Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Bread vs. low carb tortillas..hard to eat?

It seems like most lapbanders are having problems with eating bread. How about tortillas? Do they seem to cause the same problem as bread? I'd like to make some pizzas using tortillas and am worried that they could cause problems. Thanks for any advice!

I had a tortilla once and it was stuck for HOURS! I didn't PB or slime, but it was the worst pain since being banded I've every felt and the ONLY time I've gotten stuck. :thumbs_up: I haven't eaten one since and don't plan on it int he future!!

But, I can have a teeny piece of bread if I chew real well. Yum!

My doctor told me to toast my bread also and I haven't had any problems except the one time I was starving and my first few bites I didn't chew well.....needless to say I learned my chewing lesson after having that I swallowed a golf ball feeling for a few moments.

In 16 months of being banded, I never PBd until I ate a biscuit. I thought that I was going to die, literally. I don't care much about bread, and I eat an occasional tortilla, usually Mama Lupe's Low-carb tortillas. With 2 grams net carb each, I usually make a pan-fried quesadilla, chew thoroughly, and eat slowly. Otherwise, I suffer for it.:)

oh my gosh! Ive gone to heaven and found friends!

I have not been able to eat any bread or totrilla either and dont know how to replace to craving or find a recipe for a diestible bread.( or mock bread)

If anyone comes up with anything, please share.

I made a mini-pizza with a half pita the other night. It was yummy. The pita was crispy so it made it easy to digest. It went down fine. I made sure that I chewed really well.

Tortillas have been a big check in the no column for me! I used to eat burritos all the time, not anymore.

If you're going to have tortillo's it's better to pan fry them with a tiny spray of PAM. That way they aren't so Gummy. Also, the corn or whole wheat are easier than the flour.

I've had homemade pizza on real crust, in very small amounts and with lots of chewing and mixing it with a salad (alternating bites) it went down fine.

Best of luck!

Barbara

I am able to eat low carb tortillas (make a quesadilla and pan fry without anythhing in the pan, butter or otherwise). That si about it though... two small 8" tortillas with cheese and some sort of meat, chix, turkey, etc.

Anyway... I cannot speak for most, but I can say that a couple times a week I may do this... but that is about as far as I try to push it (unless, on the rare occasion, I will have some chips and queso or salsa), but again, probably not more than 10 or so chips before I am done for the night (although a margarita goes along way to making the 10 chips more enjoyable :party: not healthy, i know, and not on plan with not eating and drinking at the samee time... but WTH... sometimes, ya just gotta do it... for sanity sake!

Hi all - just banded on July 29 - feeling better today but am pretty hungry most of the time. Not eating more than yogurt right now but in anticipation of working up to solid food would some one please spell out for me exactly what a "PB" is and what is "sliming" - it seems this is like regurgitating up food but not clear. What does one do when either happens? How long does an attack of each last and what are best strategies to get through them? Read earlier someone said they used pineapple juice and given the enzymes in this fruit maybe these help "dissolve"?? Thanks for input. I believe forewarned is forearmed!

""PB" is "productive burping," a nice way of saying hacking up stuck food. "Sliming" is when you hack up the excessive amounts of mucus that the stomach generates when something gets stuck in the opening. Neither one is very comfortable or pleasant. I'm not trying to be brutal, but whoever mentioned the juice is nuts. Nothing helps but time. The best thing to do is follow the guidelines. I'm two and a half years post-op and can't eat things like cooked egg, sausage, and starches, but some folks can. Follow your doc's plan, don't try to speed up the healing process, and by trial and error, you'll find out what works for you. The better you are at following the Bandster rules, the happier you'll be in the future.

Thank goodness I can eat any bread product and the low carb/high Fiber tortillas are a staple of my diet (it's hard to get enough fiber in when you're a bandster)

:biggrin: Love my surgeon and my band.