Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dr. Enochs in Raleigh

JEANBEAN,

Being nice and not wanting to be deceived (or letting others be deceived) are not mutually exclusive. Everyone reading these posts can click on your name and read your posts (every single on about Dr. Enochs) to decide for themselves. I simply want this to be a place where we can share information about ourselves, our weight-loss struggles and our lap-band knowledge. The experience changes when we can't trust the information other posters give us. Dr. Enochs is probably an excellent surgeon, but I think you are doing him a disservice with your posts.

Just throwing in my two cents, for what it's worth. I agree with you. Every post that JEANBEAN has made is regarding Dr. Enochs and how "wonderful" he is. If he's that hard-up for patients, he needs to buy an ad. People come here for advice, and it's not "nice" for you to blatantly advertise for your employer.

Now I understand what you mean. I didn't mean it that way. I'll lay it low key then. Thanks for your view and best wishes.

PS> I still am so grateful for Dr. Enochs changing my life forever. I flew to California 2 weeks ago and I sat in an airplane seat without having people stare me down. You have no idea how happy I felt.

YAY!!!On your date. November is a great time!! Congrats and let us know how your journey goes.!!

Edited by JeanBean

This is so cool!!! I'm still in the pre-op phase - will hopefully be scheduled before the end of the year. I met with Dr. Enouchs just a week ago, and I've already had the pre-op labs, and appointments with the nutritionist and psychologist. I'm hoping that the insurance approval won't take too long. Wish me luck!!

I am a nurse who works in the recovery room and occasionally preop at one of the hospitals in which Dr. Enochs does surgeries. I have had many of his patients for both lap chole's (gallbladder) and Lap Band. I have seen his work immediatley post op. After seeing the single incision for the lap band and seeing how prepared his patients were as far as kowing what guidelines to follow after surgery, I went to go see him. I was impressed at the time he took to answer my questions. I had talked to him a few times on the phone regarding patient care, but never as a patient myself. Since then, I have completed all of my required preop appointments and as of today am awaiting approval from my insurance. The staff has been very informative and has kept me in the loop as far where I was in the process. I was proactive in getting my appointments completed and whenever I had a question, I emailed (not called because their office is always busy) my case worker and would have a response within an hour or 2. The point is there is more than one great Bariatric Surgeon in the Raleigh area; but I personally am going with Dr. Enochs.

Dr. Enochs performed my surgery 2 years ago. I am one of the people who posted here in the past, singing his praises. I don't feel that way any more. Dr. Enochs is an excellent surgeon. No doubt. Because of that, his practice has grown out of control.

The person now doing most of the fills, Bret, has a horrible "bedside" manner. He apparently used to be overweight (tells everyone), but seems to dislike fat people now. Every fill is done under fluoroscopy, so it's more expensive and takes longer. It takes WEEKS to get an appointment and then you get the tiniest of fills, if you're lucky enough to get any. Bret likes to preach about exercise and Portion Control. Of course the band is a tool, but if 95% of us could exercise and eat small amounts like we're supposed to, we wouldn't need the band in the first place.

I went to Bret 12 times (paying a $50 co-pay every single time!) and the most fill he would give me was 4cc's. When I'd only lost 2 pounds in 2 months, he told me I wasn't exercising enough and needed to change my eating habits. (Duh.)

There was a group of patient chatting in the waiting room before one of my appointments (because you wait for a looooooooong time). Every single patient was upset about Bret and the way the fills are being (not) done now. I was surprised so many people were upset, but planned to continue treatment anyway. The final straw came when I ended up having to cancel my appointment a few weeks later because I was sick. I called and spoke to a member of the staff personally, canceling the appointment. Two weeks after that, I got a bill in the mail for my "missed" appoinment. When I called and told them that I'd cancelled days before the appointment, I was told that their records didn't show that and essentially I had no proof of the call. I'd finally had enough and called around to other local doctors.

I'm with a new doctor now in Raleigh. I have almost 6cc's in my band and am finally losing weight. I can still eat pretty much anything (not sliming), but am actually satisfied with less food and not hungry between meals. If I'd stayed at Enoch's office, I'd still be miserable and confused about why the band wasn't working.

I honestly love Dr. Enochs, but after the surgery, you NEVER will see him again. You will see the staff. Some nice, some not so nice. The one doing the fills is in the latter group.

Dr. Enochs performed my surgery 2 years ago. I am one of the people who posted here in the past, singing his praises. I don't feel that way any more. Dr. Enochs is an excellent surgeon. No doubt. Because of that, his practice has grown out of control.

The person now doing most of the fills, Bret, has a horrible "bedside" manner. He apparently used to be overweight (tells everyone), but seems to dislike fat people now. Every fill is done under fluoroscopy, so it's more expensive and takes longer. It takes WEEKS to get an appointment and then you get the tiniest of fills, if you're lucky enough to get any. Bret likes to preach about exercise and Portion Control. Of course the band is a tool, but if 95% of us could exercise and eat small amounts like we're supposed to, we wouldn't need the band in the first place.

I went to Bret 12 times (paying a $50 co-pay every single time!) and the most fill he would give me was 4cc's. When I'd only lost 2 pounds in 2 months, he told me I wasn't exercising enough and needed to change my eating habits. (Duh.)

There was a group of patient chatting in the waiting room before one of my appointments (because you wait for a looooooooong time). Every single patient was upset about Bret and the way the fills are being (not) done now. I was surprised so many people were upset, but planned to continue treatment anyway. The final straw came when I ended up having to cancel my appointment a few weeks later because I was sick. I called and spoke to a member of the staff personally, canceling the appointment. Two weeks after that, I got a bill in the mail for my "missed" appoinment. When I called and told them that I'd cancelled days before the appointment, I was told that their records didn't show that and essentially I had no proof of the call. I'd finally had enough and called around to other local doctors.

I'm with a new doctor now in Raleigh. I have almost 6cc's in my band and am finally losing weight. I can still eat pretty much anything (not sliming), but am actually satisfied with less food and not hungry between meals. If I'd stayed at Enoch's office, I'd still be miserable and confused about why the band wasn't working.

I honestly love Dr. Enochs, but after the surgery, you NEVER will see him again. You will see the staff. Some nice, some not so nice. The one doing the fills is in the latter group.

Raleighgirl ~

I just wanted to let you know that I am having the exact same issues as you are. I have just stopped going because after 4 visits of him telling me I don't need a fill and that I need to excercise more ...duh! and his horrible bedside manner -- I just said screw it and have not gone to get a fill. I have not gained any weight or lost any weight. I have some restriction, don't get me wrong. I just would be much happier if they could help me out and give me at least half a CC or something. I love Dr. Enochs, but Brett is just an asshole. At that he's very creepy. I have done my part, I've been working with a personal trainer and I work out at at 2 different gyms at least 5 times a week. I have been working on my food habits as well. I just regret getting the band for this crap. I wish I just would of gotten a gastric sleeve and not worried about these stupid fills which are pointless since all they do is take your money. What doctor do you go to now? I might want to switch as well.

Jessica

I thought it was just me, but I had a similar experience with Lisa. Like you, I love Dr. Enochs, but I am concerned over his PA's. Dr. Enochs did a great job with the surgery, however I never see him either. Once the surgery and first year or two are up, it's always with the PA''s. That is okay, if the PA's are considerate and concerned. If they would truly listen to what you are saying, instead of relying on that new fandangled scanning machine of theirs! I don't know, maybe their hands are tied. I was going to switch over to Brett, the PA, whom I have not met, however, after hearing your comments, I am thinking now that it won't make any difference.Why this dramatic change, where is the love?

It's been over 5 years since I have had my lap band. I went in to get a fill, which I rarely have requested. I wasn't losing weight, but gaining. I assumed I would be met with concern and kindness. I also assumed I would get a fill. I was scanned on their new machine and watched the flow and restriction, where upon I was told I was plenty restricted. I told them I wasn't, that I was gaining, and that I hadn't had that issue the previous years on lapband. I also informed them I could eat more and that I was hungrier, than previous times. I left with no fill. I left with feelings of "not another failure." The re-gaining had never occurred during the earlier lap band years. I waited a month, went back and said there had been no change. I was still re-gaining. I had to get forceful and say that I would speak to Dr. Enoch. Lisa then relented and gave me a small amount of fill .

Lisa suggested, in a firm tone, that I needed to exercise and cut back on my eating. As she pointed to my head, she referred that perhaps my problem was "in my head." Needless to say, I left upset and downhearted. I didn't pay all this money for the lap band, not including all the pain and time, to have comments like that said to me. To have a PA think "it's all in my head!" Do you know how many years fat people have had to endure that statement!

I still haven't lost the weight, even after trying to cut back on my eating and regular exercise, with the Rex Center. I signed up for the Weight and Nutrition program. I am still losing and gaining those 4 or 5 pounds. When a PA says" well maybe you should decide if you can be happy with losing 50 pounds" (that has been my weight loss) instead of realizing that I have at least 50-70 pounds more I need to lose, it shows little compassion or concern. Why one, who is a medical professional, couldn't understand the frustration, is beyond me. You would think dealing with lap-band patients day in and out, the PA would see a need or change for the patient, who is trying and has tried for years to lose weight.

I am happy I have lost 50 pounds, however, I am not happy about re-gaining pounds. I have worked hard to maintain that lost. Tthat was suppose to be one of the purposes of the lapband, to restrict from re-gaining. From the beginning, I was told that one of the advantages of the lapband was that if you did start to regain, you could always tighten the band. I have a large band that isn't even half used (well maybe a little over half). So why put in such a large band if you are not expecting to increase the restriction, especially when the patient is obviously gaining? Sometimes a machine doesn't detect what a person knows and feels when there is a change (or in this case, NO Change) with the body.

Perhaps the staff should reconsider their approach with their patients, especially their long-term patients, we all will be long-term eventually. If complaints, better yet, disappointments continue like these, surely it can not be good for business. We own our own business and if I treat my customers in such a manner, I don't think my customers would last long.

Enochs, as a surgeon, is great, professional, cordial, and likeable. I would highly recommend him for the surgery, however, I wish he would listen to his patients concerns, when it comes to dealing with the PA's and the fills for the band. I don't know what's happened to his Physician Assistants?

Vericks

I'll be at his seminar on August 12th! :wink2:

First post - hey everyone! I live in Cary. I've done a lot of research over the last month, and I'm pretty sure the LB is what I want done. Unfortunately, there's no way my insurance is going to cover it. However my husband is willing to help me finance this. So, my question is: What's the out-of-pocket cost for LB surgery (not counting fills)? Through all my research, I can't find it anywhere. I like what I've read about Dr. Enochs and plan to attend one of his seminars, but I'd really like to know what I'm getting myself into, dollar-wise. Has anyone out there had the LB surgery with Dr. Enochs and paid for it themselves without insurance? What's the overal cost? Does Dr. Enochs offer financing?

Any help is appreciated! :wink2:

Make sure and call his financial office and have them get you a detailed cost analysis for all the costs of the surgery, including doctors cost, hospital cost, technicians cost, etc., plus all the test you have to have before with the various doctors to get approved for surgery. This is very important. There are always hidden costs!

It is disappointing to hear how the aftercare has been for you guys at Dr. Enoch's office. I am hoping my experience will be different, however, if it isn't, I will absolutely be changing doctors. There are several Bariatric groups in the area and Doc's in the area: Dr. Sharp, Dr. Moran, Dr. Bovard, Dr. Henderson. I think Dr. Moran's group is where I would start. As far as Dr. Enochs is concerned, I will not keep spending my money if I am doing everything by the books and not losing weight..... How crazy! A band without fills is a waste, and it definatley should be individualized not 4cc for everyone!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am getting my band this Saturday and am now very concerned. Has anyone noticed an improvement in this situation?

I am getting my band this Saturday and am now very concerned. Has anyone noticed an improvement in this situation?

I don't go to Enochs any more because of the problems I mentioned before with Bret.

Please don't be worried, though. Dr. Enochs is one of the best (if not THE best) surgeons in N.C. He will do a fantastic job on your surgery.

If you experience problems with his staff later on down the road, you can transfer to another doctor like we did.

Again, don't worry! You'll be in great hands. :)

Congratulations, too! I remember how exciting it was to finally feel like there would be a change in my weight!!!!!

I don't go to Enochs any more because of the problems I mentioned before with Bret.

Please don't be worried, though. Dr. Enochs is one of the best (if not THE best) surgeons in N.C. He will do a fantastic job on your surgery.

If you experience problems with his staff later on down the road, you can transfer to another doctor like we did.

Again, don't worry! You'll be in great hands. :)

Congratulations, too! I remember how exciting it was to finally feel like there would be a change in my weight!!!!!

Thank you! I'm very excited but still a little bit nervous...I'm more nervous about my own self control and being able to stay positive than I am about the actual procedure lol. Dr. Enochs removed my gall bladder a few weeks ago and it wasn't too terrible so I'm definitely comfortable with him.

dr enochs was my dr and i have been very pleased with him and his staff..

anyone else?

Hello All !!

I am too a patient of dr. Enochs !! He's GREAT ♥

I am starting a group for people who have been through a wls of any kind here in the NC RTP TRIANGLE AREA. If your interested pm me !!