Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

First Fill Questions?

I haven't had a fill yet, but I'm scheduled for the 3rd of July. I'm concerned b/c I'm not sure where my port is exactly. Is it supposed to be directly under the largest incision? Do they put the needle through the incision for the fill?

When I lay down the port incision is above my rib cage and I can't seem to palpate the port easily? Someone out there who has had a fill and can explain how it goes the first time?

I have been wondering the same thing .. I get my first fill on the 2nd of July and a wee bit nervous about it.. I can't find my port either ..

weight.png

I just had my 1st fill last Thursday. In answer to your questions, I will give you my experience!

1. My port was located directly beneath, about 0.5-1 inch below my largest incision.

2. They did NOT put the fill in through the incision. It went straight into that 0.5-1 inch mark below the incision.

3. I have tried to palpate my port but not really knowing what I am looking for, it seems fruitless.

4. It did not hurt at all ... I didn't feel a thing until he told me to relax and when I did that there was some slight burning (like an ant bite). Not sure why that was but I'll wait to relax next time until he is totally done -- not because it hurt so bad but more so because why should I hurt if I don't have to?! :P

I was a little nervous as well but it was so easy! You're going to do great! :lol:

Welcome and Congrats...I am also a Dr Ponce patient, live in Soddy...

Your port should not be "directly" beneath your incision. Mine is about 2 inches below my largest incision. My port is on the left side below my ribs. I think Ponce puts the port in about the same spot for most of his ops.

Try not to worry too much about your first fill, I know its nerve-racking though. I have had 6 fills, I was banded Jan 7 of this year. Dr Ponce has done all my fills except one. Brooke did my last fill. Ponce won't fill you too much the first time, so don't be expecting any great restriction afterwards, he's very conservative in the beginning. If they haven't already explained you will be getting monthly fills for the first 3, then after that they will evaluate if you need to be filled more.

You'll lay down on the table and he'll find your port and stick the needle in. You'll stand up and shimmy over to the flouroscopy machine. You'll be able to see your port and band on the screen and you'll drink some barium. They usually use strawberry flavored, its not the yucky upper GI stuff. You'll be able to see the liquid move down and they'll do the adjustment. It takes about 5 minutes.

I've never had any pain with the fills. The needle stick burns and stings a little, nothing bad at all. He also uses some kind of numbing stuff which lasts for about 2 weeks on me!

Feel free to PM with any other questions!

I was banded on May 29 as well and I'm not having my first fill until August 5! I had my first post-op visit today.

Up until yesterday, I could feel my port easily, and then all of a sudden it was hard to find it. I asked my dr. if something had happened and he laughed and said no, that eventually it becomes harder to find because of weight loss, muscle change, etc.

Mine is below my rib cage on the left side, btw.

Nuke and Bama and southern THANK YOU! I needed that exact description to feel more at easy with the procedure. And, to hear from someone who has had it done by my own MD! Awesome.

I actually feel some restiction without any fill. I can eat whatever I want, just less of it. I've started exercising and I'm loosing weight. I do get hungry between meals though easpecially in the evening hours before dinner.< /p>

Thanks everyone for making me feel better about this upcoming fill.

Your port is probably not under your incision but below it to the left. I had all my fills from nurses and they did this all day. Don't worry, they know where the port is. It may feel a bit strange the first time, but it doesn't hurt and it is over quickly. You can go back to work or go shopping afterwards. I always lost weight after fills :drool:

I haven't had a fill yet, but I'm scheduled for the 3rd of July. I'm concerned b/c I'm not sure where my port is exactly. Is it supposed to be directly under the largest incision? Do they put the needle through the incision for the fill?

When I lay down the port incision is above my rib cage and I can't seem to palpate the port easily? Someone out there who has had a fill and can explain how it goes the first time?

My first fill was a breeze!! I had to lie down on the table and push my stomach against the doctors fingers. He told me to lift my head off the table too. This made it easier for him to find it. I was worried about the pain of the needle, but there was NO PAIN!!!! I didn't feel a thing!!!

I am looking forward and not nervous at all about my second fill on Monday!!!!!

TDR: I felt a little restriction, but really not a lot!! I'm hoping my next fill tomorrow will give me more restriction.......

I got my first fill last week. She had a little bit of a hard time finding my port, said it was low profile and I had some scar tissue that would eventually subside. One thing she told me that I've never heard before is that any restriction from your first fill probably won't last long. She said something about the fat around your stomach being rubbed off once they tighten the band for the first time. The fat rubs off then your restriction is somewhat lost, depending on how much fat you have. Weird, anyone else ever hear of that??

Stef

Well I had my first fill today!!! I started out with 4cc's in a 10cc band (at first I thought it was 3) and I was SOOO nervous! The doctor guy talked to me a while, and he pressed down on my tummy. Said he could feel the edges of the port as well as tubing, and had me put my chin to my chest to make sure he had the right spot. He stuck the needle in, it was a little sting, but not as bad as drawing blood or an IV. He took all the Fluid out to make sure the same amount was in that I started with which was 4cc's. Then he put it back in, along with 1 additional cc. Then he said "you know I'm done right?". I felt so relieved! I didn't have to do an x-ray or barium or anything, but I did have to sit in the lobby for about 15 mins sipping Water to make sure it went down well. I have a follow up/fill scheduled for 3 weeks from today and now I'm not scared anymore. Sad about doing liquids for 2 days, but the mushies will be here before I know it for 2 days then back to regular food. I can't wait to go to the gym and start shedding all this fat!!

I had my first fill on June 23 and I have no restriction at all, I can tolerate any and everything. He did go straight down, with a 2 in long huber needle, thru the scar tissue, I felt pressure, but no pain, with nerves having been cut, there is no sensation in the scar tissue. He also had me raise my head to my chest, then he helped me sit up, and hold the needle in place while he got me some Water, the cooler is right there in the room. He pushed in saline, had me gulp, too tight, I immediately felt a burning pressure in my throat, so he backed some out, and I tried again, this time, nothing, so he added a little back in, this time, a little buring pressure in my throat, but it resolved quickly, so that's when he stopped. He said he had about 5.5 cc's in. My band holds 9cc's. I had an return appt for July 14th, but I called on Friday, and told them what is going on, and they had a cancellation for this Monday, the 30th, so I'm going early. Now, I have heard of some that say there can be a delay, as long as up to 4 wks, but I don't get how that can be.

Happy to say I got my first fill today and it really didn't hurt. The nurse told me that she does not usually numb the site as most pt's report the numbing medicine hurts worse than the actual stick. She did a good job and but for a small pinch, it did not hurt.

She accessed the port while I was lying down. It ended up about 2-3 inches below my largest incision. Just a small stick and it was in. She told me I would feel some pressure as she advanced the needle all the way into the port. It stung a little, not bad.

Then she said, "stand up." Wow, it's weird to stand up with a needle sticking out of your abdomen, but it didn't hurt. I walking in front of the fluro machine and drank barium. Just a sip and I could watch it go through. Facinating! She said my band was in the perfect place and looked good. She gave me some fill and I drank again. She gave me a little more and I drank again! Then I drank some Water and watched it go down on the fluro machine.

All was well, she asked about chest pain or discomfort. I had non! So, that was it. She took the needle out and off I went! She told me that at this office they gradually fill your band and expect to be at an optimal fill at about the third fill, three months post op.

The only thing I was disappointed about was that she would not tell me how much Fluid she put in the band. She said that she didn't want her pt's comparing fill levels, so they didn't tell me. I'll be requesting my medical records before my next visit so I can see what she wrote. Silly nurse, doesn't she know I'm entitled to that information!

Anyway, I have certainly noticed a difference. I can't drink as fast. I'm gonna have to slow down the intake for sure. I'm no longer so worried about the fill process. It was quick and easy. Hope this helps all who are wondering.