Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Trying To Figure This Out ????

I was banded on June 21/07, and am nearing my bandiversary. Unfortunately I might add ... I have lost only 44lbs, and a difficult 44 I might add. For some, that might be a great milestone, however for me, it is not. I came into this believing that 100lbs in a year was achievable. Um .... if I do the math, I'm a little off from 100. Anyway, looking over the last year, and all of the challenges that I faced, I guess all I can do it learn from those situations, and go forward. That is exactly what I plan to do. So, for all you bandsters who have any advice, have at er. I'm ready for whatever you got.

I like to be tight. I tend to stay very restricted. My caloric intake would average at around 700-800 calories a day. That is good for me. Focusing on Proteins, and then filling up with a bit of everything. Even though I am quite restricted, I am able to eat numerous times throughout the day. As long as I eat VERY slowly, and just a little at a time. I believe I have this part down ... not to say I don't cheat and enjoy the odd milkshake or pudding, but I know what I need to eat to make this work.

My problem is THIS ... I do NOT excercise at all. Not one little bit. I get up in the morning, head to work where I sit at my desk for 8 hours, and I come home. That's it. No suprises, no variety. The same thing day in and day out. Now I know that excersice is important, but tell me ... is it absolutely necessary ... Is that what I am missing in trying to figure this out? How many people actually excersice faithfully, and please ... tell me ... how many people were right where I am, and found sucess with excercising. I really want to know if any of you were sitting stagnant like I, started to excercise, and found that the weight started to come off.

I have never excercised in my life, and obviously it contributed to why I was banded in the first place. Tell me please, where do I start. And what do I do. Do I do 100 sit-ups each night, and run on the spot for 20 minutes, and do 50 jumping jacks? I might mention that I have the most beautiful $1000.00 treadmill sitting in my basement collecting dust. What do I do ... walk for 20 minutes ... try to run, and last 30 seconds? PLEASE PEOPLE ... help me out here. PLEASE!:tongue2:

I am in no way an expert in this field, lol, but I know my husband and a group of his workmates go outside and walk during their lunch hours and I guess it's their way of getting in some exercise during the day, getting out of the office and relieving some stress.

I have a treadmill in the basement too, which is a good place for it because it's colder down there but getting on it can be a jaunting task. I'm sure there are a lot of people here who can get you back on track again, that's what they're here for! good luck brandyII.

As you said you've never exercised, you should start slowly. Walking for 20 minutes (if that seems too much, start with 10-15 minutes) a day for a couple of weeks, then each week increase that by 5 minutes. I do know how difficult it is to find the motivation, I've been there/am there most days.

Gradually, add five minutes of running, until you can start increasing that. But, always remember to drink plenty of Water, even on the treadmill. If your body doesn't have enough Water, it will start to take water from your joints first, which leads to sore knees, ankles, etc.

I grew up despising any exercise, until I was introduced to body building. I loved it, as a tomboy and one who doesn't fit in well with girls, i am more competitive with guys, so a traditional "male" exercise was enjoyable to me. That was several years ago, I gained all my weight and several more back and have been ashamed of myself ever since for falling out of it. I have an expensive weight system in the other room, collecting dust. Now that I am banded, I still feel i'm too big to use it, am too embarrassed, even though its only my family in the house. I am trying to do cardio, to burn the fat and lose more weight before i eventually add the weights back into my lifestyle. But that motivation can be very difficult to find.

Due to lack of motivation to get up off my butt, I am like you with restriction, in fact I'm scheduled for another fill Saturday. I know what I need to do-get up off my butt! I was riding a bike with my daughter in the evenings, but here the temperature is already up to 100-110 degrees, even in the evenings, which makes the thought of doing anything physical outside unbearable.

Just remember to start slowly, but once you start don't give up! (Now i'll try to take my own advise too) :tongue2:

I have been banded for 7 months and have only lost 35 lbs so far, so I'm not exactly the right person to give advice but here goes. I am not fully restricted yet so I am able to eat more than I should so for me walking 50-55 minutes almost every day has helped me maintain my loss because it would be so easy to put it back on with the way I am eating. I would say that if you are only eating 800 calories a day then the weight should fall off if you start exercising. As Newhope said, even start with 10 minutes a day or maybe even twice a day. Before you know it, you will find yourself getting fitter and walking longer. Brandy's right, lunch time walks are a good idea as well. About 13 years ago I decided to get fit by walking every day and I ended up losing 37 lbs in about 6 months or so and I didn't even go on a diet. Give it a go, you've got nothing to lose except weight !! :tongue2:

:smile:Dust that treadmill off and hop on! I do my tready 30-45 minutes a day! I prop my laptop up and go to town! The time flies by! It takes a little cordination though. Exercise is the key. Once you get into a routine it comes easy! Think positive and go for it! Good luck.

-Dawn (Minnesota):tongue2:

i do think exercise is key, but i enjoy my daily workouts....i can see where if it's not something you care for, to struggle getting started. but just start - walking is the easiest, set small goals and try to increase each wk. 2 months post op i found the couch 2 5k thread here, and started running - i'm not a "runner" and struggle with those in my training sessions; however that program got me serious about cardio/weight training.

you might surprise yourself what activity you enjoy, could be tennis - biking - swimming; finding somethng you like is key to doing it on a consistent basis.

i knew with my metabloism & a few health issues that i had to incorporate exercise into this process; i believe it's helped tremendously in getting the scale to move in the right direction for a change - downward.

good luck!!

First, I have to say I haven't been banded, so this is theoretical. :tongue2:

Are you keeping a food log? If you aren't, I really think it would help you to do that. Even without exercise, you are not eating very many calories, so there may be something in your diet that is slowing down your progress. Also, if continue to not lose, and you talk to your doctor, you'll have your daily food intake readily available.

Next, please get up 15 minutes early (if this is possible) and do ten minutes on the treadmill. When you get home from work, go another ten or take a ten minute walk. Work to increase these segments every week, until you're up to 30 minutes per day (although, more is better, within reason). Like soobydoo said, if you have something to help pass the time while you're on the treadmill, the faster the time will pass.

After you increase your time, be sure and increase your speed, and vary your routine so you don't get into a boring rut. If you have a heart monitor, try to keep your heart rate up, as long as that's within your doctor's recommendations. Also, you can add some muscle building excercise as you feel comfortable.

Good luck!! Keep us posted on your progress.

I am not yet banded so can only tell you what I have read that others have said. Somewhere on here is a nutrition thread where quite a few people say they stopped losing weight when they consumed 800 calories a day - the solution was to consume 1000 - 1200. They did that and started losing again. Again, I am no expert but it might be worth talking to your doctor about.

I am not yet banded so can only tell you what I have read that others have said. Somewhere on here is a nutrition thread where quite a few people say they stopped losing weight when they consumed 800 calories a day - the solution was to consume 1000 - 1200. They did that and started losing again. Again, I am no expert but it might be worth talking to your doctor about.

i forgot to mention the calorie consumption - brown bears' statement hold true for me. i will not loose if i don't consume 1000-1200 calories per day, anything less & the weightloss stalls.

i also journal my food each day - might be a good idea to do for a while & possibly reach out to a nutritionist to give you some advise.

Hmmmmm....

I'm like you. Restriction (inability to eat too much) was how I lost the weight. If you can eat alot of food- even junk... you may not be as restricted as you think. Meaning, what you think is restriction may not be to someone else.

I was banded the day before you, last year. I started at over 200 and am at 137.

No exercising either.

Get a check on your restriction.

How many bites can you eat?

Exercise is great for getting things moving again. It is hard to get started but if you build it into your routine it starts working for you. You can start with walking on the treadmill while you are watching a program. Perhaps it needs to come up out of the basement where it is too easily forgotten.

I also agree that 800 calories may be too little. However, how do you know for certain that is your range? You should try to do some journaling, even when you cheat, to get a better idea of what your daily ranges are.

I am working with the Beaumont Weight Control center in the Detroit area. They are very thorough, and the best thing they did for me was give me a pedometer, and tell me to shoot for 10,000 steps per day. This way each morning I take a quick note on my palm pilot of my morning weight and the number of steps from yesterday. I've been tracking it on a spreadsheet, and while I have been pretty faithful to the initial diet (I'm not banded or on pre-op liquids yet) I can definitely see from the trends that days of high exercise lead to big drops in weight, while days with lower activity result in minimal weight loss. I think my body is very clever at trying to maintain or increase my weight, even when the calorie count has dropped. Adding exercise helps keep the metabolism up and lets the pounds come off.

So I heartily recommend getting a pedometer. You'll be able to see how a normal inactive day only results in a couple thousand steps, yet mowing the lawn, or vacuming the house gives you a couple thousand boost. I like to ride my bike, and I clip the pedometer on my shoe, since it doesn't register anything if it is on my hip. If you shoot for having a few 10,000 step days per week, with most days over 5,000, you may see some improved weight loss.

I am 9 1/2 mos post op and have dropped 125 lbs (haven't updated my ticker). I am by far no expert, but when the surgeon told me pre op that exercise was just as important as diet to losing weight afterwards, I took him at his word.

2 days post op I started walking around the neighborhood only. I would only make it a few blocks due to still recovering, but I did it. After 1 week, I started hitting the gym to go on the treadmill once a day, every day. As I started feeling more and more sure, I upped the times and the speed. After 2 wks (drs time table), I started back into lifting weights.

I would agree with previous posters that 800 calories may not be enough. I do at least 60 minutes pretty much every morning on the elliptical and/or treadmill and burn over 1000 calories alone there. 4 nights a week, I lift weights. I ride my bike at home around the neighborhood. If I don't feed my body, I stall on weight loss. You need food to survive. If you don't give it enough, you won't lose weight.

Not saying to go pig out of food. Just make sure you are getting enough of the good foods.

On a sidenote: I don't believe you have to be super tight/restricted for this tool to work for you. Just my $.02 worth.

I completely agree, Ceredad. I think that will power and good choices are crucial. I look at my band as a maintenance tool.

I exercise too and I do the 10,000 steps. Some days I go to the gym and some days I just go shopping and walk around the air conditioned stores as quickly as possible. At the grocery store, once my cart is filled and take a quick turn or two around the store to give me a few steps.

Exercise also is helpful to your mental state. If you can get to the point that endorphins are released you'll feel rewarded.:behindsofa:

If you're doing as well as you say you are with the food part and restriction all I can say is........ Shock your system with a walk.

I guarantee that if you either get on that tredmill or if you go for a walk around the neighborhood after a week or so you're going notice probably 3 things.

1) You feel more fit even if you dont do alot of exercise you feel better right away

2) lose weight

3) You will be slightly firmer and clothes fit different.

As I tell my kids all the time..... Get up and move :behindsofa:

I go to the gym and do 3.25 miles on the treadmill then I come home and ride 1-3 miles on my bike. Eventually I want to be doing 5+ miles on the treadmill.