Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Post Surgery check in here

Gratz on 2week anniversry Cathy. Glad your on solids now. Just FYI that restriction might go away in the next week or so. Your stomach is still mildly swollen for a few more weeks. So you will get looser. However, at least you know what some restriction is like and know that it will help you.:smile:

solid food def. makes a big difference. I was allowed to start on them 10 days post op which meant yesterday was my first day. I did learn NOT to drink anything after eating since it def. caused the solid to go through - and all the way through. I got sick and I was not happy.

I felt some fullness on liquids but I def feel it on the solids. I have a hard time taking so long to eat such a small qty. (I use a 2 oz cup to put my food in). Having two toddlers, I am used to rushing to eat and it's just not normal to me yet to take my time.

Cathy - THANK YOU so much for telling me about those New whey Protein bullets. I finally found them at a different GNC and I love them. I got Grape, pour it over some yummy Sonic ice (they have the best ice), add some Water and then sip on that. I know I'm getting lots of liquids and 42 gm. of Protein at once. Woo Hoo!!! The GNC guy was nice and sold me the box for $30 even though it was normally $38ish for the 12. Seems like a high price still, but when you don't want to keep drinking the other Protein shakes, it's well worth it! And I can take them on the road and not keep them cold. Yeah!!!

Well my surgery was Tuesday and I'm feeling better (finally feel like being on the computer). My surgery wasn't until 4:45pm and I was home before 10:00pm. Talk about an in and out surgery...it definitely made the first 24 hours hard, but I'm feeling better. I had a hietal hernia that they repaired (I didn't know I had it). I've definitely been hurting, but with each day it has gotten better. I'm getting tired of the artificial sweetner taste, and am going to try some V8 fruit fusion with Protein Powder. We'll hope I like it :rolleyes2: I know I need to get my Protein in, but also know that all the artificial sweetner is sending my stomach over the edge. I have had the gas pain in my shoulder since I woke up in recovery. Hope all of my fellow June 17th bandsters are doing well! Best wishes to everyone who is at home recovering!!!

Well my surgery was Tuesday and I'm feeling better (finally feel like being on the computer). My surgery wasn't until 4:45pm and I was home before 10:00pm. Talk about an in and out surgery...it definitely made the first 24 hours hard, but I'm feeling better. I had a hietal hernia that they repaired (I didn't know I had it). I've definitely been hurting, but with each day it has gotten better. I'm getting tired of the artificial sweetner taste, and am going to try some V8 fruit fusion with Protein powder. We'll hope I like it :rolleyes2: I know I need to get my Protein in, but also know that all the artificial sweetner is sending my stomach over the edge. I have had the gas pain in my shoulder since I woke up in recovery. Hope all of my fellow June 17th bandsters are doing well! Best wishes to everyone who is at home recovering!!!

Glad to hear your OK. I sure am glad I have to stay in the hospital overnight. I think I would freak out if I had to go home and sleep unattended that first night :rolleyes2:

From what I hear alot of people have a hietal hernias. Its just most people don't have surgeries to fix them because usually they don;t bother them. However, since the surgeon is working right there anyways they go ahead and fix them.

Today I celebrated my two week anniversary also. I saw my doc for my postop check and he was pleased with my progress. I'm keeping up with my Protein which I really believes help stave off the hunger pangs. I am eating mostly soft foods. Tonight however, I had a small piece of steak. I chewed it really well and ate very slowly. It really did taste good! I also love the New Whey Protein bullets. I bought the orange flavored and like to fix it like a hi-ball. On the rocks with a little bit of Water mixed with it. I go for my first fill in 4 weeks.

I am returning to work on Monday. My doc told me yesterday that he does not consider me healed for 6 weeks. He said not to do anything that causes an increase in intrabdominal pressure.

It's been great hearing everyone's stories and I am so thankful to God that everyone is doing well.

Good luck to each of you who have not had your surgery yet. I am praying for each of you.

God's Blessings,

Susan

Hi all, my name is addy, I had my surgery on June 6, 08. I also had a hiatal hernia repair. I am eating soft foods, and chewing everything! I go to dr. tomorrow for my 2 wk check up, they cx my appt. last week and changed it to tomorrow. I am soooo sore around my port site. Does this still hurt any of you? I was bruised so bad there. I also learned something the hard way, you all may know but I had HORRIBLE gas on the 3rd day and my husband was going to take me to the hospital, I was dry heaving air. With all the slim fast and then surgery with warm Water, I had nothing to push the air down. My nutritionist suggested glycerin suppositories. WOW!!! I want to tell anyone and everyone to use them. The relief was immediate!

I would like to know about the whey bullets???? I don't like milk and that Protein shake whey stuff is really nasty to me. Those bullets sound good, poured over Water. What are they called and is GNC the only place to get them?

Thank you for any help and congrats and good luck to all

p.s. where and how do you put your surgery date and get those timelines??

addy

Protein bullets can also be found at Vitamin Shoppe and Vitamin World.

At the right of your screen, find 'edit profile'. In there, go to edit signature. That is where you put whatever you want. In LapBand Talk Forum Frequently Asked Questions is a section about how to do the ticker and the instructions are very good.

Where do you get glycerin suppositories? I have never heard of that.

Thanks so much for the info. What are the bullets actually called?

The glycerin suppositories are at any pharmacy. I got mine at Wal-Mart, about $5 for 100. They are a miracle, or at least they were for me. They are just "little" waxy like suppositories. Dr.'s office had told me do not take a laxative because it would make it worse when I did start have a BM again, these are just perfect allow gas out, without making colon dependent, and gas hurts alot less going down than up.

Let me know how your surgery goes,

would do it again!!

addy

Hello all you June bandsters! I was banded on June 20! I checked in at 7:00 a.m., was brought right back. They weighed me and I was so excited I had lost 22 pounds since i had started preop diet. Then came the Iv had to be stuck twice..fun. then a shot in the belly.. I was so excited not nervous at all until they came for me and had to hug my hubby goodbye.. i got choked up but was fine..went to the back and it was nice and cold. They gave me some meds in my iv to relax me and that's all i remember. I woke up in alot of pain and kept asking to walk since i had read on here that the gas was what caused the pain. They gave me a little bit of meds and I was up walking.. went to the bathroom and checked out my tummy. I was surprised how big one of the scars was like the size of my ring finger. The others are tiny.. no stiches.. looked like glue.. very cool. I was given the option to stay overnight and we had booked a hotel room close to the hospital and all I wanted was to go lie down with my hubby.. so by 1:00 p.m. same day we were on our way to the hotel.. I had some trouble with feeling like i needed to vomit but had burping.. it was pretty violent and scary but over quickly.. Honestly the gas pain was the worst. Only pain in my belly no shoulder pain. I took maalox and gas x strips.. they definetly helped. I still as of today have a little gas pain but I am feeling better and walking as much as possible. I definetly won't be at work till monday. I just couldn't do it.. Yesterday I tried a little yogurt and some cream of butternut squash strained. It went down ok and today i had two teaspoons of yogurt and half a strawberry Atkins shake.. so far so good. I can't stand the taste of the isopure.. it makes me gag which really hurts.. so I am trying to get Protein elsewhere. I am so glad i did it and am down a total of 29 pounds since post op diet started. Good luck to all who are getting it done! I am very happy I did it. I am a self payer but found it worth every penny I have spent. I saw a article today that said women who have bypass or banding done cut their cancer rate for ovarian and breast cancer by 80% with the surgery and losing the weight.. $17,800 just to cut my cancer rate by 80% is worth it but to also add years to my life, be healthy.. save the 10 dollars a day i was spending on lunch the going out for dinner etc.. This surgery was the best way I have ever spent my money! xoxo

For those who have access to costco www.costco.com - they have a Weider Quick2sip whey Protein (10 fruit punch and 10 mango) - each has 15 grams of Protein - cost is $21.69 plus s/h.

I am scheduled for 6/30 and figure I need to get on the ball and go invest in items such as these to get through the first few weeks!! I really appreciated reading the post op threads for loads of great suggestions!!! Can't wait to be able to share little tid bits that help me along the way as well.

~Tai

Hi all, went to first post op visit yesterday. Said everything looking good, port site is still very sore, said normal from manipulating the muscle to put port in, will be better in 4-6 wks. He said don't bend will increase intraabdominal pressure, still don't do strenous exercise or lift over 20lbs. Give it 4-6 wks to completely heal.

I just started the not drinking with my food, :tt1: oh my gosh, that is going to take getting use to. I drink Water constantly and I reached for my "not there" glass 20x while I was eating, LOL! I have become a clock watcher, waiting for my hour to be up to drink. Friday starts my no liquid 30 min. before and 1 hr. after to start feeling full in my band.

Scheduled my first fill for July 8th, little nervous about that, the needle and all. But, I am ready!!

I am going to have to google the Protein bullets, cannot find them. We don't have a costco, we have Sam's.

Thank you all for the hints and help.

addy

Hey everyone! I was banded this morning at about 8:00. I was back home by 12:30. All went well. The pain is not too bad, I guess its the gas that is bothering me. Mostly in my left shoulder and some in the middle of my chest. Well, just wanted to let you know how it went. Going back to bed! Hope everyone else is doing great!

Jeanette

Hey everyone! I was banded this morning at about 8:00. I was back home by 12:30. All went well. The pain is not too bad, I guess its the gas that is bothering me. Mostly in my left shoulder and some in the middle of my chest. Well, just wanted to let you know how it went. Going back to bed! Hope everyone else is doing great!

Jeanette

Congratulations:thumbup: , don't forget those suppositories, if the gas x and walking don't help. They saved my life.

addy