Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pre-op diet question????

My surgeon wants me to do 2 weeks of a liquid diet. The problem is that I ordered the shakes he wanted me to and I cannot drink them. I can't force myself to swollow them. So I have gone to the 2 slim-fast and one meal a day. Do you think this will be o.k.? My question is that is it just the point of being on liquids to shrink the liver fat or is it just as long as I'm losing weight my way I'll be o.k.? Sorry, I hope not too confusing.

Thank you for your help.

I would call the doctor's office - the amount of Protein you get is very important now and after the surgery. I suspect that Slim Fast has quite a few carbs which is not allowed on a protein diet. I am sure the doctor's office has other products to recommend.

Hi TexGal,

I'm sorry if this sounds a bit harsh, but you need to harden up. There are a lot of changes you will need to make, both before and after surgery, in order to ensure that it works for you. The first change is the liquid diet.

The point of the liquid diet is, indeed, to shrink your liver. Having any surgery in the abdominal region can be very dangerous if you have a severely fatty liver, and the point of the liquid diet is to purge your liver's fats in as fast a time as possible.

I know that the drinks they give you (Medifast/Optifast) taste bad. But these drinks are recommended for a reason - they are the only supplements clinically proven to shrink your liver (when used properly). If the doctor wanted you on slim-fast and a meal, he would have said so.

Once again, I'm sorry if this sounds harsh and preachy. However, you need to think very seriously about this. If you can't handle a 2-week liquid pre-op diet (the express purpose of which is to make this surgery less risky for you), then how will you handle the 2 weeks post-op of liquids, then 2 weeks of mushies?

Basically, if you can't change your habits BEFORE the surgery, what makes you think you will be able to change them AFTERWARDS?

We've all done it, and you can do it too. Just remember that you're doing this for your own good - to get healthy.

It's not at all that I mind doing the pre-op diet, it's just I could not drink that particular brand of shake. (Bariatric Advantage) I'm not trying to come across as a person who is not serious about this. My question was do I just need to lose weight by any means. I did'nt realize that I had to do it only with the shakes. My surgeon's office is not the most helpful, you put calls into them several times and they won't call you back. They did'nt give me any instruction on this shake diet.

While I appreciate the advice, I totally am not the slacker person you must think I am, I'm just looking for some help with this.

It's not at all that I mind doing the pre-op diet, it's just I could not drink that particular brand of shake. (Bariatric Advantage) I'm not trying to come across as a person who is not serious about this. My question was do I just need to lose weight by any means. I did'nt realize that I had to do it only with the shakes. My surgeon's office is not the most helpful, you put calls into them several times and they won't call you back. They did'nt give me any instruction on this shake diet.

While I appreciate the advice, I totally am not the slacker person you must think I am, I'm just looking for some help with this.

Ok, good to hear you're committed. I'm probably just a bit jaded, there have been a lot of people on these boards lately who just have no idea that they're actually going to have to change their lives if they want results :)

Generally, a period of "shakes only" is the most successful way to shrink your liver, which drastically reduces the risk of the surgery. You need to be completely off carbs, as the liver "clings" to them and stays inflated. So just make sure that whatever type of shake you choose, it has as few carbs as possible.

Good luck! You can do this - you're on your way to a healthier life! :)

Thank you jills, this is the kind of advice I was looking for. I have lost 6 pounds so far and was a little discouraged by the last poster as if I was'nt serious. I appreciate your help, and good luck to you.

I will tell you that I was in the same boat. My doctor said I needed to be on two weeks of Medifast prior to surgery. I took everything home, opened up that box on the first day of the liquid diet, made a shake drank some, and promptly threw up in the sink.

So..

I took the nutritional info from the Medifast box to GNC and bought a comparable brand. The brand I bought was Amplify. Super low carbs, 24 grams of Protein in 4 oz (you mix it with water). I used the chocolate, and it was very good, I have to say (tasted kinda like melted ice cream!). The most important part (if you do something like this) is to keep it low/no carb and HIGH Protein, and take a Multivitamin because the Medifast does have all of your Vitamins in it as well.

My surgery was 25 minutes long from start to finish and the surgeon said everything went beautifully. I'm not saying the same will happen for you, I'm just telling you my experience.

I dont think u HAVE TO drink the ones they recomended. I drink the Smart Forme Protein Drinks. I really like the chocolate, it takes just like a fudge cycle. The vanilla tastes like pudding. The mixed berry is kinda gross...so i dont recomend that one. Just go to smartforme.com they also have alot of other Protein choices including bars,snacks, and other drinks like hot cocoa and mocha flavors. If anything, check em out......

also, there is something called whey protien bullets, which are pretty expensive but they have 42 g. of protein per 3 oz. serving, (mix it with crystal light) unlike the SmartForme that only has 15g of protein. just a few suggestions....

Sounds Like You Are Doing Good. My Dr. Allowed One Meal And 2 Of shakes, Carnation Instant Br. Sf.. Or Boost, Glucose Control. Or The Slim Fast, But Carb Control. Hope You Find Something That You Like. It Is Torture To Have To Drink Something You Can't Get Down. I Like The Boost And Carn. Br. Keep Up Your Chin, It Will Work Out. I Am 5 Days Out, And Know How You Feel.

Hi, I've started my pre-op diet today and over the past weeks have kept my ear out for talk about it. My doc has me on an 1120 kcal diet for my BMI of 43.1. I asked the RN if she happened to know how much the liver actually "shrank', ( would be from loss of triglycerides found in the liver cells) during these 2 weeks and she had no idea. I'm going to ask the doctor, what % volume is lost. I don't think he will have an answer, but maybe an estimate. I can't imagine the size of the liver would be appreciably reduced- (in consideration of surgical benefits). I think intuitively, (as the nurse reports), the diet helps to reset our carb/protein metabolism and adjust to the lowered calorie intake, all in preparation for the post-op diet. I have found that some doctors prefer their patients not to be in a deteriorated condition at the time of surgery and are willing to adjust the diet as needed. Psychologically, I think the pre-op is a very important feature of the procedure. I also think the the diet does provide a little more "room", meaning less carbon dioxide gas has to be pumped into the abdomen, lifting the muscle, fat, and tissues up and away from the stomach. Less gas, means less surgical "gas' (CO2) pain, post-op. The surgeon does try to remove as much CO2, as possible, but there is always some. Putting the shoulders lower than the abdomen helps, as does, I've heard, getting in the "stink bug" position. i.e., putting your rear-end up in the air! Ha!

My partner is taking the Sprutein Protein powder from the local health food center. There are two sugar-free varieties - vanilla and chocolate. She adds Splenda to hers. She can't tolerate regular whey-based Protein powders; they give her Migraines. She is mixing them with Silk soymilk and is thinning them a bit more than the package calls for, but she's adding in the calories from the extra soymilk into her daily calorie count. I've tasted them, and they're quite drinkable.

BadgerMom

From what I have read, this makes me a little nervous, my doctor put me on slimfast for 2 weeks and I have not seen any body else say they were on slimfast. Does this sound right? It has been 6 days and I have lost 12 pounds, is that too fast?

i would consider looking for a different surgeon. if his office is not helpful, not returning your calls and not giving you instructions with respect to an important aspect of the surgery (the pre-op diet), do you really want these people cutting into you. what if you have post-op questions? or god-forbid, post-op complications? i would be veeery uneasy about turning myself over to a team that was 'not the most helpful'. just a thought.

You should have a nutritionist onboard. My appointments with the nutritionist were very important plus I was given a set of instructions on what and when to eat certain foods - it is like a food "Bible." To tell you the truth it is extremely effective - I have lost a lot of weight fast - any even more with the surgery. I have a high Protein liquid of 3.1 oz that has 42 gr of Protein that I use almost daily to make sure I get the protein. Also, more protein, less hunger. I am to eat 80-90 percent protein and 10 percent complex carbohydrates. Protein should be 60-70 grams per day. Anyway, that is basically the instructions. The product I use is called New whey - I don't have to drink a lot of it to get my protein. Now it is not the greatest tasting stuff but it works and of course, I have to take a lot of Vitamins.

There are just so many people that don't get important information before their surgery and then they can't have the surgery. The doc opens them up and then immediately closes - no band. They had no shrinking of fat around the liver. I think that I too would consider getting another surgeon. I had to go through an entire lapband progam including 4-6 visits with a psychologist - several with preop nurses and of course the nutritionist. There is a lot of information you need to know that apparently you aren't getting. Think on it.