Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help on Mushy stage!!!!

I was banded May 28th. I started on the mushy foods today. :angry: Yuck :smile: Baby food is awful.:lol: I wish I could just buy a can of something off the shelve that would work. I been searching this forum but I don't have time to cook and work long hours. Any suggestions out there?

Don't know if you like it, but I lived off of Quaker instant grits for a week (specifically the cheese flavored....yum!!) when I was in mushies. You can tinker with the amount of Water added until you get something comfortable. Also, some of the thicker Soups will give you some variety. Campbells has a broccilli (sp?) and cheese Soup that's mushie - ok. You can even get a low fat version that still tastes good.

Just hang in there, it'll be better soon.

Try some refried Beans . Add a little of your fav salsa . Its about has mushie has you can get. also try some cream of wheat with your proten powder and milk. I lived on that combo for a week.

I was banded May 28th. I started on the mushy foods today. :confused: Yuck :thumbup: Baby food is awful.:wub: I wish I could just buy a can of something off the shelve that would work. I been searching this forum but I don't have time to cook and work long hours. Any suggestions out there?

Wow - you're on mushies already? My doctor won't let me go on mushies until June 8th and I was banded May 13th! You're lucky!

Anyway, my nutrionist said to mix baby veggies and baby Protein together. Add some salt and pepper and other seasonings and that helps a lot.

Personally, I won't eat the baby foods. I've stood in the baby food aisle and just walked away grossed out. My plan for mushies is to eat ground beef, refried Beans, spaghetti sauce (over that ground beef), etc.

You don't have to eat baby food. I realize you don't have time to cook, but can you take an hour or so and prepare a couple of meals to put into the frig? Heat up some low fat refried Beans. Add some salsa and low-fat sour cream and non-fat shredded cheese. That stores up nicely.

Get some high Protein Soups (those with meat) and blend those up in the blender. Store those in a container for a quick, on the go meal.

Yogurt is high in protein and quite good. Slim Fast, EAS and Atkins shakes are high in protein and are good.

I bought a mini-blender - the kind you mix the ingredients in, blend and then drink out of (it was like $9.99 at Wal-mart). Keep the ingredients at work and you can make a great Protein shake. Here's a recipe I use:

1 scoop of Slim Fast Protein chocolate powder

8 ounces of Non-Fat milk

1 small banana

2 Tbsp organic Peanut Butter

Ice

Blend and you have the most awesome shake! It's high in protein too.

Baby foods aren't your only option - it just takes a little bit of planning and you're good to go!

Hey Ericalyn.

The doctor told me that when I eat, it should take 30 minutes, not 20 and not 40. 30 minutes. So when your eating only 4oz of baby food. It starts out OK, but when you get to 20 minutes of nibbling, the last ten minutes were grossing me out. I don't think any amount of seasoning will help. LOL.

I am a meat and potato's kind of guy. I love the suggestion of ground beef, re fried Beans, spaghetti sauce (over that ground beef), etc.

Amazing how different doctors due things at different times. I feel I'm having no problems with the mushy food going down.

My first fill is either June 30th or July 7th. I just am not sure if I want to have to worry about having any problems at July 4th holidays.

I can understand not wanting to miss out at the holidays; I just went through Memorial Weekend with all the BBQ's and a wedding thrown in with awesome wedding cake to boot!

I didn't splurge - I did my lapband diet thing and I felt better for it. Tell yourself this - "This 4th of July isn't your last 4th of July and you can do this. Next 4th of July you'll be able to eat (within reason). This 4th of July will just be for celebrating with family and friends."

That's how I get through not eating tuna fish sandwiches, hot dogs, cheeseburgers, pizza - all the good stuff. I just tell myself, "This isn't the last _______ on the planet. I can skip it this once."

Hang in there!

I make that identical shake, except with premade vanilla SlimFast Optima, the low carb stuff.

I have that shake down to an art! I freeze ripe bananas, so they'll always be ready to go, and keep the blender cup and blade in the freezer too, so they're as cold as possible. About half an hour to an hour before I'm going to make the shake, I stick the can of SlimFast in the freezer to ensure that the shake will be as dense and shake-like as possible.

I also add a couple tablespoons of whey Protein powder, and a big pinch of salt - the salt is key for flavour, I think.

It really has been a fun project, perfecting that shake. I bought an Oster Professional Blender ($75 at Amazon) that feels like an outboard motor on my countertop - that thing could blend rocks!

But the best thing is the Oster Blend'n'Go cup, an insulated 18 ounce or so cup that you use on the blender instead of the normal blender container. I fill the cup with the frozen banana, SlimFast, Protein Powder and Peanut Butter and pinch of salt, then attach the blade assembly tightly to the cup, turn it upside down and plug it into the blender. You blend, and then you go! It's so great!

It truly is a miracle of modern science.

Also, I've been slowly switching over to using the powdered Peanut Butter, which has 75 less calories per tablespoon. That's still in progress - I can't throw out my original organic peanut butter! - but I think the shake will still work with the freeze-dried peanut butter.

an outboard motor on my countertop - that thing could blend rocks!

:thumbup:Now that's funny:thumbup:

Just to let everyone know. I quit the baby food junk. I am eating what I want, but I'm blending the heck out of it, then weighing it to 4oz. Plus I eat it using a baby spoon. This is working out perfect for me. :thumbup:Yippee:thumbup:

Try some refried Beans . Add a little of your fav salsa . Its about has mushie has you can get. also try some cream of wheat with your proten powder and milk. I lived on that combo for a week.

Don't know if this is too late, but I pureed some chicken breast in the blender with chicken broth. Then, added fat free refried Beans, little ff sour cream and salsa. Just like the inside of an enchilada.:tongue2:

I have done chicken breast in the blender with chicken broth. But I'll have to try the rest of the stuff, sounds good. Thanks:biggrin2: