothing too serious that would make me not want to do this all over again. Good Luck, Don't Worry. It will be the best thing you ever do for yourself and your family. It was for me

I am scheduled for the 26th, so I can't tell you anything that will happen in the hopitsl/preop, but I can tell you the only pre surgery diet my doctor calls for is 3 days Clear Liquids prior to surgery. I am really concerned about my liver being too big also...even witht he 3 days liquids.< /p>

Hi Mamalovell,

It's completely normal to be getting nervous. A big change is coming! You're fortunate if your doctor isn't requiring a pre-op diet. It would be in your best interest to cut back on calories, and eliminate soda now if you're a soda drinker. Any weight lost pre-surgery can only help your surgery and maybe even recovery.

I wasn't too nervous until the night before and the morning of surgery. From what I've learned, most patients don't experience too bad of a recovery. I was in the minority of patients who experience a lot of pain.

Take this time to get prepared for your hospital stay and your recovery. Do you have a checklist? One thing that I didn't think of was preparing my rest area before going to the hospital. You may want someplace elevated and where you can recline (not have to lay flat). The best place for me was the sofa (my butt on multiple cushions). I have a 2-piece sectional, so I set up in the corner where the two pieces meet. Have some things ready to help you pass the time; for instance, crosswords or word search puzzles, movies, books, a deck of cards.

I know it may be hard, but try to think positive thoughts, think about how your life is going to change after surgery, how your health is going to improve, etc. Don't go crazy with "last supper" meals. If you exercise, keep it up, and if you don't exercise, try to get started now. This will help your recovery process.

I hope my message will help. :biggrin: Good luck to you!

Edited by Crazy4MyK9

Hi, I too am getting banded June 30th and am plenty nervous. I started the pre-op diet today. With my BMI of 43.1, he has me on 1120 Kcal/day, but if I was just a few pounds lighter, I would have been in the 820 range. I'm doing Protein Shakes and bars, with an evening (diet) frozen dinner. I think this is what I needed psychologically. The doc (general surgeon) has done these for 5 years and never found the surgery technically difficult, but has in the past year started everyone on pre-op diets. I think it does make things a little roomier, he can use less C02 gas, regulates carb/protein metabolism a little tighter, and gets me ready for liquids, mushies, etc. Good luck. You could call the office and tell them you are placing yourself on a diet, and go from there!

Hi Mamalovell,

It would be in your best interest to cut back on calories, and eliminate soda now if you're a soda drinker. Any weight lost pre-surgery can only help your surgery and maybe even recovery.

If you exercise, keep it up, and if you don't exercise, try to get started now. This will help your recovery process.

I really agree, I am going to be on a preop diet, but if you practice now it will make things easier later. Maybe try and cut out carbs, my doctor said that it really helps to shrink the liver. So if you are really worried try that. :biggrin2: Good luck!!!

My surgery is scheduled for the 30th also! I started my pre-op diet today. I can do a Protein Shake for Breakfast and lunch and then a 4 oz piece of meat and some veggies for dinner. Each Dr. is so different on their pre-op instructions. I say just follow your Dr's orders and you'll do fine.

My surgery is July 1st and I am nervous too. I think it is because it is such a big change. I too have followed the 6 month pre-surgery diet and my surgeon doesn't require a diet change prior to the surgery either. I agree with others on the board that you should continue to eat light and exercise up to the surgery. Try and focus on the reason you made this decision in the first place. I have to remind myself every day. I really think the reason I feel apprehension isn't because of the surgery, but because of the 'unknown'. I am afraid of success... I am going to do it this time and so can you! Hang in there and I will keep you in my prayers!

:sad:

Florida Girl...

Welcome to all you June bandsters!

There is a thread for June 2008 Bansters!

Join us! We are all in the same place, some just banded, some waiting!

I will put your names in the line up!

Thank you all for the great advise. I am going to go on a pre op diet just for myself. I am still nervous and am scared of the unknown like what to expect at the fills and right after surgery. I just can't believe it's only 14 days away.