Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

LAP-BAND Learning Curve

LAP-BAND Blueprint

Everyone has high hopes of reaching of their sweet spot. I hear this all the time “I just want to be tight”. LAP-BAND Patients feel like if the band is tight it will stop them from overeating. With this mindset all the responsibility is placed on the band; and it will only lead to frustration. The band is tricky; there is definitely a learning curve.

· The band was designed to eat a normal meal. A normal meal means you eat a smaller meal without side effects. If you are properly adjusted you can eat without experiencing Productive Burping or much sliming.

· Learn to chew your food to liquid form. Chewing your food to liquid form will reduce the amount of productive burps; this will also help reduce the sliming effect as well.

· Avoid Soft Food Syndrome. If you are eating softer foods because it is easier, you have no way of knowing if you are properly adjusted. Eating softer foods allows you to eat more and can halt your weight loss altogether.

· Eat your Protein first. Eating Protein first ensures you are getting enough protein to keep your energy levels up.

· Don’t be so dependent on the band. Some patients are expecting the band to be their “Food Police”. Taking responsibility for what you are eating and how you are eating will take away the disappointed feeling.

· The band is tighter in the morning. There is no scientific reason why the band is tighter in the morning. Just because the band is tight in the morning is no excuse to skip a meal. Mix up a Protein Shake to start your day.

· Being too tight serves no good purpose. If the band is too tight and you are experiencing PB after PB this will not aid in the weight loss efforts. Also having a band that is too tight could result in a slip; which could result in another surgery.

· The band is not properly adjusted. You are wide open and can eat anything you want, this is a sign you are not properly adjusted. Make an appointment with your surgeon to have another fill.

· Tweaking your band. It could be as simple as .01 CC to get you to your sweet spot. Don’t think you have to have a full 1.0 CC to be properly adjusted

· Don’t compare yourself to others. Just because someone has reached their sweet spot with 2.50 CC’s doesn’t mean you are going to reach your sweet spot with the same amount of fill. There are too many different size bands on the market and the person you are comparing your fill to might not even have the same band as you do.

· Don’t deprive yourself. Eat what you like in moderation. The more processed the food the easier it is to eat with the band; it also means more calories. Read your labels if a serving size is 15 chips then only eat 15 chips not the whole bag.

Keep in touch with your surgeon so he/she knows what is going on. If you are not following up with your surgeon they can’t get you to your sweet spot. Don’t feel bad if you have not lost any weight since your last visit; your surgeon will not yell at you. Especially if you keep a food diary and exercise diary; this will aid your surgeon to help you stay on track.

If you are newly post-op take advantage of this time to really learn how to chew your food; trust me you will “Thank” yourself down the road. If you are properly adjusted; you will have to chew your food to liquid form; otherwise you will be experiencing productive burping and sliming. This leads to frustration and could possibly lead you to soft food syndrome which will halt your weight loss efforts.

You have worked so hard to have the surgery and expected to have amazing results. It is possible if you work with your band as opposed to working against it. Don’t think of this as being another diet; think of this as being a “Lifestyle”. If you watch skinny fit people eat you will see they still allow themselves treats; you should be no different.

Remember you had surgery on your stomach not your brain. It will be hard at times and you might make poor choices. Getting back on the band-wagon is easy to do. Go back to the band basics and you will see the results you want and deserve.

Edited by CoachCher

This is extremely helpful. Thank You. I am going for my first fill on 6/10 and have printed this out for future reference!!

Thanks, often I am asked by other bandsters that use the same Dr. to help them as they are about to be banded or newly banded and are not sure they remember all the smart rules. They get confused by all the information they see on these sites especially regarding restrictions. I am always telling them it shouldn't be a negative restriction. They seem to feel if they are not PBing or so tight they can't swallow food they are too loose.

You have stated what I tell them all the time so well, I will be printing this and sharing it with them so they can carry it with them and feel rest assured they are heading in the right direction. Thank you again. Sugrbear.

Edited by sugrbear

Great article, well written!

My surgeon just said to me "I have a lot of patients that get banded and never come back", to which my response was "Perhaps they GAINED some weight and were too embarrassed to come see you!"

Your point of keeping in touch with the surgeon is so true--even if we gain weight, we MUST keep that appointment because it is to our benefit to talk to him! Even if you are disappointed in yourself, he can help you get back on track... :tongue2:

I know how patients are, they get frustrated and avoid their surgeon at all cost. That's when I say they need to see their surgeon the most is when they are struggling. It breaks my heart when I hear clients are struggling and they are scared to visit their surgeon. No one should ever be scared to go see their surgeon.

What I am finding the longer I am banded and the more people I meet in groups or that email me, is that once their initial cost is paid or expired if they are on a one year/all visit/fills program they don't want to "pay" for additional visit either so they don't go. I think people are not realizing this is not a one or two shot deal and thats it. It is a life time of maintenance, and follow-up and we should be using these doctors whenever our band life is off kilter. They need to consider the on going cost after the initial cost and plan it into their budgets, flexible spending (many insurance plans that won't pay for the surgery like mine, will let you submit the cost for visits against your flexible spending plans) at the very least for one or two follow-ups each year after goal. Sugrbear:thumbup:

It's just like purchasing a new car. In order for it to work according to the manufacturer requirements you have to do basic maintenance and the band should be looked at the same way.

You are not going to spend $25,000 for a new car and never change the oil. In essence patients are doing this if they are not following up with their surgeon.

I am on a Quest to educate everyone about Basic Band Maintenance.

this was a great article. I had my first fill on June 5th. I was banded on April 21, 2008. I also wanted to feel tight as I thought it would keep me from overeating. Dr. Shah gave me 2cc's for my first fill. I can eat a normal meal without side effects and feel comfortable and full. Not Thanksgiving full, but who would want to feel so full and so sick. this was a real eye opener, thanks again.

Deb

18 pounds down since surgery day.

I love this forum. I came here today with a question and this completely answered it. I have only lost 12 pounds since my 3/25/08 surgery and it has been frustrating. I recently went back to an old "food plan" which was very balanced, but Protein heavy. I think this was the key for me.

Thanks for posting this information!!!!

Congratulations Deb!! I am so glad the article was helpful. Consider it your Lap-band Blueprint. Print it out and carry it with you so you will be reminded daily this is a new "Lifestyle" and one you should embrace. Keep up the great work, you are going to do amazing.

((HUGS))

~Cher~

I have only lost 12 pounds since my 3/25/08 surgery and it has been frustrating.

You are doing awesome!! 12 pounds in less than three is great for a bandster. Remember you are not going to have crazy weight loss like a Gastric Bypass patient. Slow and steady is way of the band. It's a mind set so please try to remove the "ONLY". I know it's hard, I was guilty of saying "ONLY" as well. You have "LOST" 12 pounds and again that is amazing. Rejoice in your 12 pound loss and think about how much you are going to lose

Believing in your Success!!

((HUGS))

~Cher~

The article is very much the truth. I have avoided several of these reccommendations and I am seeing very slow weight loss. I am relying on the band to do all the work. It is very difficult to think different when you have had the same thought process about food all your life. These tips in the article tell me that my Dr. is not just singleing me out and giving me these rules. I am pleased to hear that it is okay to eat what you desire, but in moderation. I found the article very helpful for me. Thanks Kerry in KS.:rolleyes2:

Cher, I am eating way too much. I can't seem to control it. I get full and then the minute I seem to have space I eat again. Help!!!!!!!!!! I was banded June 18, 2007.

BB

Edited by Barbara13

:thumbup: Hi, this is an excellant bit of advice. I feel so motivated now. I have forwarded this to my surgeon. This is some of the best advice I've received since my surgery in Feb 2006! and it's now 2008...