Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Band Slippage

I went to the docs on May the 7th for a fill (1.8cc) and I was fine for about two weeks. All of a sudden it was like I couldn’t even drink and would throw up everything! Even water! So I waited about a week to see if the throwing up was just aggravating things and I was swallon or something and it just got to the point where I was dehydrated because I couldn’t get anything down. Called doc yesterday, they had me come in right away and discovered under flouro that I had band slippage. Actually he said it was the worse he has ever seen. They emptied my band and I go back in a week to see if it corrected itself. The doc said he would give it a 30% probability that I wont need surgery because it is bad and that I will need to get surgery again within 3 weeks! I am a nervous wreck! One because I am uncomfortable now that they released my band (it hurts). I am also scared about the insurance take on all of this. Mostly the recovery period! Has anyone gone through this?? Please talk to me!<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

Edited by Hare

Did he also put you on a liquid diet as well? My band slipped, although I don't think it was as severe as yours. My doctor took all my fill out for close to two months, and I did a liquid diet for one week after he took the fill out. That resolved my slip.

Please keep us updated on how things are going for you. We are all hoping for the best.

He did put me on a liquid diet and I am gonna go in and see him again today because everytime I drink anything I am in pain within 5 minutes after. My palms are all sweaty just thinking about what is gonna happen. I almost didnt want to call and tell them about my new pain because I just want to ignore it so I dont get surgery again. Yano outta sight outta mind lol. I am still so glad I did this. Look how much weight I lost. I would of never been able to do it without it! I guess the band is supposed to be placed on an angle and mine is horizontal with my stomach spilled over the top. Yikes it sounds worse than it is.

Hare- I am sorry that you are having problems. I had revision surgery and things have been pretty good since then. If your doctor said it is the worse he has seen, I doubt an unfill will resolve it. Surgery may be necessary. The healing period after the 2nd surgery was much easier for me. My best advice to you is to keep in close contact with your doctor and not to say "Out of sight, out of mind". We need to treat the band with care or we could lose this precious tool! That was the biggest lesson I learned from my slip. Be careful and I hope this is resolved soon one way or another. Best of health to you! If you have any specific questions for me, feel free to ask.

Hare,

I had surgery yesterday to remove my band. I've always had problems with my band but last week I was unable to keep Water down and that was it for me, I didnt want the band anymore! I had the band put on in Mexico and was afraid my insurance would not cover the removal but it finally did this last go round in the ER! I had to go to the emergency room 3 times and to one that had a Bariatric doctor (I also had to ask to see him specifically).

Good luck to you!

Edited by stella
spelling

Well here is my update. I go for another xray of some sort on Wednesday and I am scheduled for surgery for this Thursday. I will keep u all updated and thank you so much for the responses...

Good luck on Thursday... I just found out that my band was horizontal and there is stomach filling over the top off it! And when they went to deflate me, my port had flipped. So I am having surgery tomorrow to fix my port and get unfilled. Hopefully my band will correct itself but somehow I feel it won't! I just can't figure out how this happened. It is very frustrating!

Just wanted to let you know that you are not alone! Take care and good luck!

Hey ya'll,

I just got my slipped band fixed/repositioned. The recovery was pain-free. I didn't have to take any pain meds. I feel so much better after the surgery to fix the slip. I have no pain when eating, and no reflux or vomittng! Water was a major problem before just to drink it, and that is not a problem anymore! I'm thrilled it could be fixed!

My only problem is I am a self pay and am not looking forward to all the bills coming my way. But the band slip surgery to repair it was so easy, I was driving by day 3. Good luck to ya.

just found out today after a fluro that I have a slipped band. I am scheduled for repositioning in a few weeks. Reading that people have been successful after have this is so helpful and encouraging bc right now I am devastated. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

<o:p></o:p>

I also had a flipped port and had that repaired six months ago and though I was the only one to have all this complications with in only 8 months.<o:p></o:p>

<o:p></o:p>

I liked to hear more about the recovery, was it like the first surgery with the diet progression? Do you feel a difference or relief?<o:p></o:p>

I too am also being scheduled for a revision/replacement due to slip and pouch dilation. The doctors feel confindent they can do it but must always warn the the health of the stomach is there number 1 concern and that there is always a chance they might have to remove the band but this does not mean it couldn't be put back in at a future date. My surgeon seems confident that he can reposition though so I am just grateful to have the opportunity to get it fixed and will pray that he can do it. the other option is to revise to a gastric sleeve if they can't do it and i don't want that so they are going to give it their very best to reposition a new band into place.

Good luck everyone with revisions and please lets keep each other posted on this complication site . I expect to have my surgery in approx 2 -3 weeks.

Well, I hate to say it but it seems the lap band is not for me-I belive more than 5% of the people who get it, slip. I would venture to say this % is much higher. I got the band 4 years ago---it was great, I lost 52 lbs--life was good. I only had 30 more lbs to go. At Christmas, I was beginning to get acid reflux, so I went to see my doctor. The news was my band had slipped, and it would require surgery. So, I had the surgery to correct the band. After six months, it slipped again--I went to see my doctor and he said I could have surgery to correct it again or have a different type of surgery, which he did recommend. I asked him to remove all saline from my band and let me think about what to do. I have decided to have my band removed as I guess it is just not the answer for me and I do not want to have invasive surgery. I am thankful I can have it removed as any other surgery would be lifetime. I have friends who have had the bypass surgery and most of them have gained back their weight, I have also had many friends who have had lap band--and most have lost about 30-40 lbs and have kept it off but have yet to reach their goal. I also know some friends, who have lost over 80 lbs and it seems to be their answer--they follow strict guidelines. So I guess I am a Lapband Looser and am in the 5% category. I hate it because I really hoped it was the answer to my weight loss issues but what I found, is it is just as restrictive as a diet and I should probably go on Weight Watchers and exercise and do it right, that is my plan anyway. Good luck to all of you and if anyone has had it removed, will you let me know how it went? I am having my surgery Aug 5th.

My Lapband slipped after three months. Dr. tried to reposition but had to remove it. I cannot tell you how sad I was to have had it removed. I am now waiting to have RNY surgery in Sept.

Good Luck to you. I sure hope it can fix itself.

Hugs

paula

Hi everyone. Sounds like I may have joined the club.

I spent the 18th and 19th in the hospital. Dehydrated, couldn't keep anything down, lost 12 pounds from Monday until Friday, I got a fill on Monday, went back on Wednesday and got some un-filled, went back on Thursday and got the rest of my Monday's fill taken out.

I got up on Friday morning and went back to the Dr., they took more out and sent me for the swallow test,

I got instructed not to leave until the hospital called the Dr. with the results.

Next thing I knew my doctor was standing there. He removed another needle full of fill and re-did the test, Took another needle full out and re-did the test.

Then I was admited , when I was released I was sent home on a liquid diet for the next week.

Dr. said my band was laying wrong and he was hoping by letting the band rest it would correct itself.

The strange this is when he was admitting me he ask about medicines and I told him about a nasal spray I had just started for sinus drainage, he thinks that is what caused mine.

I was so blocked not even the liquid would go thru the band.

I have never even thought about having it removed. I haven't lost like everyone else talks about, only 40 something pounds. But I am thrilled, I wasn't able to lose more than a couple of pounds here and there and then when I stopped dieting it would come back.