Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help! Wife is miserable

My wife was banded on Monday, they also took out her gallbladder. She came home late Tuesday. She is weak, can not seem to keep much down. She has been drinking Water, a little broth and a little Jello. She is very emotional and that is not like her. She says she feels like you do when you have a bad case of the flu, weak, tired etc.

any suggestions on what I can do to help? This is the 4th day post op, when will she feel better?

7_5_142.gifHello Dusty...Sorry your wife is having such a hard time. After surgery having some depresion and being week is normal. She had her gallbladder removed at the same time so that is a major thing. Just be patient and make sure she gets up and walking so she doesn't get weaker. It will also help in the healing factor. Also make sure she gets her fluids so she doesn't dehydrate. I will pray that she gets better soon. You are such a gem. Keep up the good work.

sig.jsp?pc=ZSzeb112&pp=ZRxdm609NVUS

I was pretty emotional until about a week out...it is hard when you want comfort food and you can have broth!

Hopefully, she will get over the hump soon! Sending her healing vibes!

Her body is going through a lot of changes right now and there is that thing of the three day blues.

Keep making her sip sip sip and having your for support is the best medicine out there .. She will feel better in a few days but like the other posters I would check with the Dr too .. Keep us updated and prayers are going out for her .

I had gallbladder surgery about 10 years ago and felt the same way. I think it is fairly normal to feel that way. Your body has been through alot and needs to mend and it throughs your emotions out of whack. Make sure she is getting up and doing some walking, do you walk with her? That might help if you are along for her journey. Try to get her involved in a fav. activity or hobby that she can do now. Get her mind off of it! And Pray for her healing! I will be!:teeth_smile:

Dustydog,

Hang in there with her, I agree call the doctor to make sure nothing else is going on.

Just a note, I had my gallbladdeer out 6 months before I had the Lapband. The recover from the gallbladder was much harder then the lapband. Also, the meds used to knock me out made me very depressed and I cried a lot for a couple of days. How weird was that. I never had that happen before.

Again call the doctor to see.

Hang in there it will get better and she might start in on you about your eating habits like I have done to my husband.

Having a major surgery on top of lapband surgery is a big thing. I am sure she is just going through the motions. The medicines usually mess with your feelings too along with the adjusting to life changes.

Call the doctor and just let them know like the others said if its nothing they will tell you and put your mind at ease :teeth_smile:

Have you tried to get your wife outside if the weather is nice. Just let her sit on a chair outside. It always helps my mood if I can get some fresh air and change my surroundings. Also maybe rent her a favorite video. Maybe a nice back or foot massage will help. You are a thoughtful husband who cares about her feelings. You should get major points for that!! Tell her it will get better, just give it time.

Thanks everyone. I told her that the concencous is that this will pass in a day or two. She has been able to drink some flavored water and is keeping that down. I gave her a massage (as best I can) and she is lying down with a heating pad. Seems to be a little better. We agreed to see how things are later this afternoon and if not better we will call the Doc. She says that she just needs some energy, feels drained and I am sure that is normal based on what I have read here. I just hate to see her not feeling good. I think she may be having second thoughts about this whole thing. Have you ever noticed how many ad's there are on TV pertaining to food? I try to change the channel when they come on! I am lucky that I have a job that is letting me work for home a couple of days. I feel better being here with her.

Thanks for the suggestions, I will keep you posted on how she does.

I felt sick like that after having my gallbladder out, I think it's just both surgeries being together, hit her hard. Give it time, keep her comfy and I hope she does better. Good luck, I'll keep you in my thoughts.

I had my gallbladder out in Oct... and it was terrible.. Make sure she is taking her pain meds every 4 hours... I had to do that for the first week and then just mortin during the day and then the heavier drugs at night.....

I had my lap band in May and it was a cinch compared to the gallbladder...So she is such a trooper for having both done at the same time....

Keep giving her Water and add some unflavored Protein to her warm broth to help her to feel stronger....

My most comfortable position after my gall bladder removal was in bed with my head propped up and two pillows under my knees as well...

ohh and kudos to you for being a supportive Hubby and coming here for some help!! Keep it up!

I went through exactly the same thing about 2 months ago when I had my lap band surgery. I had weakness, nausea, depression. On the third day I called my surgeon's nurse and she told me to start drinking Gatorade. I was amazed at how soon I started feeling better once I started drinking it. Please do call the dr. with any concerns and get some Gatorade. I'm 2 months out and feel great!

hi there, how is she doing? I had to have an ultrasound on my gallbladder today for my pre-band stuff. I have to tell you, the way they were talking and had a 3rd person come in and look at the x-rays. They kept saying 'are you SURE you are not having any pain! :teeth_smile:) So, the doctor will read my official know.

Just wanted to see how your wife is doing? I hope she is doing better!!

Sincerley, K.S.