Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anybody turning 40 this year??

Hello All. Perhaps I should have put this in the 30 something section but 39 is closer to 40 so figured some of the folks closer to 40 may venture this way as I have.

I am hitting the big 4-0 on August 14. Every since I turned 35, I have been dreading it. But that was the pre-band me. I got banded 1/19/07 so been a little over a year. I currently weigh about 40 pounds less than I did at age 16 when I got my driver's license. Thanks to my band (that I named Brad after by boyfriend-looong story), I feel and look better than I did at least 20 years ago. I am single, never married with no kids. Guys in their 20's are now hitting on me although I am not trying to be a Cougar. I don't dread the big 4-0 as much as I used to. Anybody else out there feel the same way? :confused:

Yes, but I am turning 44 in two weeks and I look 32 years old I have been told. It truly a new you enjoy and embrace the new you! You look fabulous!

I turned the BIG 40 in March. I got my band as birthday present to myself to Celebrate and its the best gift I have ever given myself. I look forward to forty and beyond now, because me and my band are in better health and will continue to get healthier everyday. I am no longer in Womens clothing and can actually wear normal sizes and my clothes fit looser every week. My friend (the band) has given my back my life and Im not gonna waste a moment worrying about how old I am. I feel better today then I have in twenty years!!!!!! Watch out world the band has unleashed me......

Edited by Paula08

I turned the big 4 - 0 in April 2008 - it was a great birthday - it doesn't feel any different than 30. :tongue2: But I want a do-over next year for my 41st with the weight loss!

Edited by Christina40
added a line and fixed grammar

I turned 40 on May 9. I went to Vegas to Celebrate. I say live it up. The big birthdays can be fun but it is up to us. I love any reason to party! Of course, the fact that I weigh 52 pounds less than I did when I turned 39 made it much better.

Hi all, I will be banded on June 30th and will be turning 40 on July 9th. This is my bday present to myself.

Its funny how all the years have gone by and I don't see myself as being old. I may feel old, with all the aches and pains due to being overweight, but I don't think of myself as old.

When I was younger, I thought 40 was old. Sometimes when I hear others talk about being 40, I almost revert to thinkng this way, until I realize I am at that point myself, LOL!!!!

When I turned 21, I was excited for a minute, then I realized I was closer to being 30, then 40, and so on. The years seem to go by faster, but more reason for me to make this decision for myself. If the years are going to keep going by so fast, it is better I get healthy and enjoy them. Otherwise, they will pass quickly and I will still be in the sad shape I am in now.

Hi all, I will be banded on June 30th and will be turning 40 on July 9th. This is my bday present to myself.

Its funny how all the years have gone by and I don't see myself as being old. I may feel old, with all the aches and pains due to being overweight, but I don't think of myself as old.

When I was younger, I thought 40 was old. Sometimes when I hear others talk about being 40, I almost revert to thinkng this way, until I realize I am at that point myself, LOL!!!!

When I turned 21, I was excited for a minute, then I realized I was closer to being 30, then 40, and so on. The years seem to go by faster, but more reason for me to make this decision for myself. If the years are going to keep going by so fast, it is better I get healthy and enjoy them. Otherwise, they will pass quickly and I will still be in the sad shape I am in now.

Congrats on your upcoming band & birthday! I know definitely what you mean the years speeding by and the weight added so many aches and pains - the band is a great gift to yourself. (Mine was too!)

I am happy to report since my banding and the loss of 25 lbs - I stopped snoring, shortness of breath is gone and my energy is through the roof!

Best of luck - 40 is only getting better!

PS. I look forward to wearing shorts - if not this summer next! (I haven't worn shorts in 8 years!)

well, cement in your mind how much your knees, ankles (and pretty much every other joint) hurts now. journal all your aches and pains. because, after a few months, ladies, i am telling you, you will feel 15 years younger and so will your knees. i encourage you to push yourself (not fanatic, now, just push yourself to move 5 more minutes than you think you can each day--you know, the opposite of the bahavior that got most of us in this condition in the first place :frown:) remind your body what it's made for.

then, after a few months, go back and read in your journal about all those unplesant things you used to experience so you can have a gratitude moment! for me, it's usually the moment i try to get out of bed. i no longer have to use my hands to get up and balance and wait for all the joints in my hips and legs to loosen up so i can walk. bliss, ladies, i tell you!

i'd love to hear about the other "growing younger" experiences people have had. as for me, i'm playing tennis 2-3 days a week and getting up and down from chairs without havin to listen to (or blush at) the creaking symphony played by my knees.

I will have to get me a journal just for my weight loss journey. Great idea.

I just turned 41 a few days ago. I didn't have any qualms about turning 40 and part of that probably is because my family has very good skin .... my mum is 70 and doesn't have many wrinkles - yay genes! I am more physically active and definitely more social now than I was when I turned 30 and feel better within myself as well. Bring on the next 40 years.

I turned 40 on June 4. I was banded June 12.My scales say that I have lost 15lbs but I can not see it but yesterday I put on a pair of dress pants that i haven't been able to wear for a year and guess what!....They Fit!!!!!!!!!! I am so excited and can not wait until I start seeing a huge difference. I am so ready to look great in my forties I definately feel better.

Hi All,

I turned 40 in January, I thought this was going to be the best year of my life because well let's just say I've had a lot of crappy years. But I think it's going to be my 41st birthday that will be the wonderful one! I'm currently waiting to hear back from my insurance as to whether or not I'm approved and then wait for a surgery date. So hopefully by January, my 41st bday, I will be looking good, feeling good, and smiling like I haven't smiled in a long time! I'm so excited to start this fabulous journey. To have the extra help from the band is so promising .....I've lost weight a million times before, but to keep it off is going to be so exciting! Anyone know how long my wait is going to be to hear anything from them?

Grats on all the 2008 40's!!! 40 is the new 30 you know!!! I personally can't wait to have 25-30 year olds hitting on me!! Just for the ego boost!

Have a great day!

Jodie

I'm turning 40 in a couple of weeks (26th). I don't have a problem with it except I'm starting to feel old and I'm not old! That's one of my many reasons for getting banded. I don't want to be 50 and feel like I'm going to die any day now!

I turn the big 40 in October. The band is a gift I gave myself for turning 40. I have been obese almost all my life and I got banded July 3rd. I am 16 pounds down as of today and hope to continue to do as good as time goes by. The more I lose, the more I want to lose. I am excited and hope everyone does well in his/her new journey to a better self.

I am turning 40 this December and what frightens me most is that I do not have any wrinkles (my photo is 6 months old) yet however, as I lose weight I am sure that they will start coming out! Yikes!