Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What foods can you NOT eat since the surgery?

Unfortunately I love rice. LOL I would rather have baked, broiled, or grilled food than fried food, so I think I am good there. My main eating problem is I just eat too much food, that's why I think the Lap Band will work great for me.

The foods I have trouble eating are moist bread, scrambled eggs and grilled tuna. Even those things will go down if I'm really careful about taking small bites and chewing well.

I can't eat fries at all. They cause incredible pain, even just a few. I can't eat chicken no matter how moist except chicken salad. I do fine with regular salads. I can eat bread sometimes. It depends on what kind of bread and what time of the day it is, so I generally just stay away from it all together. I love cornbread and can do it in small quantities as long as I eat slow and crumble it in my Soup. I thought I was okay with rice until yesterday, but it came up almost immediately. :sad: I hadn't tried it since my last fill. Guess my rice days are over. I can do some pastas like penne or elbow, regular spaghetti causes problems. I do okay with apples as long as I eat small bites. Fresh strawberries can cause a problem if I don't chew well enough. I'm still learning and trying new things to see if I can eat them or not. I'm always amazed at how different it is from person to person.

I am three months in and have had one fill. So far I have only found two things that cause any issue at all. oatmeal I can't eat at all and scrambled eggs can be difficult. I have no problem with any meat, bread, Pasta, rice, just about anything I want. I am very careful about how much though and chew very well. :sad:

Kelly, best of luck to you! I've found that everyone is slightly different in what they can and can't eat at different stages post op. I know some who can eat anything and others who have very strict restrictions. You will find what does and does not work for you.... and that too will probably change as you progress.

I'm just over 2 months post-op and more than what I can and can't eat I've found my eating preferences have changed. I used to love bread and now I'm not even interested after a bite or two. Before surgery I'd drink Crystal Light by the gallon and now I don't care for any of the flavors.I've been a huge fan of steak, all steak, my whole life and now only prime rib hits the spot. I LOVE salads, but after a bite or two it just doesn't appeal any more. I feel like I am eating simply to eat.

So, pay attention to your belly and you will find what works best for you!

I can't eat french fries, potatoe chips, pretty much anything that has to do with potatoes even mashed.

Left over meat (like when I bar-b-que) it is impossible to eat.

I have not tried Rice, or sandwiches; I can eat bread by itself but have not tried it with anything on it.

Scrambled eggs I used to love them, now I can't stand them.

Fritos and bean dip - why I don't know, I used to love them.

Cori, I'm like you my preferences have really changed.

Edited by Ann D

This may be answered elsewhere, so I apologize. I'm a reading maniac right now!

The drinking thing worries me. I always have Water, milk, soda, etc. I know you aren't suppose to drink when you eat, but can you drink unlimited drinks (water) otherwise? Like if you go to the gym, can you pound down a bottle of Water? I hate being thirsty!

yea you can drink as much as you want. i don't know about pounding down a bottle of Water though. if you drink to much of anything at one shot you're gonna be sorry ! ! it's just gonna sit there and give you tremendous pain !

I had surgery Aug. 15, 2007. I can no longer eat bread, cake, anything fried, chips, pork or fast food of any kind. The only one I miss is the bread. Good luck.

I'm concerned about the drinking part too. When I workout or it's hot, I can easily gussle a bottle of Water (that's pretty much all I drink).

I can't eat french fries which is a good thing because that was my downfall. I think I've had 2 since surgery in November. I don't miss them at all. I can still eat pizza which is a bad thing. I can eat rice but it can cause some discomfort. bread can be difficult. I have no problems with salad. I never liked salad before I was banded but now I love them. The band has really changed my attitude about food. Dry meats are bad. When we BBQ we now buy chicken legs and thighs.

I've never PB'd but I don't keep my band very tight. I am getting a fill next Tuesday so some of the foods listed above may be out of the question for a while.

Right after a fill I can't guzzle Water but within a week or so I can drink more. Sometimes I can drink about 8 ounces really fast and then I let it go down and can continue on and other days I can only drink about 3 ounces at a time. After my last fill I had to sip. I could hear and feel it gurgling and going down very slow. It was weird.

So what is it about these certain foods you guys mention? Like rice....to someone that isn't banded, it seems like it's small and it would go right down. Is it b/c it's sticky? Why are fried foods difficult, doesn't the grease help it slide down? Is bread difficult b/c it sticks or expands??

In addition to learning certain foods may be off limits, I wouldn't mind understanding the reasoning, if there is one.

I'm 10 months banded and as restricted as my doc will allow. I can eat any kind of meat as long as it's not dry. I can't do spicy things, or brocolli, bread, Pasta, Tomato sauces. Nothing solid goes down before 1pm, so I have yogurt or Protein Shake. PB'd today on animal crackers:ohmy: (pig that I am, I ate them too fast and didn't chew well, was talking to my son..) So even though I'm 10 months out, I still do stupid things...But the band is there yeee haaa!!! So instead of eating the whole bag of animal crackers, it stopped me at 4 crackers. I love my band and wish I had done it years ago....:)

Whew boy...celery gets me violently vomiting. So, I pick it out of anything that it is in and choose not to add it to anything that I'm making. I'm scared to death to even try a bagel...can't imagine how that would feel sitting in there. I've have had intermitten troubles with mushrooms (as in an omlette), tomatoes, chicken that is too dry. But overall, I can eat anything. I do eat toast once in a while, but mostly stay away from my breads that I love. Crackers are tough, but chips (corn) go down when nothing else will. OH....some brands of chicken noodle Soup will stop me up. Go figure.

I have said before (I'm 1 year and a half out) that our bands have their own personality and they like to screw with us occasionally just to remind us who is boss.

I do chug a few gulps of Water periodically, but if I go to far, it urps back up. So, I do try to do things less that 5 or 6 times before I get the message (DUH!! :)