Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help I am starting to feel like a failure.

Help, I was banded 1-17-08 I have only lost 28lbs. I have had 2 fills. I believe I have 4.8cc in my band now. I have not lost any wt in a while. I can barely eat a little chicken at times, no bread. I am loosing my hair really bad. And I am staying really tired. I go back 6-9-08 for another fill. I am just not sure what to do. help.

Michelle - I'm relatively new to this having only been banded since December, and not really having any trouble getting food down, but my first thought would be are you getting enough Protein, especially if you are losing a lot of hair. You may not be getting enough calories and your body could be in starvation mode. Are you drinking a high protien drink every day? The doctor suggestions are somewhere between 40 to 60 grams of Protein a day. Tons of options out there, like Isopure, nectar, Slim Fast, etc.

I'm sure others will come along with more thoughts, but thats my two cents! I'm sure you can work through it!

Tina

You need more Protein ! That is why you are losing your hair. If you are unable to eat solid Proteins you might need a slight unfill or maybe try Protein shakes. Don't feel like a failure, you just need to find the right balance. You also might not be eating enough, which could be causing you to hang onto your weight. You can do this:biggrin:

tmarie, you were faster than me!

Michelle34, I would say, first cheerup,,right now is a new start, go back to basics, look at all your basics first, are you eating the portions and calories your Dr recommended first? Not less. As Tmarie07 said, if you are eating too little your body will hang on to every bit of weight because it thinks you are starving it.

Are you working out? How much and how often? Do you need to start or change up your routine? If you are like me, you will have to change your routine every month, the time, intensity, rotation of what you do, etc. My body thrives on change. Some folks can do treadmill every day. I have to do treadmill 3x week, 20 min,, then next month it might be 3x but 25 min with incline, and after I do elliptical.. then it may be only 2x week for a month and do something else. Anyway..are you taking your measurements. If you are working out, maybe you are gaining muscle which is heavier than fat and your body hasn't caught up yet and soon you will start to loose again.

Are you staying with low cal or no cal drinks? Or are you slowly slipping in a milkshake here or more fruit juice there? Like I said go back to basics.

Since you have a fill scheduled talk about all this when you go, write down questions and their answers. You may need a fill or remove some fill. chicken is not easy for some to go down, especially white meat, too dry. Try dark meat. I honestly stick with more fish these days. I especially like canned chicken of the Sea, skinless boneless pink salmon mixed with a little mayo, , sometimes I add a little applesauce to it. I also like Tilipia. But its all a matter of finding what will work for you. Try many different foods until you find the ones you can tolerate well. And of course remember, chew chew chew.

Protein comes in many of the foods you eat, some like the shakes, premade, powders, etc. I prefer in my food. But when I need a boost I use whey Protein powder in vanilla with fresh or frozen fruit and a little Vitamin Water, ice, sometimes I add yogurt, usually not. and mix into a fruit smoothy. I only drink about 4-5oz at a time because you need apprx 60-70 grms Protein a day however your system can only absorb 20 grams at a time. You need to spread out your protein all day. I also use Peanut Butter spoon at night. Yes you heard me, just like a kid LOL. But you can also use "Biotin" a supplement to help with the loss of hair, I take that everyday and it has helped a ton. I had Hair loss before surgery due to hormones and low protien intake and didn't know that was why, Started taking Biotin, and now it has stopped and I have fingernails for the first time in 52 years. I use the small tablets from Walmart you can crush. they are the cheapest and easiest for me.

Anyway,, go back to basics,, just start at the begining again, the great thing about the band you can do that, and not gain all our weight back. Some Drs would say you have done great, you have lost 1lb a week since surgery. That is what many of them shoot for. Not higher numbers. It is 28 lbs lost not gained, be proud. Ask your Dr for advice, that is what he is there for and what you paid for. Good luck

I think you need an unfill because you are not eating enough. You have to have enough calories or you will not lose weight. You also need protien. Take Biotin for hair loss. don't buy the high dollar stuff....go to Walmart and get 100 pills for 5 bucks. Niacin is also a good Vitamin to take for hair and nails.

When i had my last fill I stopped losing weight. I went back and had .5cc removed and started losing again immediately. I couldn't get the recommended calories until i had an unfill.

If you don't want to get an unfill get you some high protien ensure or boost. It will give you the calories you need and your Vitamins. I would suggest you call your doctor though.

Kellye

Michelle, if you have a hard time getting in 1-2 oz I wouldn't get a fill. Make sure you are eating plenty of solid Protein. If you can't get that much in you are too tight. You may want to get a slight unfill .2 or .3. Good luck.