Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Post Surgery check in here

Thanks for sharing your adventures, long2bthin, cathychatts & hunzi. You all sound like your on the path to a great recovery. Your stories really ease my nervousness about what's about to happen. knowledge is power as they say!

greythope & julesk - wishing you both a easy time - I'm sandwiched right between you both on Thursday. I look forward to hearing how you made out.

Congratulations to all Jazzy Junes who are on the other side of their surgery - and to all those who are coming up this month - my thoughts are with you and good luck!:thumbup:

I raise my (protein) drink to all us Jazzy Junes!

I'm home and banded too. I just had my surgery yesterday. Here's my story:

I arrived back home from the hospital a little after 9pm last night.

K took me to the hospital yesterday and we arrived a little before noon. They took me quickly to the pre-op area and made me put on one of those lovely gowns. After about 30 minutes the nurse came in and took my vitals and also informed us that they were running a little bit behind schedule. She said that I could probably expect to go back at 3:45 instead of my scheduled 2pm. K and I wound up watching a lot television. We watched TLC A Baby Story a couple of times and CNN the rest of the time. Eventually, the anesthesiologist and my surgeon and his assistance came in to see us. They apologized for running behind, but they assured me that they’d get to me.

So, about 5:15, they came and got me and sent K to wait in the waiting room. I don’t remember much except scooting over to the operating table and them strapping some boots to my legs that started squeezing them. After that, I woke up in the recovery room where they told me that I’d gotten a little nauseous. Everything was still very blurry…literally…at that point, but I did start coming out of the anesthesia quite nicely after I got some morphine. I think I wasn’t expecting quite that much pain at first. Things started moving pretty quickly after they gave me some sips of Water. I got sent down for an upper GI series of X-rays to make sure that everything was in working order. I stayed down there about 30 minutes drinking some nasty chalky stuff and getting my “picture” taken every 10 minutes or so. Then, they took me back to the recovery room where I got dressed and went to the restroom for the nurse. My X-ray results were read and came back fine so they called K and asked him to pull the car around front. The next thing I know, I was in the car and headed home. We arrived here about 9:15ish.

I immediately came and lay down on the bed with a heating pad against my biggest and most sore incision where the port is located. I also managed to sip a few teaspoons of broth and a get down a few sips of watered down Gatorade. Everything is tasting too sweet or salty. I was up and down about every hour last night taking a sip of Water, walking around, and going to the restroom. I still am very bloated from the surgical gas that they pumped me full of and K has been super sweet about rubbing my back to help me burp it out.

We’re going to get out today to go pick up some Protein bullets at GNC and run a few other errands. I think the walking will help me a lot. It feels much better laying down on my side or back or up walking than it does in any other position. I’m still feeling like I did about 1,000 sit ups and am very sore. My throat is still a little scratchy from the tube as well, but overall I’m recovering nicely. I’m not filling my pain medication prescription, just making due with liquid Tylenol and Gas X.

Glad To Have The Thread. I Also Was Having Trouble Finding Replies To Answer Them.. Thanks.. I Will Be Banded Tomorrow. 8;30, Be There At 5:30am.. Good Luck To Everyone. Jdrocks226

Hello everyone!

Just wanted to share my story with everyone....

I was banded on Friday, June 6th. I was scheduled to have surgery at 11:30 and it didn't happen until 4:00 pm. It was a good morning... sitting around waiting with my family and just talking. The hospital staff was really good and kept coming in to check with me to see if I needed anything. I would joke and ask them to bring me a cheese burger because I was starving and the laughed and said they would get right on it. (I'm still waiting for the cheesburger).

On to surgery... they finally come to take me to pre-op area and once there they started asking me question... letting me go to the restroom one last time... Dr. Garth came in and talked to me. IV was put in and let me tell you... 5 days out and it still HURTS! After sitting in pre-op for about 30 mins... it was finally MY TURN! I said my farewells to my cheeseburgers and fries (since I knew that I wouldn't be having any of those for some time) and my family and was wheeled away. I don't remember much after getting my 'happy medicine'... I remember having to move off of the bed they wheeled me in to the operating table...they put a gas mask on me and all I remember was a nurse waking me up in the recovery room. Once I was settled in my room and awake... I got up to use the restroom and walked around. On a scale of 1 - 10... my pain was about a 2. I had very little to no pain. I was taken to do my swallow test and came back and walked somemore. I was on my way home about 10:30 that night. I was given pain medicine but I have only used it once. I haven't had much gas pain (thank goodness), I still haven't opened my box of Gas-X strips. I've lost a total of 13 lbs since my pre-op appt on 05/29/08 and hope the losing continues. I started on mushies today and it's been GREAT!

My port incision has been my most difficult one. Very sore and sometimes painful but nothing Tylenol can't handle. Today has been easier for me to get up and down from the sofa/chair and in and out of the bed. I almost feel normal (except that I can't bend, lift and am still 'weak') I'm going back to work tomorrow for a couple of hours...I know I won't make the whole day so I'm starting back light.

To all of you who have surgeries comeing up... GOOD LUCK to you all! It's really been a good experience and I'm so glad that I'm on the BANDSTER side!

I think I am finally turning the corner. :lol:

At first I thought "What a breeze!":biggrin:

And then the Band "hell" :cursing:started to set in! I was hungry to chew something. :glare: The smell of food starved me to death! I hurt and couldn't take the pain meds, cause of the codine. :tongue2:

All I wanted to do was sleep and I slept a lot!:sleep:

I had the runs and had to trot to the toliet every time is got into the bed.:smile:

The stuff I could have was either too sweet or too salty. I thought I was doomed!:blink:

The only thing I managed to do was update the June Bug list and post a bit on here.:cool2:

Then came a new day! :smile2:I got up--prayed a bunch! I fixed myself a Muscle Milk shake and started moving more. :wink2:I have been moving all along, but this time it was easier.

I am also not hungry anymore! :mellow:I have set a timer to remind me to eat!

Yesterday, I even took my GS to the music store and Wal Mart. I am teaching him to play the clarinet, so I gave him a lesson! :wub:

If any of you are like me and having trouble, :thumbup:keep the faith! It does pass. :ohmy:

I tried hard to always stay up-beat on here and not talk about the bad part, but now I think others may need to be "real"! :whatchutalkingaboutThere really is a "Bandsters Hell" :eek: part for some of us!

But it does pass. I wanted to post this, thinking some may feel like "something is wrong with them" if it all wasn't a piece of cake!:crying: "walk in the park." I am sure there will be hard days :scared2:and easy days! :thumbup: I plan to take this journey one day at a time! It is a new life for me and I plan to enjoy it! Good luck to all of us! :thumbup:

Hey Cathy, Can relate to the smell of food and the hunger kicking in. I am on day 8 of my pre-op diet. We live on a farm and I cook three scare meals a day for the hired help. Yesterday I was cooking something that smelled sooooooooooo good. My stomach started talking and I started to drool like my black lab when he is offered a treat!

Happy to hear things are settling down some for you. You have the right attitude about sharing your story. We all need to hear what we might be in for.

Cathy,

Something similar happened to me. Days 1-4 post op were going fairly well. However yesterday, day 5, it was like I hit a wall. I felt awful, backache and so tired and whoozey, plus I got a yeast infection in my mouth (thrush) which made trying to drink something feel weird. I called the nurse she got me an RX for the thrush and that started helping by the 2nd dose. She also gave me the ok to have some scrambled eggs last night. I never knew eggs could taste so good after 8 days of clears. Today is like a new day. And I have a busy one. Knee dr. this morning, then post op with my surgeon this afternoon and 2 nutrition classes on how to eat with my band at the hospital after that. My daughter is going with me in case I gt to feeling yucky and she can drive and be a 2nd set of ears.

My surgery went as scheduled at 8:00AM on Monday morning. No problems or much discomfort to speak of. Except my potassium was low and they had to feed me some through the IV, that burned like hell and made my arm swell up. They kept me overnight, did the swallow test and x-ray in the morning and kept me through to lunch to make sure I could get the Cream of chicken Soup down. All went well and I was released at 2PM. I've had no pain or gas and am mostly just tired. Actually started pulling some weeds from the garden last night and got yelled at by my daughter; really shouldn't have been bending. So for now I am off work for 3 weeks and have my follow up on June 25th. I'm so relived that all has gone well up until now and hoping I don't hit that Band Hell some of you have spoke of. Could really go for a cup of coffee though. Am feeling the caffeine withdrawal headaches. Well that's all for now. Time for my Lab to take me for a walk.

Hey guys! I'm finally home also. I was banded monday morning and it went pretty much like everyone elses exept they informed me that morning they were going to intibate me awake. I never want to do that fiasco again. I'm pretty sore but the codiene is helping. I spent 2 nights in the hospital because they wanted to make sure I had enough liquids in me. I had my surgery at a military hospital and they aren't known for their speed. My hats off to you guys that came home same day. There's no way I could've done that. I was trying to hang on to that morphine pump as long as I could! I'm a big baby! Anyway, glad to hear so many are doing well.

Hi, I was banded 6/9/08. I can't seem to drink anything but Water, I don't feel hungry and the thought of drinking anything but water gets me nauseous. I'm still in a little pain and take Tylenol. I just generally don't feel well. I had to fast the day before my surgery so I haven't had solid food for over 2 weeks (liquid pre-op diet) and haven't eaten anything of value for 4 days. Hope tomorrow I can drink a Protein Shake. Any advice?

I just had to post my excitement. I went in for my post op visit and I lost 9 more lbs in 6 days!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm getting darn close to the 30 lb. mark already!!!!!! :thumbs_up::frown:

My surgery is tomorrow. I am very excited. Not too worried about the pain, just the pre-surgery anxiety. I figure if it hurts that's what the pain meds are for :biggrin:

My big worry is caffeine withdrawal. As I type this I have just finished a cup of coffee. I wonder how bad it would hurt?! I don't if I could take the headache of no caffeine. We'll see though. Maybe I will just dope myself up through the pain lol! Send me the left over codeine Syrup laides!!:teeth_smile:

I'm here, too! I would write more, but the dang gas pain in my shoulder feels brutal and I just want to move around. Hope everyone is doing better!!

Lizzard, I know how you feel. I had a hard time too. I also was banded on Monday and have really done nothing but walk the apartment and slept. I have to say though, that I also felt nausea when thinking of anything but plain Water, but then I tried a sip or two of CIB and it REALLY helped a lot! Also, the warm beef broth feels good too. Maybe just try to get down a sip or two and see how you feel. I think it might make you feel better. Did they give you suppositories for nausea? I did that once too and that helped. Good luck! Hang in there.

Today was originally supposed to be my surgery date, instead I am one week post op. I'm doing pretty good except for a few minor issues. It seems I get a really dizzy nauseous spell about once a day. I just tried some scrambled eggs but only ate about half an egg. I got a discomfort in my back a while after I finished. I'm wondering if this is my full feeling? Or is it still the gas? Also the thrush in my mouth is beginning to go away. If I do okay on my scrambled eggs, refried Beans, or s/f pudding today, tomorrow I get to add some more soft foods. My only complaint is this whoozy feeling. I am wondering if maybe it's my b/p going to low? I take an RX for it.

Glad all the JuneBugs are reporting in, it's been great to read!