Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

When did you know that you could eat that or you could not????

I am very new to this site as well as my surgery. I was banded on the 6th of June, so I am only out 3 days now, but the thought of food is making me really uneasy. These last 3 days was probally the hardest to overcome (because I have never had to go through any medical procedure before, so this was enough). My doctor has me on liquids for the first 2 weeks, then we are allowed to eat soft foods like deli ham, lean ground meat, roast cooked in a crock pot (pretty much anything that can be broken with a fork) I am so looking forward for those days!!! But I have read that some people just can't tolerate some foods? What do you know you can and what you can't??

I am from Louisiana and we eat boiled seafood often, is that allowed? Has anyone been able to tolerate that?

What about resturant eating? How do you know you will be able to tolerate foods that you have eaten before you band? I don't want to be in the resturant and not be able to tolerate the food I ordered? Like burrito (misspelled) torts? chips and salsa? pizza? chicken and angel hair Pasta?

I know that this is a ton of information but I decided on the band to limit my food, not stop me from eating it..... Any advice......

Guest Leslie2Lose

Jess, I think it is a trial and error process. I have been on regular foods for a couple weeks now and the only thing I can't handle is scrambled eggs. If I eat meats (like grilled chicken, steak, pork) I make sure I dunk it in something so it doesn't get stuck.

I get my first fill this Friday and am planning on a trial and error process once I get some more restriction.

I know the first six weeks is crucial to healing. I know after my first week on full liquids I was ready to scream. I was doing well, so my doctor moved me up to mushies. Your doctor should be able to tell you what you can have an when.

Today I hate a burrito for lunch and had a couple of tortilla chips and salsa. It was yummy!

It is all trial and error.

I can eat shrimp, but just barely and only cause I'm not tightly restricted.

bread is not so good, either.

You may need to give up some foods and it will be so worth it. I think you might discover that your attitude toward food will change.

You can always stick with Soup, refried Beans, etc. when you go out until you have a handle on safe foods.

Luckily my surgeon provided me with a list of the foods that are "generally not well tolerated" before my surgery.

By this time, I can put something in my mouth and chew a few times and then know automatically whether I should 'send it down' or not (is it clumping, veiny, etc). I'm VERY VERY careful when eating lunch with my coworkers or eating out.

Some things that were on the "not tolerated" list, like Pasta, I tolerate very very well (also chips, crackers, salsa) but other foods like cocktail sauce is not on my list--and it was wretched going down!

You'll get to know just by imagining the consistency of some foods whether you should try them or not--it just takes time.

The very best to you... :biggrin:

So Seafood is not too much of a problem for most people. Fish is soft and good for you. I am from Lousiana and I eat so much crawfish and shrimp. It's my fav.

Now steak and such is harder make sure you chew really well. Really really well with small bites.

bread or anything bread like that expands in the pouch is painful

100 % trail and error! When you find that error you don't trail it again lol but really whatever you eat just remember to chew it to a paste, and truthfully some days you may not be able to tolerate something but do just fine with it another.

God-luck to you!

But I have read that some people just can't tolerate some foods? What do you know you can and what you can't??

I PB if it doesnt settle with me.

I am from Louisiana and we eat boiled seafood often, is that allowed? Has anyone been able to tolerate that?

Yes, seafood goes down nicely since it is so soft. It is good for you.

What about resturant eating? How do you know you will be able to tolerate foods that you have eaten before you band? I don't want to be in the resturant and not be able to tolerate the food I ordered? Like burrito (misspelled) torts? chips and salsa? pizza? chicken and angel hair Pasta?

I just eat slowly to see if it will go down. With good restriction I just can't eat much.

I usually give any food 2 times. If I get stuck with a particular food two times, then I do my best to avoid it in the future. You will probably have to wait until you start getting some restriction to see what will work for you and what will not.

I have found if I go VERY slowly with any new food, it allows me to find out how it is going, and if it is going to be a problem, then I do not have much of an issue, because I was going slowly.

I am over 2 years out now, and have very few foods I do not eat---and of those, I CAN eat most of them, but they are not something worth the issues of eating them.

When I began the process of figuring out food, and even now if I am feeling tight, I do this....

Cut my food up in very small bites.

One piece at a time, chewed to oblivion!

Then put my fork down, and wait...wait a full 2-3 minutes, it sounds quicker than it feels when you are waiting! But see how it feels in your stomach---if it feels as though it settled without issue, try another bite, and wait!

If it is the first time I tried something known to be a trigger for some people, say rice....I would limit myself to 4-6 bites, and be done with it, in case it "reacted".

The times I had nasty PB's I did not do this!!! The worst by far, come one day when we grabbed a donut, I ate 2 bites, probably way too big, but also way too fast, and not chewed properly, and before you know it, it felt like I had eaten a dozen donuts!!! My mouth was quickly filling with saliva---that kept getting thicker, and more kept forming, to the point I could not swallow any more, there was not anymore room, and it began to make me gag, and eventually it all come up, donut, and lots of slime---not pleasant at all!!! It totally turned me off of donuts!!!

Another time, I was shopping with my granddaughter, and bought her some popcorn chicken, and popped a piece in my mouth without thinking, and reverted to old habits, chewed a couple of times and swallowed. About half way down I realized!!! Sure enough, when the sliming began, I just headed to the stores bathroom, to toss it all!!!

Slow......well chewed bites, and allow yourself time to gauge how your stomach feels....and stop before you think you are full. If you wait until you feel full, when your stomach begins digesting, the saliva required for digestion, can be all it takes to make you overfull, then you will PB.....and it will have nothing to do with the food you ate----it will be due to eating too much.

It sounds more difficult than it is. You just have to learn to listen to your own body, and stop early. If you become starved feeling later you can have a bite or 2 of something, but always try to stop with just enough, never over fill your pouch. And chew, chew, chew!!!

Following these rules, I can eat all sorts of food, and yet have managed to lose my weight.

I have never had a PB that caught me off guard, and was immediate, I always feel them coming, and can get to the restroom.

Good Luck----be sure to follow your post op diet and it will be over sooner than you think!!!

Kat

Before I had restriction I could pretty much eat anything and everything, I just chose not to eat the bad stuff. But now, being at my sweetspot I have problems with scrambled eggs, dried beef jerkey, and doughy breads. I've even tried Sushi and not had a problem with that. Oh, and chips and salsa and shrimp go down REALLY nice. You have to chew that shrimp up real good though. My friend got a chunk of shrimp stuck in her for a LONGGG time. I've never PB'ed either, but I've had some sliming incidents (not alot, but some). I always keep a half cup of coffee or tea near me when I have good restriction just in case I slime I can spit in the cup and nobody can tell what I'm doing because it's in the coffee cup. I've only had to do that twice.. once on scrambled dry eggs and once on a bite of chicken tender that was too breaded (at a restaurant). But, yeah, it's just trial and error. Somebody said they try it twice and if it still doesn't work they avoid the food.. that's about my limit too. I did try scrambled eggs 3 times and finally learned my lesson on those...

I only felt restriction for one week after my first fill... with the second fill I felt NOTHING... I didn't feel any real restriction until my third fill. BUT, everybody is different. Some don't even need fills or they just need one or two.. your band size makes a difference. But, for the most part, I would say most people say after the third fill. Which is why it's a lot of self control the first few months. Basically any weight you lose the first month is a blessing and the second month gets a little better...